Raptor Forum banner

please help I've been beat up.

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hammer700r 
#1 ·
:confused: Hey guys I took the raptor to some serious woods today and got the imortal shit beat out of me. this thing was bucking and kicking so hard it was hard to keep it in the trail. could someone please give me a good starting point to adjust my se shocks for a good stable ride. Also it wanted to dive and dart like mofo. It really sucked something terrible. :3question:

#2 ·
sounds almost like your rebound is way too hard. there is a good article on adjusting the spring preload somewhere on here, try doing a search for preload adjustment to find it.
after thats set id look at the compression and rebound settings. not sure if you know where they are or not so ill tell ya anyway :lol:, the compression adjustment is the littke brass screw on the side of the rear shock resivoir, and the rebound is the one at the base of the shock. the manual tells you which way to turn to lessen or stiffen. i dont remember off the top of my head. hope that helps, im by no means a pro at suspension. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
hammer700r said:
:confused: Hey guys I took the raptor to some serious woods today and got the imortal shit beat out of me. this thing was bucking and kicking so hard it was hard to keep it in the trail. could someone please give me a good starting point to adjust my se shocks for a good stable ride. Also it wanted to dive and dart like mofo. It really sucked something terrible. :3question:
Are you still running the stock settings? if so and like me you ride trails with a fair bit of corregation it will be too hard. I softened the compression and lessened the rebound and it made a huge difference. I'll check my settings tonight and let you know. It may give you good starting point.

#4 ·
Id start by softening the compression damping and stiffen the rebound alittle. If your not bottoming out then take out some spring preload.

#5 ·
yes but which compression and how much? The slow or the fast?

#6 ·
I softened mine up for the trails and it was nice but as soon as I took it to a pit with whoops and a decent jump I was all out of whack. Bottomed out and the Rebound was too slow for the fast ridning I was doing on the whoops. Almost got bucked over the bars twice because the suspension kept getting overworked for the settings I had. Can't seem to find a happy medium. Probably going to have to get new suspension in the Fall.

#7 ·
thats what i've been experienceing. fast technical trail rideing is impossible. I''m going to try to work on it after work today. Theres a place close here that works on suspention I'll give them a call a see what they have to say. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
What is your riding weight (you with your gear on)? Have you set-up your ride height correctly yet? You need to do that before you even start messing around with suspension adjustments.

If your a lighter guy the springs may be a bit stiff.

If your problem is mostly square edged bumps then the high speed compression will need to be need to be backed off a bit.

If your problem is riding stiff on whoops and rollers then the low speed compression will need to be backed off a bit.

Be careful you don't back them out too much or the quad will get a wallowing mushy feel in turns.

The low speed adjustment controls the damping for regular speed shock shaft compression. The high speed is for those really high energy oh shit hits that make the shock shaft travel at an abnormally high speed. You should usually start out by adjusting the low speed compression. The low speed circuit does roughly 90% of the work. Think of the high speed circuit as the "reserve oh shit big hard hit circuit".

#9 ·
forcefed said:
hammer700r said:
Are you still running the stock settings? if so and like me you ride trails with a fair bit of corregation it will be too hard. I softened the compression and lessened the rebound and it made a huge difference. I'll check my settings tonight and let you know. It may give you good starting point.
I just checked my settings and all I've done is increase the front SLOW compression to 15 clicks up from 8 (providing a less bone shattering ride) and decrease the the rear rebound to 3 clicks down from 11 ( providing less kickback from the rear on the whoops. I'm around 190lbs.

#10 ·
thanks a bunch for all the replys. I'm going to try and work on it tomorrow after i get home from the dyno tune. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Will do. thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.