Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone removed that cover under the gas tank that just seems to catch dirt and water? Is there a rason to keep it in there? Opinions?

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know, all I know is that I have never seen it on another quad ever. My friend wants to rip his out, but I thought I'd check and see if there was a reason to have it there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I strongly advise not to remove that. I did, for one ride. It boils gas like crazy without that shield. If you look at the bottom of it, you can see the insulated shield.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I know the part your talking about, and all I can say is if it ain't broke don't fix it. Sure its there for a reason. Maybe it protects the gas tank.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Lots of heat under that tank, the exhaust comes out right there.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I wonder if it's there to keep gas from getting spilled onto the engine and exhaust if you accidently over fill the tank? I belive there is a hose attached to the bottom that exits out the side of the frame, near the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tiggyboot said:
I wonder if it's there to keep gas from getting spilled onto the engine and exhaust if you accidently over fill the tank? I belive there is a hose attached to the bottom that exits out the side of the frame, near the coolant bottle.
I would have to agree with this. It has to have something to do with it. Cuz its channel shaped with a ledge on both sides then funels down to a small exit at the back of it. Which is out of the way of the engine. I would probley say it helps those time when your filling the bike after you have been running it (hot engine and exhaust) and you over fill the tank, till it spills out over the top of the tank and down the sides, then runs under the tank and insted of dripping right there on top of the hot heads or headers and starting a fire, its rolls down that rubber cover to the back of the engine (toward the seat area) then drips.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Zebradog said:
I don't know, all I know is that I have never seen it on another quad ever. My friend wants to rip his out, but I thought I'd check and see if there was a reason to have it there.
What purpose would it serve to remove it? Does he think they put it there for no reason?

G

·
I know that it is like a heat shield for the tank, but it could also do as mentioned above and channel spilt gas off to the side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.