Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a raptor but am thinking of it. I want some thing I can hit trails, mx track, and then hit the drag strip and not get dusted (mostly by raptors). I heard the raptors can't take turns or hit jumps like a yfz but is there a way to close that gap? Also is there any common problems to look out for with the 2018+ raptors

·
Registered
420 Posts
Suspension and setup is the key to both bikes. The raptor is more conducive to do a variety of things which makes it a good choice. For mx, widening will give better cornering coupled with lower ride height, a wider stance will help on most trails, obviously tight trails like narrower widths. Get your suspension dialed in and setup properly and it will perform great.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with 2gils, get that suspension dialed in right away with custom springs/valves and get some good tires on her. World of difference.

I think you gotta decide what you want to do. I ride trails almost strictly so the Raptor was an easy choice. I wanted a renegade too, but they are heavy which steered me away. The Raptor also has a higher center of gravity thank the 450 which is largely why it is outperformed in corners, but I’ll tell you I don’t think I’ve ever hit a corner and felt like I couldn’t blast it hard enough to scare the shit out of me. This is just my trail experience though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Also, the 2015+ bikes come with an AIS, you will probably want to delete that. Add a poly case saver too. Should be good to go.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
Don't be put off by any well taken care of older machines either. Sometimes you can get a used one for a very good price, then have plenty of leftover coin for any mods you want to do.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension and setup is the key to both bikes. The raptor is more conducive to do a variety of things which makes it a good choice. For mx, widening will give better cornering coupled with lower ride height, a wider stance will help on most trails, obviously tight trails like narrower widths. Get your suspension dialed in and setup properly and it will perform great.
On widening the stance and lowering it do you have any recommendations on what to use and

·
Registered
380 Posts
Widening the front with wheel spacers will increase bump steer, and handling and control will decrease.
Wider A-arms are the best way to go.
Widening and lowering a trail bike isn't the best idea either.
You should ride it stock first and get a good feel for it before making big changes to heigth and width.
Body positioning and suspension sag set to Your weight make a huge difference too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Widening the front with wheel spacers will increase bump steer, and handling and control will decrease.
Wider A-arms are the best way to go.
Widening and lowering a trail bike isn't the best idea either.
You should ride it stock first and get a good feel for it before making big changes to heigth and width.
Body positioning and suspension sag set to Your weight make a huge difference too.
If I widen the front should I do the same to the rear? And if so are spacers ok?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Rear spacers vs a wider axle comes down to strength, with the wider axle being stronger.
A rear wheel on a spacer isn't bad, but it can't take the same impact as the wheel being bolted directly to a steel hub.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Spend your mod money on remote resivoir front shocks(if the Raptor you buy doesn't have them), and send all 3 out to be revalved and set for Your weight.
As well as other extremely useful things, like handguards.
And ride it as hard as you can.
THEN consider if you still want it wider.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Have you ridden either yet at a dealership? They almost always have both models.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,598 Posts
It's hard for any bike to be set up the same to do trails, MX, and drag strip. The suspension and gearing could be different for each

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's hard for any bike to be set up the same to do trails, MX, and drag strip. The suspension and gearing could be different for each
That's very true, but for a beginner, I don't think he could ride hard enough to notice.
I did 250B mx(2-stroke dirtbikes) years back, and switching sprockets and adjusting suspension has a learning curve of it's own.
A real trial and error process, especially if no one is there to coach you.
I think the OP needs a good trail suspension set up, and then lots of seat time.
Most guys new to mx don't like the big jumps anyway, and whoops take alot of practice and suspesion adjustments too.
Trail suspension would be fine for beginner skill level.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's very true, but for a beginner, I don't think he could ride hard enough to notice.
I did 250B mx(2-stroke dirtbikes) years back, and switching sprockets and adjusting suspension has a learning curve of it's own.
A real trial and error process, especially if no one is there to coach you.
I think the OP needs a good trail suspension set up, and then lots of seat time.
Most guys new to mx don't like the big jumps anyway, and whoops take alot of practice and suspesion adjustments too.
Trail suspension would be fine for beginner skill level.
True I am a beginner but I ain't scared of some good air. Also now that I'm not half asleep I can see the confusion. I want some input on the setups of suspension and handling. The sprockets and motor are gonna stay stock so I can hit the track and not worry then hit the drag strip just for fun no real racing

·
Registered
380 Posts
True I am a beginner but I ain't scared of some good air. Also now that I'm not half asleep I can see the confusion. I want some input on the setups of suspension and handling. The sprockets and motor are gonna stay stock so I can hit the track and not worry then hit the drag strip just for fun no real racing
If you don't have the suspension set up for Your body weight, including gear, then Be scared of big air...because the landing is not gonna be fun, lol.
Search here for Jocaga, and send that guy your suspension. He'll set it up for what exactly you need.
There is always fine tuning involved too. Read all you can, and ask as many questions as you need.
I am no guru, buy have been doing this a long time.
Whenever I set suspension sag for a sportbike(assuming they already weigh within the spring rate they have), I always get a kick out of the smile of disbelife they come back with.
The right setup IS night and day, and literally can be the difference in a smooth corner(or landing on dirtbike or 4wheeler)...or a spectacular crash.
Your attitude of suspension over extra power is spot on.
If you're suspension is dialed in, you'll get much better use of the power you already have, as well as more control for braking, not to mention the overall ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you don't have the suspension set up for Your body weight, including gear, then Be scared of big air...because the landing is not gonna be fun, lol.
Search here for Jocaga, and send that guy your suspension. He'll set it up for what exactly you need.
There is always fine tuning involved too. Read all you can, and ask as many questions as you need.
Whenever I set suspension sag for a sportbike(assuming they already weigh within the spring rate they have), I always get a kick out of the smile of disbelife they come back with.
The right setup IS night and day, and literally can be the difference in a smooth corner(or landing on dirtbike or 4wheeler)...or a spectacular crash.
If you're suspension is dialed in, you'll get much better use of the power you already have, as well as more control for braking, not to mention the overall ride.
I have a 2008 yfz450se set up for mx not my build but the guy I bought it from was close to my height and build and without the gear I have I know I'd be more scared than what I am hitting jumps

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,598 Posts
I have a 2008 yfz450se set up for mx not my build but the guy I bought it from was close to my height and build and without the gear I have I know I'd be more scared than what I am hitting jumps
Most jump failures are caused by not keeping the front end up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts