Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,,just wondering what all needed for an mod that is getting a port and plished head...what info do i need..etc willykiller this is your area of expertise...please help me ou guys im not 100% sure of what im getting into and all what i need :eek:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
hey all,,just wondering what all needed for an mod that is getting a port and plished head...what info do i need..etc willykiller this is your area of expertise...please help me ou guys im not 100% sure of what im getting into and all what i need :eek:
I'm not saying I am an expert, but it takes me about 4 to 5 hours to trail port one of my heads.............:)
For a do it yourselfer such as myself, I need a couple different die grinders, burrs, and lots of sand paper.........
Oh and a good compressor unless you use a electric die grinder. I have three compressors in my shop, the one that runs most of the time during the day is a 5 hp three cylinder single stage compressor, its backup is a 10 hp two cylinder two stage compressor................

·
Registered
288 Posts
Port & Polish kit, die grinder or dremel, air compressor if using die grinder, a lot of research, and patience.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats the cost on it roughly if i have it sent out do i need to send new valves and everything to the shop im sending it too?? and do you think the local dealer could do it??

·
Registered
288 Posts
whats the cost on it roughly if i have it sent out do i need to send new valves and everything to the shop im sending it too?? and do you think the local dealer could do it??
They could do a valve job on the valves, no need for new ones. It'll probably cost you around $300-400. I would have them put in new valve seals and possibly springs if you're doing other upgrades.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
whats the cost on it roughly if i have it sent out do i need to send new valves and everything to the shop i'm sending it too?? and do you think the local dealer could do it??
I wouldn't send anything to a dealer for that kind of work, in fact a few years ago the Yamaha dealer had me do some exhaust port work and crank rebuilding on some of their problematic engines in their sleds..........

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Seems to me you are kinda looking at things all wrong reina, lol. Take a look at your location, and take a look at Willy's. Not that I'm trying to volunteer Willy or anything, but it could be possible that you and he could come to a business agreement of sorts. I would greatly trust his work over any that a dealer could do. Again though, that would be something you would have to discuss with him though, he may not be in a position to do the work at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
wainfleet is near st.catherines I believe....thats about a 7 hour drive.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems to me you are kinda looking at things all wrong reina, lol. Take a look at your location, and take a look at Willy's. Not that I'm trying to volunteer Willy or anything, but it could be possible that you and he could come to a business agreement of sorts. I would greatly trust his work over any that a dealer could do. Again though, that would be something you would have to discuss with him though, he may not be in a position to do the work at the time.

ya willy would be great for the job but i would love to try and find somewhere alittle closer to my location...and anyways the thing i wana do is a hotrods stroker crank and piston, with new kibblewhite valves, springs, and guides... stage 2 cam dynojet kit with new barnett clutch...i already have yosh rs3 full system exhuast..and k&n intake... i just wanted to see what it would be like to port and polish with this setup or should i change some stuff

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I meant by sending your stuff to him, but that's cool too man. I hope you find someone. Sounds like a pretty good build.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I meant by sending your stuff to him, but that's cool too man. I hope you find someone. Sounds like a pretty good build.
ya i just started looking into it tonight to see whats possible...ya its my first quad and im doing it up to the nines...i love this stuff..so i just wana keep working on it

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
you should bore it to a 686 if you already have the head off.... maybe get the rod changed to.....also I would use ferrera valves instead of kibblewhite...they are better quality

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
If you are that close to willy I'd be heading over there and having him do the porting instead of trying to do it yourself. It may be more expensive but its quality work. With porting you can over port and actually loose performance if you don't know what you are doing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you are that close to willy I'd be heading over there and having him do the porting instead of trying to do it yourself. It may be more expensive but its quality work. With porting you can over port and actually loose performance if you don't know what you are doing.

ya i know i would never attempted to try and do it by my self no way... but will it make much of a difference with the setup i was looking to do...its above in previous messages for those just reading this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts