Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im looking to rebuild my trail rappy
its a 01 660 stock bore and cam with k&n filter, lid off and fmf slip on .
jets are 155 160, pilots 25and was wondering what brand of piston for 686 build for pump gas and also want lots of torq because im 330lbs and 6'3.
and cam ,maby stage 3 with new valve train and stock porting?
any ideas if this is good or cam size ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
If you get a cam that is stage 2 or bigger you need to upgrade to the dual spring kit. For a really strong middle-top end on a stock bore I know the stage 2 was good. I think that stage 3 may loose too much bottom end for the little top end you gain. However, with a larger cam you can sometimes increase the compression, which helps make up for bottom end losses.

It mainly depends on your riding style: woods/dunes? lugging/revving?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
woods defenetly lugging it around.
i plan on 686 with 11.1 maby more? i think this cause if i go higher on compretion i might lose realiability

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
i did an 11:1 wiseco with a stage 2 cam and some porting and an open airbox and yosh full exhaust, ran very well. Did the springs and upgraded the valves too. Might wanna think about a rod and crank, the stock rod is WEAK. Depending how far in you go, since you have an 01 might want to look into a tranny upgrade for the 2nd gear as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tranny ive been told is done and saving for next winter build to do all at the same time sparks exaust,686 with 700 sleeve and all new top end ,although i dont think i will be able to do any porting it would be nice

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
tranny ive been told is done and saving for next winter build to do all at the same time sparks exaust,686 with 700 sleeve and all new top end ,although i dont think i will be able to do any porting it would be nice
Why cant you do any porting, installing a cam without porting really wont gain you too much since as far as I am concerned, a lot of power can be gained with porting over a cam change, if I was on a budget, I would spend money on porting first over a cam...........

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I agree with willy on the porting, if you're not going to port the head I'd stop with the stage 2.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
not to be a pain but roughly how much should i expect to gain in hp with porting from say a mild trail port and does throtle responce gain noticably.
and if i were to do all at the same time what compretion and cam size would work.
I realize you guys get these questions all the time and it must get tiresome to answer, but a good idea to start with so i can get parts ahead of time befor i tear it apart for the porting
thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Really depends on the the combination of the parts, but an 11:1 102mm with a stage 2 cam and a trail port should put you in the range of 56-58hp. The porting is worth a few hp, but exactly how much is hard to say since there are varying levels and qualities of port work. You can go bigger on the cam, but I wouldn't recommend it given the power delivery you're going to want and the parts you're putting with it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
perfect answer thank you this will give me a good starting point

1 - 10 of 10 Posts