Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this up for a buddy that I ride with. He has an 04' KFX700. He is a member of a few forums for these and has read a ton on this over heating issue. It is a very common issue for this model and year so if you would please give me some ideas so I can pass them along.
The things that he has done already: changed thermostat,flushed radiator cleaned radiator ,checked impellor, had jetted, after market cooling fan.

Most of the forums say that it could be warped heads but there isn't any water in the oil.
I don't mind waiting for his temperature light to go off but we'd get a lot more riding time in if we didn't have to wait.

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan

·
Registered
4,986 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just copied and pasted that list that he gave me. But he does run Engine Ice in it. Those in-line cooler, will only slow down the time from how long it will take to get to the over heating issue and not solve it. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll pass it along.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
I am not aware of this being a common or design problem with the KFX700, or any of the other applications of this engine in utility quads. My father's 2004 Prairie 700 certainly didn't have any problems with this. Electronics yes, overheating no.

There are a couple of KFX700 owners here on the boards, hopefully one can chime in and help out.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Actually the intercoolers help the overall cooling of the engine itself. Usually runs about 10 degrees cooler and helps maintain a lower operating temperature. Worth a try for that price. I run them and they do exactly as they claim.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Have you taken the radiator off and sink it in a tub for a couple of days? sometimes there's dirt buildup between the smaller fins that you cannot really look at and submerging the radiator will get rid of this. This is supposed to happen with Can Am Outlanders and Renegades.

·
Registered
587 Posts
A bigger oil tank, and a aftermarket radiator might help also.

·
Registered
615 Posts
How long has the engine ice been in it? Is he sure all the ethylene glycol was removed when they swapped over to engine ice? Ethylene Glycol antifreeze and engine ice will not mix, if they do it will gel. I have seen this in the water passages on a head before, this may be his problem and the V twins are alot more difficult to get all the antifreeze out. If it does gel inside the engine it will cause it to overheat.

i have seen this happen on two different ATV's, both were V twins and both had a thin gel in the heads.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Is it moddified why I say that is it could be way rich or lean and over heat. Or if he is running high compression and not enough octane could cause overheating.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I'll pass this along. He called me today and said that he got a hold of a shop that builds race engines. Gunna drop the whole thing off and they are going to mod it out for him and make sure to take care of the over heating issue. If I get word of what might be causing it to over heat, I'll post it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.