Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at St. Antony's in Idaho this summer witch is 1000 ft higher than my home elevation. The map I have now runs great at home but in Idaho there was alot of popping coming off of wot. Does that mean I was running lean? If so where should I adjust my map? Should I richen or lean out the map in the mid and top? I have a trip planed to Glamis in the spring and I want to know just a lil more about the process. Like where and how much to add or take away. Those elevation changes suck. Thanks for the advice in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
But if I'm at a higher elevation wouldn't I be running rich?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Higher elevation means the air is less dense, and therefore the mixture goes rich because there is less air available per revolution for the combustion process.

Now the factory system is designed to compensate for changes in altitude using the barometric pressure. How well this does or doesn't work has been debated but a fuel map that is a tiny bit too rich or lean in spots and may run fine at one elevation could see that slightly high or low ratio exaggerated in other conditions.

Yes often a pop on decel is a characteristic of a lean condition as it causes increased EGTs which will facilitate the burning of excess fuel in the exhaust. But if there is any kind of intake or exhaust leak that allows more oxygen to interact with the exhaust gases then it can cause it to ignite the unburnt fuel in the exhaust gases and will only be exacerbated by a rich condition which increases the amount of unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

I assume you've ridden it since and everything is fine back at your typical elevation. So without a reading on your EGT, AFR, or a smoking gun like an exhaust or intake leak I would have to make the assumption that the system failed to adequately compensate for your altitude change (as opposed to over-compensated) and you ended up too rich.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's running rich and to lean it out I should hold the desired button to lean it and click it to richen it? My T fitting for the Vac hoses on my FCI intake did come off, but when I reconnected it and sealed it the bike did run a lil better. Thanks for the insight, but all those big words and the acranims are hard to understand. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
EGT=Exhaust Gas Temperature
AFR=Air/Fuel Ratio

The vaccuum hose issue could have been a significant factor in the problems your saw. I've not played with the PCIII, so I'd have to refer you another member, the manual, or the factory website for instructions on adjustment with the buttons.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for clarifying that. I did read one thread that tells you how to get it into program mode, but it doesn't explain how to lean it out. But thanks again.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you want to get it dialed in right for when your there give these guys a call, there are less than 1/2 mile from the camps.
http://www.hansenperformance.com
We went over to there shop did a little dyno testing (fun) and they helped out some of our group with some parts as well. Go guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts