Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to putting an O2 bung in my exaust so I could mess around with the wideband. Yamaha nailed the AF ratio for sure on a stock bike. Ran a very consistent mid to high 13 under any load and throttle posistion, that being said I see no way that a fuel controller will help a stock bike as the AF is almost perfect. I just wanted to see for myself as I have seen many posts warning that the stock map is too lean from factory and that even removing the spark arrestor could result in engine damage. So naturally I ripped the spark arrestor and gave it another whirl. The biggest difference was at idle, I saw mid 14's to low 15's, under any sort of load and WOT it was high 13's with maybe a hint of a 14.0. So I would definatley feel comfortable with the stock map and spark arrestor removed. But when coupled with the air box lid off (stock filter) it was definatley on the hairy edge of being lean (low to high 14's). Just the airbox lid removed with the spark arrestor intact saw much the same AFR's as with the lid on.
Just thought I'd post my results, use at your own risk. ;) When I get my exhuast and intake I'll try the same sort of test with the stock map.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Good stuff Diddly,
It's amazing how the same exact system can be so different as far as A/F ratios on different machines. I have seen em rich from the factory and I have seen them so lean that with a filter and the baffle removed they were putting aluim flecks on the spark plug. The wide band sensor is a great idea and something I'm going to run full time on mine with my new build. Mine was one of the bikes that benifited greatly with a controller with just the baffle removed and a high flow filter and no lid, not so much a HP gain but in acceleration and ridablity, I noticed a huge increase. One think I have found, these 700R's like to run at 13.8 to 14.1 A/F ratio when internally stock and make their best power and TQ there.
I had about 200 hrs on mine running it at as close to a flat line as poss. between 13.8 & 14.1 thru out the curve andf it has worked very well for me and Mark at Kenz tells me everything in my engine looked great when they tore it down. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the wideband setup I'm using, we've used them on probably 20+ cars that we've built without a complaint. We've checked it against LM1 , dynojet, and mustangdyne widebands and it is deadly accurate, even has the ability to datalog.
http://www.wmsracing.com/o2/index.htm

·
Registered
287 Posts
how would you use one with duals? :3question:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
raptorDlux said:
how would you use one with duals? :3question:
The mixture is the same in both pipes because they are exhausting the same cylinder. Just pick one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheap compared to a motor, not to mention being able to dial in your bike with out a dyno. ;) I never really gave it much thought until I couldn't find a way to get my Raptor on our dyno, so this was the next best thing. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
pretty sweet. So I assume its permanent then, since you had to weld a bung into the exhaust. Out of curiousity, where did you put it?

Does something like this effect flow much?

On my street bike, I got a TBR exhaust and they built the exhaust so that you could get rid of the "restrictive" 02 sensors? Then I just got these little plug in deals from dyno jet to fool the computer into thinking everything was OK.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I didn't permanently mount mine, although you can. Once the O2 is removed I just put a plug in the bung, then remove the power and ground wires and it is gone. I welded the bung pretty much right under the throttle body so that the O2 is horizontal between the TB and starter. As for restriction, I'm sure it would restrict a bit but the tip of the O2 only protrudes about 1/2 - 3/4" and only about 1/2" diameter.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Diddly said:
No I didn't permanently mount mine, although you can. Once the O2 is removed I just put a plug in the bung, then remove the power and ground wires and it is gone. I welded the bung pretty much right under the throttle body so that the O2 is horizontal between the TB and starter. As for restriction, I'm sure it would restrict a bit but the tip of the O2 only protrudes about 1/2 - 3/4" and only about 1/2" diameter.
thats cool that you can unplug it so easy and then plug the hole up. What do you plug it with that makes it not leak, or melt.

Sorry, this is out of my element. I have never tunes FI before. I have always left it for someone else, or jetted my crap...haha

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bung is threaded, it just takes a metal plug.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Diddly said:
The bung is threaded, it just takes a metal plug.
cool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts