Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,i hope you are all well.I wonder if i could get some help please.
My 700 SE is 6 months old.I ride between 15 and 30 hours a week.
It has been serviced twice and i have removed the spark arrestor 2 months ago.
Yesterday i started her up and after about half an hour she started to cut out on idle.
It got steadily worse,and wouldnt stay idle in low revs at all.When i accelerate and keep the revs up,she was fine,but as soon as i tap off,she backfires and cuts out.
Now this morning she wont even start and when the engine did turn over,black smoke came out.
I have taken the plug out and it was black and smelled of fuel.
What could be the problem????

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think that your bike may be running lean you may want to go ahead and get a efi controller ecspecially if your planning on putting a pipe filter ect. on later on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that.Any particular one?
Would i have damaged my machine with it running too lean?
It only started doing this yesterday.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No, i doubt you could have fried a piston or anything like that since its only been one day but check into a power comander or a dobeck. By the way is it cold where you are riding i think you may have fouled a spark plug if its black on the end.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not that cold.Yesterday was 96.8.
If the plug is fouled,would it then cause the bike to smoke and not start?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yeah, i fouled my plug twice once when i got my rappy and the when i took the silencer out of my pipe when i took my silencer out it did the same thing your describing smoking and evrything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool.Thank you very much for the advice and help it is greatly appreciated.Now i can sleep a little better knowing that my Baby is not brocken. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No,water lately,but the last ride i was on before the problem i hit a rock and bent my front rim and tyre rod end.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A lean condition will not foul a plug. Either you are messing with the throttle during auto enrichment(choke cycle when first started), bad TPS, or a bad plug.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well i had the same problem which was a bad tps sensor. It happend when riding in water . Thats why i asked about riding in water. Costs about $120 to replace.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello.So i disconnected the battery over night,put in a new plug and air filter.It starts up but doesn't idle and if i accelerate thick black smoke pours out.It will go to Mr Mechanic tomorrow,but in the mean time are there any other suggestions?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well if it won't idle, but you were revving it, then you had to be doing it during the auto-enrichment, correct? If that is the case, it will definitely blow some black smoke. H

On the idle issue though, I too am guessing either a TPS, OR a bad injector (Which have seemed somewhat common on these)... when one sticks, it will just flood the hell out of it at an idle and kill the engine.. but when you crack the throttle, it gives just enough air to keep the thing running, all the while blowing black nasty smoke out.

Let us know! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i took it to Mr Mechanic and he confirmed that it is the TPS. Mmm 5 month old 07 Rartor 700 SE.
At least it is still under warranty.
Now its just waiting for my baby to come home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts