Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im tired of not being able to ride when and were I would like to because of the local tracks being "non-quad" friendly or if they are its only on selected dates so Im gonna throw a leg over this:

Ive never owned a bike and have only ridden one one time really so its gonna be a new experience for me. Later this year is when Im gonna buy so its not like Im going today to get one but this is what Im gonna do....wish me luck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
good choice, i would def. go with a 125 since u dont have much exp. on one. i used to ride a 250, but i feel way more comfortable on a 125. way more fun to ride at the mx track also.

·
Registered
350 Posts
VelociRaptor said:
Yeah, thats what Im gettin and whats in the pic- YZ125. Besides, some of the fastest lap times at a few local tracks have been done on a 125.
125 is a great bike, still ALOT of power once it kicks in. The 250 and 125 are night and day, don't make that jump until you are really comfy with riding and are extremely bored with the power.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
you are going to buy a 125 now and a 250 down the road. Save yourself some green and go with a 250.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
DECEPTiON21 said:
you are going to buy a 125 now and a 250 down the road. Save yourself some green and go with a 250.
+1

You will out grow that 125 quickly, take it from someone who did.......I know many people myself included that find 125's harder to ride than a larger bike...Reason being the power on a 125 is up top on the pipe, you have to rev the shit out of the motor for any power...They have little if anything down low at all..

Get the bigger bike, start slow, and grow into it.....I wish I did 'cause it would have saved me some money.. :thumbsup:

I upgraded to a YZ426F and found that bike much easier to ride 'cause you always had power, you did not have to wait on the power band.. :3question:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Machy said:
yea, those 450 dirt bikes have alot of power, you could drive one up a tree it has so much power
I have not ridden a new 450 yet, I'm wanting to try one real bad though !!

I looked at a new Kawi 450 a while back, they are pretty sic.. :confused:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a YZ125 and am 6' 00" and weigh around 175 and it pulls me around no problem. I've ridden 250s and they are easier to ride in my opinion... unless you get a flywheel weight for a 125, that will calm it down and make it WAY easier to ride. If you're planning on getting into racing seriously you might want to opt for the 250, but if you're just wanting to have a good time then the 125 will do just fine. Plus you can find a brand new 125 for ~$4000 if you get last year's model. Can't argue with that!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I heard the best 450 is the KTM, powerband is ALOT smoother than all the other jap bikes. Go for a 250, your gonna be reving the crap out of that 125 all day, 250's you have to rev pretty good as well (2 strokes)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Find yourself an old KX500 or CR500, that way you know you will never be short on power... :eek: :eek:

Just kidding...... :grin_nod: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I never got the chance to ride an open class 2-stroker, my friend Mike did..He was real close to turning pro for mx, he rode the KX500 and all he said was "you better know what your doing because that bike will hurt ya" I thought that was pretty funny !! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
yea, it is like getting on a bull in a rodeo.... I dont see how your average joe could ever handle one, my dad raced mx all through highschool, quit because of college football, then went back to doing it. I think he could tell ya what any type of dirt bike felt like, he use to have a Honda 650 :lol:

·
Registered
145 Posts
first dirt bike i ever rode was a 250 2stk, no problem, just dont full throttle it first time and it will be fine. the power is all in your hands. for track and mx a 125 is fine though, i wouldnt ride it.

im lookin for a kx 500 right now - or a ktm 380

·
Registered
183 Posts
i ride a rm 125 every weekend. i dont think i could ever get bored of the power. we take it to the mx track and do some trails with it. i do things on it that i wouldn't do on a 250.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.