Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some one please help my carbs keep blowing off my raptor i thaught it was the exhaust so i pulled the baffle out of my stock exhaust and i have the air box lid off i also have a filter that came with a alumium flange that bolted to the inside of the air box prettm moch replaces the stock filter i tried cleaning the carbs i would like to buy a jet kit and a new pipe but i would rather see it ride right first before i spend money on something i dont need what happens is well first the carbs just blow off i used a piece of wire and tied the carbs on tight they didnt come off but it would back fire at high r p m s if im just crusin and staying off the gas it runs good but as soon as i go full throttle or close to full throttle it just bogs down seems like at the eend of each gear when throttle is close to full nothen does not stall just 000000 at full throttle please help my bike is a 2001 660 i just want to go fast i got smoked by a honda 400ex today would love to smoke him next week thanks in advance

·
Registered
349 Posts
if you running with air box lid off you need to jet it, first

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Backfires that blow the carbs off are due to being too lean... everything you describe as having done makes it MORE lean. You need to rejet to richen the mixture up to match your mods, or return to stock intake, airbox and exhaust.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
IF your bike has stock jetting which would be 22.5 pilots, and mains in the area of 145s, then I dont understand how it would even run, any small mods to the intake air box system mandates a jetting change.
From the sketchy list of your bike I gather it has no lid and a stock exhaust with no baffle. This alone requires a jetting change, mains, needles and pilots............
For a start, try #25 pilots, Mikuni mains around 155 to 165 with the smaller jet on the left since they are smaller and you will also need a new needle, any aftermarket needle will work, I suggest either GYTR or Vito's, if you decide to get a DJ kit, they do not supply the #25 pilots and their main jet numbering is unique, so you will be on your own there...............

·
Registered
298 Posts
I really like the Vito's kit...Comes with everything you need plus finger adjustable fuel screws. Willykiller and Quadmaniac both helped me a lot with my jetting...They really know their stuff!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info and i will try every thing you have suggested but there is one thing when i bought this bike on my first ride the carbs blew off the guy at the shop said it was a choake prob and he fixed the cable at that time everything was stock compleat airbox and exhaust it ran good for a couple of rides than carbs came off again the reason i took the baffle out and airbob lid off is i thaught to mush back pressure thanks again

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If you got to see it run to it's full potential before you jetted it then jetting would not be required.

Get some 02 and newer carb boots. 01's also had problems of the carbs blowing off.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If you got to see it run to it's full potential before you jetted it then jetting would not be required.

Get some 02 and newer carb boots. 01's also had problems of the carbs blowing off.
This is true that the 01s had problems with carbs blowing off, but so did my 02 have this problem, what I found to help the most was the #25 pilots..........

·
Registered
238 Posts
This is true that the 01s had problems with carbs blowing off, but so did my 02 have this problem, what I found to help the most was the #25 pilots..........
So the 02's have bigger boots huh? I was having this problem as well with it blowing off. I threw some hose clamps on there and it made everything pretty solid, but half way thru the wkend the throttle side hose clamp snapped.. I threw a ziptie on there and was good to go for the rest of the wkend.
Just looking for the more permanent cure. I tried evening out the space from intake side of carb and on airbox but still didn't seem to give me enough to keep the carb on with out the hose clamps.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I belive the newer style is a tighter fit with a larger ring that grips the carbs better. I though it was only 01's but the older style of boots could have trickled in to the 02's.

UPP Racing makes a Poly boot that is supose to be good as well.

And as willy said a properly tuned carb is the best cure, but good boots doesnt hurt ethire.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I know this thread is old but I had this happen today, and last year.. last year I found the main fuse to be loose... so I jammed some wire in it to help tighten the fuse up and it has worked since. But I'm just trying to rule out my oneway. if its a bad connection then it might send enough power to turn the motor over but not enough power to turn it over all the way, so it kicks back blowing the carbs out?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The raptors starter isnt fused. Check the battery cable connections at the starter, engine ground, starter relay, and battery.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The raptors starter isnt fused. Check the battery cable connections at the starter, engine ground, starter relay, and battery.
So its possible a bad connection causing the kick back? I know I need to replace my oneway with the l&a but was hoping I could atleast use this oneway till the rest of the year... I want to get my yz right and sell it lol then I could spend some money on my raptor!!

When I said main fuse I meant the starter relay fuse

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I doubt the kick back is electrical.

·
Registered
893 Posts
So its possible a bad connection causing the kick back? I know I need to replace my oneway with the l&a but was hoping I could atleast use this oneway till the rest of the year... I want to get my yz right and sell it lol then I could spend some money on my raptor!!

When I said main fuse I meant the starter relay fuse
If your one way is acting up you should replace it ASAP before it sends metal shavings through your oiling system. When they fail, the worse they get the more chance of metal chunks circulating through the engine.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ok I will try to pull the oneway this week some time and see what it looks like, it was really my first thought when I heard it... the l&a seems to be a good upgrade anyway

1 - 18 of 18 Posts