Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can see my mods at the bottom of this page...I have had my bike for about 6 to 7 months, and i absolutely love it, never had a problem with it. I took it out for a ride today, and it ran like crap!!! At idle it runs "OK" but not like it should- - - and then at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it just cuts in and out and is jerky -- runs like crap- -but then at 3/4 to full throttle it runs normal. So i brought it in to my shop and started looking everything over, i remembered that i had changed the oil about 3 weeks ago (i have ridden a lot since then) so i checked the oil and IT WAS FULL to the RIM. so maybe i put to much oil in when i changed the oil,(my faulT). so i drain the oil and filled it to the right amount, and rode for about an hour more, and it still does it- - the jerking and running the crap cutting in and out at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. i know i am an idiot for over filling the oil, but does anybody have any idea what might have happened? PLEASE HELP-any suggestions would be great!! Maybe it running like crap has nothing to do with the oil, bcs it isnt running good at all now that i have the oil right....PLEASE HELP
Plattner

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, before i went riding today i unplugged the speed sensor. So i thought that that might be the problem, so i plugged it back in and it still runs the crap....(and yes i am for sure i unplugged the right connection) PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
The TPS on these things go out fairly often and can cause what yours is doin. It may have also gotten some moisture in it too.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OK......I am not positive on this....just throwing idea's around. First is something went weird with the TPS.
Second...and more likely, something did get damaged from having that much oil in there. I say more likely cause the TPS should just flat out run like crap and be jerky everywhere....not just low end (especially if your saying idle is messed up). You said the oil was to the rim? at the case or tank? Either way thats bad. Too much oil can be even worst then running low to a certain extent. Almost like hydolocking. So much oil in there the air has no where to go. Maybe you hung a valve because of it...
third...you have an air leak somewhere and at those throttle settings its really messing it up. But at higher throttle settings it really doesnt matter that air is leaking.....I have ran into that on other machines.

BUT, I am not sure....just wanted to throw idea's out there. May end up having to take it to a shop, or do some more diagnostics to try to find out whats going on.

What does your plug look like? does the quad smoke? Any oil where there shouldnt be oil....like in the air box...or any part of the engine....especially the head gasket area?

Sorry I cant just say "this is your problem"....its hard to figure this stuff out over the net.
Good luck though!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off - -thank you so much boom for even taking the time to think about this for me..
The oil was full to the rim of the tank. i did not even think to look in the crank case. I have not looked at the plug yet, i will first thing in the morning and get back to you on it... I looked and did not see oil anywhere that it souldnt be, first thing i did was look in the air box and there was none- -which was a good thing. and the bike does not smoke at all, i looked for that when i was riding it, so i think that is a good sign also.
i will check the spark plug and let you know what it looks like... i would rather not take it into a local shop around my town, but i might have too. I think i might unplug the positive on the battery (to like reset everything) and then run it and see what happens... that would let me know whether its something electrical or in the machine,.... right?
Also i am pretty sure you already knew this but, it runs like crap in neutral when i just rev up the engine to 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, its not just when its in gear, its all the time.
- - Its just so wierd because even though the oil was way overfull, it still ran fine for a couple weeks, and it only started messing up the first time i road it after unplugging the speed sensor - - so i thought that was the initial problem, so i plugged it back in and it still is running like crap. thanks for the suggestions, and also anymore you can give me, or anyone can give me.....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Check your injector plug for your pc make sure its pluged in all the way. Couple of weeks ago had a little problem like that and after 2 day a new TPS and all it was that the injector plug was not in all the way so I pluged it in and tied a tie strap around it tight and problem fixed.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
plattner said:
First off - -thank you so much boom for even taking the time to think about this for me..
The oil was full to the rim of the tank. i did not even think to look in the crank case. I have not looked at the plug yet, i will first thing in the morning and get back to you on it... I looked and did not see oil anywhere that it souldnt be, first thing i did was look in the air box and there was none- -which was a good thing. and the bike does not smoke at all, i looked for that when i was riding it, so i think that is a good sign also.
i will check the spark plug and let you know what it looks like... i would rather not take it into a local shop around my town, but i might have too. I think i might unplug the positive on the battery (to like reset everything) and then run it and see what happens... that would let me know whether its something electrical or in the machine,.... right?
Also i am pretty sure you already knew this but, it runs like crap in neutral when i just rev up the engine to 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, its not just when its in gear, its all the time.
- - Its just so wierd because even though the oil was way overfull, it still ran fine for a couple weeks, and it only started messing up the first time i road it after unplugging the speed sensor - - so i thought that was the initial problem, so i plugged it back in and it still is running like crap. thanks for the suggestions, and also anymore you can give me, or anyone can give me.....
Hopefully its nothing series, and you will be able to just plug it back in....or reset it. I was just trying to throw a bunch of things out there. I would definately unplug the battery and also look at ALL the connections on or around the TPS and throttle body.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, thanks again for everything guys - - I took your alls advice and i unplugged and plugged back in every connector i could find, including the TPS. then i unhooked the battery and plugged it back in, then last i pulled the spark plug and IT WAS BLACK!!. so i cleaned it because i did not have any backups, and put it back in and she ran like a DREAM. I rode it for about two or three hours this afternoon and it ran perfect, i pulled it into the shop to wash it off, and as i was coming in it started screwing up again. so i pulled the spark plug again and it was BLACk again!!! So what does this mean (the spark plug being black)?? i have seen ppl talking about running lean or something, but i have no clue how to fix that if you all think thats what is wrong (so you might have to give me some advice on that)... I will buy a few extra spark plug this week, and i might even order the iridium spark plugs that have been talked about on here so much (the ones you like boom). So if i put new spark plug in will that fix it, or am i running lean or something...???Thanks for all the responses so far (you all HAVE BEEN A HUGE HELP) i would have not had a clue what to do without you all hahahahah. Thanks PLATTNER

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Black is an indication that you are running rich.  You need to adjust the map on your pcIII.  You could also try uploading your old one again and see if that helps.  Get some backup plugs as well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do i adjust my map? I just ordered three new iridium plugs... i ahve the Dynojet PCIII... could someone please give me some instructions on how to make my bike to not be running rich.... - -can i just swtich to a different map or something, or do i manually jst have to start changing numbers....thanks plattner

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
plattner said:
How do i adjust my map? I just ordered three new iridium plugs... i ahve the Dynojet PCIII... could someone please give me some instructions on how to make my bike to not be running rich.... - -can i just swtich to a different map or something, or do i manually jst have to start changing numbers....thanks plattner
Looks like you should have been running the 416-010 map. Did you say you got a new GYTR header? Starting to loose track of people with there mods and problems. If so you will go to the 416-011 map. The other thing is, is you have to be running these maps WITH OUT the lid.

What is your accel pump settings at....or do you even have that installed on the PCIII?

Your black plug indicates you are running real rich....which you shouldnt be if you are running the correct map with the lid off. I wouldnt switch to the iridiums untill you have figured this out....as those are expensive plugs to be fowling. They are not going to cure this problem.
...............haha....out of curiosity, does the black spark plug smell like gasoline or oil?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes i have the accel pump installed, my settings are at 80-20-20. Yes i have the lid removed. i am running the 416-10 map now and i am going to put the GYTR header on wed and i will then install the 416-11 map. i did not smell the spark plug when i pulled it both times..... i just assumed that it was gas....i mean i didnt even know it could have oil on it. i will check it on wed, that will be the next time i have an opportunity to look at it and ride it. thanks for the help... i will reply back on here after wed, and i play with it a little bit....
What do you have your accel pump settings at? now that i am thinking about it, i did just install the accel pump feature the time i went riding before this time when it started messing up, so maybe i have those settings wrong. I didnt know what to set it at, some guy on here told me to try 80-20-20, so i did. i thought it was running a lot better, but maybe it made it too rich.... what would you run the settings at??

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I run 80-20-20 or 80-20-15....I cant remember. Dont think there is much difference.....

With the "oil on the spark plug"......when its over filled like that, anything is possible...especially if something is wrong. I doubt it is oil.....I was just curious and kinda joking around. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hahah ok well i wasnt for sure if you were joking or being serious....My family Farms in central MO and i have worked on a lot of tractors and vehicles and i have never heard of oil on the spark plug, so i have to admit you did make me a little worried there for a bit.... haHAHAHHAHA but thanks for everything man - - On Wed i will be installing the header and i will have the new spark plugs, and i will update my PCIII map and check to make sure my accel pump is at 80-20-20 still.... i will do a little riding and see what happens.... if it starts messing up again i will be back on here asking for HELP again - -hahahahaha.
Thanks again everyone
Plattner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts