Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new one way after experiencing obvious problems... Followed directions to a “t”, now the engine turns, starter works, brand new battery, the 660 just wont start... I have checked the obvious, brand new battery, brand new spark plug... could it be fuel? I let the quad sit for about 3 months between my last ride, now I want to go over Labor Day, so I got the one way replaced, just cannot get her to run... Advise? Things I may have overlooked?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Has the engine ran after you put the one way in?

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Try using starting fluid - if it tries to start, then your carbs need to be cleaned thoroughly.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Try using starting fluid - if it tries to start, then your carbs need to be cleaned thoroughly.
+1, listen to QM, he is a genius...did you leave the petcock valve on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
petcock valve? lol sorry guys... also... where do I use the starting fluid? how can I access the carbs? seem buried under the tank... is there an easier way than knucklebusting under all that?

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Petcock: Fuel valve between the tank and carb. Turn it OFF and idle the engine till it dies when you're going to leave the quad sitting for more than a few days - this drains the carb's float bowls and eliminates fuel evaporation from leaving crap in the carbs, plugging them up.

Remove seat, pull airbox lid off (you DO know where this is, don't you?), spray starting fluid onto the air cleaner, try to start bike.

Have you checked for spark yet? If there's no spark, unplug the regulator and see if it comes back. Of course, if there's no spark, don't bother trying starting fluid.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Read addition to my last post regarding draining the carbs for future... remove and thoroughly clean carbs for now (assuming you have spark).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is spark, I will try the starting fluid trick, and also attempt to clean the carbs, it’s just getting to them that looks like it’s going to be an issue... any good tricks? or just pull the tank? or is there enough room if I pull the airbox lid off?

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Pull front plastics and tank - 10 minute job with #10 and #8 socket on a ratchet and a pair of allen key bolts.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
the hardest part of cleaning the carbs is putting them back on the rubber boots... and make sure all the clamps are nice and tight when you put everthing back together..

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, So I have some good news, and some bad... My carbs are immaculate. Good. (cleaned anyway with compressed air and rubbing alcohol) bad news, i overlooked a bad choke cable. The plastic connection between the cable and carb was literally hanging out of the carb obviously not engaging the choke when i tried... ordered a new one, should be here wednesday... and hopefully be riding wheelies by thursday! Could that be the reason?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
By immaculate, did you remove each jet and clean it? Run some speaker wire through the jet passages (thank you QM) to make sure they are clear. They make seem to be clear otherwise, but this way is a way to ensure this. And yes, your choke cable could have been part of the issue as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I didn’t bother with all that, mostly because I could not figure out how to remove the throttle cable from the housing but removed both bowls and they looked brand new... blew air through with compressor and also my mouth, as gross as it was. One carb was way easier to blow through than the other, but I believe by design... Once I saw that the choke cable was shot and hanging from the carb I figured that was it, but since I was that far decided to look at the bowls in case. Crossing my fingers, that is the problem. If not, I’m F’ed

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You just need to take the covers off your bowls again in order to remove the jets, they come out with a flathead screwdriver. Better you do it now rather than have to take them off again after you put everything back together. Just do one at a time. You don't need to completely remove the carb from the throttle cable in order to clean your jets.

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
If you don't remove each jet and clean them separately (using copper wire strands + spray cleaner on tiny central passage of the pilot jets), you will be doing it all again soon - believe me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts