Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my raptor out of shop for L and Aone way install and mechanic rejetted bike and fixed broken air fuel screw. It has Kand N airfilter and aftermarket CDI box. He also too the boot off airbox to carb and ran the carbs to airbox directly from bottom. Question is bike ran beautifuly all day today it was muddy as hell and took it to carwash to hose it all off. Bike will start fine and as soon as you give it throttle it wants to bogg and backfire real loud i just pulleiler and drove it into garage. I was gonna let it sit and dry out for a couple of days to see if i just got water in somewhere it doesnt belong. But what could be some problems other than water.

·
Super Moderator
17,060 Posts
Parking brake or reverse rev limiter, look at the stickys.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Like said earlier, most likely your PB rev limiter is engaged, this can happen when the green and yellow wire is grounded by water or mud.............
Most likely at the connector behind the left head light area...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,411 Posts
Read "Most Common Raptor 660 Problems Explained" at the top of the General 660 Discussion area - look at the 'my bikes spitting and sputtering' section about reverse and parking brake limiters. This will take care of your problem, most likely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As I was searching for the resolution to a backfire on decel, I found your thread. All the guys who posted are raptor gurus. With that said, I have a good idea that this could be something that wasn't mentioned. Since they have always taken the time to help me, I'll try to do the same.

My bike does that, to the point of not running. Pops sputters, dies, cuts out.. all after getting wet. The problem is water in the spark plug "hole". Although I put the seal in tight, it always gets water in there. I dont see how its not a more common problem, as its almost guaranteed to happen on my bike. I just dont get that area wet anymore..

Although in the snow it got some in there and did this. The easiest way to get it out on the trail is with your shirt. Fold it/ twist it and shove it next to the spark plug. Leave it in there and let it soak up the water. Get a dry spot and try again until its dry..

Hope this helps.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
As I was searching for the resolution to a backfire on decel, I found your thread. All the guys who posted are raptor gurus. With that said, I have a good idea that this could be something that wasn't mentioned. Since they have always taken the time to help me, I'll try to do the same.

My bike does that, to the point of not running. Pops sputters, dies, cuts out.. all after getting wet. The problem is water in the spark plug "hole". Although I put the seal in tight, it always gets water in there. I dont see how its not a more common problem, as its almost guaranteed to happen on my bike. I just dont get that area wet anymore..

Although in the snow it got some in there and did this. The easiest way to get it out on the trail is with your shirt. Fold it/ twist it and shove it next to the spark plug. Leave it in there and let it soak up the water. Get a dry spot and try again until its dry..

Hope this helps.

On the right hand side of the head there is a small hole, this is a drain to the sparkplug cavity, clean this hole out and you shouldnt have any more problems..........

Here is a picture of the RH side of the head look at the extra sparkplug area, you will see what I am referring too........

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hopefully Banshee2Raptor wont mind I used his picture..............:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
On the right hand side of the head there is a small hole, this is a drain to the sparkplug cavity, clean this hole out and you shouldnt have any more problems..........

Here is a picture of the RH side of the head look at the extra sparkplug area, you will see what I am referring too........
Damn. I never would have known. Going to look for it now!

This is exactly what I was talking about (read raptor guru's above).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sure enough. I hit it with the air gun and it went pop, then hiss. Sure enough, it was plugged!

Thanks again Willy. Hope this is the OP's problem as well. easy fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts