Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so got my 03 raptor 660 started today and it will pop out of first.
i noticed that if i dropp the gears all the way to the bottom it will go into reverse,without using the reverse swith that is not hooked up..
when i bought it the guy says it popped out of reverse.
can somebody also explain the proper way to use the reverse swith.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Proper use of reverse switch:

Assuming bike is running and in neutral;
pull in clutch
Turn reverse knob, keep it turned as you complete the next 2 steps
Downshift into 1st gear
Downshift into reverse
Now observe reverse light unless rev limiter has been disabled.
If reverse light is on, release knob.
Slowly let out clutch and modulate throttle to move atv backwards.

It's also possible to downshift into first and then turn the knob, but regardless the knob must be turned before you can shift into reverse.

The reverse and clutch cables along with the shifter linkage can be adjusted, a tweak of one or more of these may solve your problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Make sure to check the operation of your reverse switch. The cable runs from your fender, around the front of the bike, then to a lever at the bottom of the engine on the left side. Make sure the lever is going all the way back when the switch is not active. You can even unhook the cable, make sure the lever is all the way back, then see if your bike still shift down into reverse. If it does, then it looks like tranny trouble.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'm having the same problem. so you want to check to see if the cable is releasing all the way (which may be why it's going into reverse without touching anything.) if you ignore this problem or ride on it for awhile, will it/could it cause a problem??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Problem? Only if you are down shifting and hit reverse while going forward. Not sure if the tranny will enguage reverse, but if it does it could be hard on it. Mostly it just makes it a pain to find first gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts