Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Ive posted a few things and Ive gotten great support. I need it once again. I got my big bore kit in yesterday for my 07 Raptor 700 Gytr. Got everything put back together was so excited to crank it up. So I did and it fired right up on first try, idled for 5 sec then backfired and died. I tried to crank again pressed the start button sounded like the battery was low, couldnt hear the starter turn so I tried again and held it a little longer and it turned over after about 2 sec of holding the start button. It backfired quickly loud as hell and that was it. So I started reading forums and figured that my timing was off. FYI when my head was off i just took it to local cycle shop and they replaced valve seals thats it. Before I took apart it ran but the old piston/cylcer was bad so I decided to go big bore.. So back to the bike. I took the head cover/timing chain cover orr and crankcase caps and turned counterclockise till I seen the H mark and then a little past that i seen the I mark and stopped. Up on the cam, the mark was 180degrees from the stationary mark on the head?? Jump time? I dunno. So i took chain tensioner out reset the cam on the mark/along with the crankcase mark still set on the I. ((However the cam gear would turn freely about a quarter of a turn back and fort and act like it was hitting something to the left and the right? Normal I guess? But I aligned the mark and put chain back on etc. Put all back together. Tried again this time it ran for about 7 sec idling perfect, and then the loudest backfire in the world came out (remember its 230 in the morning in town so the police were probably called I am devastated. I hope this is an easy fix bc Im about a grand in just parts and ive only got to ride this thing for 20 min since I got it. Thanks guys in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I'm almost certain it's dealing with the timing now. My marks are lined up for sure. However I was told that maybe when the guy did my valve seals he may have put my cam in upside down. How would this effect my bike? Would it do what I described above? How can I tell if it's in upside down? Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can't put the cam in "upside down". When you first checked the timing marks and found the cam gear 180* from the stationary mark that was normal because the crankshaft was on the exh/intake overlap stroke rather than the compression stroke. The cam turns 1/2 the speed of the crank so that will always be the case.
I'd check hose connections at the throttle body and electrical connections first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to offend you what so ever, but how sure are you that you cant have the cam in upside down? Bc ive read other forums that say it could happen? I rechecked all my cables and connections. They are all in the correct place, hooked in good. It ran fine before I started my change out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
nope cant put it in upside down only bolts up to the gear one way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I pulled cam cover off, crank case covers, chain tensioner... Realigned the marks on the crank case, then aligned the camgear mark with the mark on the head casing.. Tightened the tensioner back got everything back together.. Tried to crank turned over once then my starter solenoid starts clicking and shit like crazy. Now it wont even turn over. I tested battery and I got 11.65v so Im guessing its good. So is my solenoid fried now from me trying to crank this thing up? Even if it is, this doesnt explain why when it fired up last night after I put everything together, that it ran for 3-4seconds and then backfired like a cannon, and then wouldnt crank all the way back up, would just backfire when I tried to crank it. I am a lost for words I got over a grand in parts sitting out here.. Is there anything Im missing or can try guys.. I really need some help. Thanks in advance.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
List all the parts you replaced as well as unpluged like efi. Check valves and re adjust,, You can replug some plugs in wong like your tps, map and so on... Just konw you will get all this worked out in time... And it will run great soon.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would check the valve lash too like Dale suggested. Did you adjust the valves after you torqued the head down?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dales, geoman. I think you two hit the nail on the head. I had a guy work on my head for me bc I am by no means a mechanic. I’m a software engineer I can follow some logic. So I had the local cycle shop clean and replace the valve seals for me. I guess it was basic knowledge I should adjust the rocker arms and valve clearance so he did not tell me. SO I called today and talked to him and he said ugh yeah you have to set the clearance once you get the timing chain set and tight. So now I did not do that. I am working on that now. He said he got one full nut on each bolt I took off the covers and they are still intact but the rocker arms are spaced about 1/8 of an inch from the valves. So, im going to the parts house to get some instrument to measure the gap. I’m looking at the manual and I see some numbers here but now sure what they mean. Intake .010 ~ .037mm(.0004~.0015 <Limit> .08mm(.0031in) I guess the gauge I get will have these numbers on there? and then The exhaust has its numbers. Next question is how do I do this. I read something about having the piston at TDC when doing this and checking that valves are closed? Can someone give a brief idea of how this is done? Are the top valves the intake valves? And the valves closest to the front of the bike the exhaust? Thanks guys for your help so far..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also I was just messing with it before I left. I have the marks lined up on the crank and the head, is the rocker arm suppose to be loose to the hand like be able to move it up and down on top of the valve at this point? Is this were I do the measurement on the clearance? Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome... I did that and it cranked up perfect. However the engine seems hot, I dont have everything back on it Im just going a bit at a time. I checked the oil and had to add 3/4 of a quart after it ran for a few min to the resivor I guess it had to recycle the oil through the system. ( I had drained it before hand.) Is there anyway I can make sure the water pump is working and fluid is circulating through the system? Thanks guys yall have been a great help.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Love it when we all can come together and troubleshoot, and solve technical issues. This site is loaded with knowledge! Good luck with the rest!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts