Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have to change piston, I would like to gain some extra power, do you recommend a high compression piston? What advantages and disadvantages do you have? I currently have double exhaust, UNI filter and MSD Blaster

·
Super Moderator
7,875 Posts
What year is your machine? The most I would safely do myself is 11:1 or 11.5:1 for pump gas. Added advantage is more oomph on the bottom end.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What year is your machine? The most I would safely do myself is 11:1 or 11.5:1 for pump gas. Added advantage is more oomph on the bottom end.
Year 2006, I was thinking of a 11: 1, will you lose reliability? will be worth?

·
Registered
327 Posts
No loss in reliability with 11-1 piston. A stage2 HC will give you more top end and keep the low end power with the piston.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,818 Posts
You have to be careful with your piston choice. As said in another thread, your gas is 91 RON that may not allow the use of a 11:1 piston. If you're able to get 95 RON on a consistent basis that may help.
Didn't your last piston destroy itself with detonation? You may need to pull timing from your MSD and use a colder plug.

PM sent, did you get it?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to be careful with your piston choice. As said in another thread, your gas is 91 RON that may not allow the use of a 11:1 piston. If you're able to get 95 RON on a consistent basis that may help.
Didn't your last piston destroy itself with detonation? You may need to pull timing from your MSD and use a colder plug.

PM sent, did you get it?
My current piston is in good condition but since I had to open the engine because I take the opportunity to improve a bit, the quad with the msd and the gasoline I have did not really give me problems, they also told me that the 2018 piston would improve a bit compression without reaching 11: 1 ... what brands do you recommend to look?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I like CP pistons. The piston for the 15 and later models are 10-1 compression. If you can run premium pump gas 11-1 will work.

·
10,818 Posts
My current piston is in good condition but since I had to open the engine because I take the opportunity to improve a bit, the quad with the msd and the gasoline I have did not really give me problems, they also told me that the 2018 piston would improve a bit compression without reaching 11: 1 ... what brands do you recommend to look?
I usually recommend 'CP' pistons, but I've recently read some poor reviews, but I would still use them. You might check out 'Diamond" pistons. The real problem is your gas quality. If you can use 95 RON all the time, the11:1 piston may work good. Otherwise the 10:1 factory piston might be a better choice if it will fit. I haven't got verification the newer pistons fit the older cranks and deck height. Over the years, Yamaha has changed cranks a few different times and rod length and stroke may not be the same as the older models.

T-web, do you know?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I usually recommend 'CP' pistons, but I've recently read some poor reviews, but I would still use them. You might check out 'Diamond" pistons. The real problem is your gas quality. If you can use 95 RON all the time, the11:1 piston may work good. Otherwise the 10:1 factory piston might be a better choice if it will fit. I haven't got verification the newer pistons fit the older cranks and deck height. Over the years, Yamaha has changed cranks a few different times and rod length and stroke may not be the same as the older models.

T-web, do you know?
pin piston is the same number part just in case that helps something, if it didn't work I think I would just put on new rings but I wanted to gain some power XD

·
10,818 Posts
pin piston is the same number part just in case that helps something, if it didn't work I think I would just put on new rings but I wanted to gain some power XD
The pin would be the same and the aftermarket piston will probably be the same. The difference would be variations in the stroke or rod length. One millimeter varation would affect deck height and overall compression. Chances are everything is compatible, I just haven't verified it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts