Raptor Forum banner

Port and Polish question

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DavisTremblay 
#1 ·
I know how important it is to get someone who can do a good job but would it hurt for me to clean it up a little ? I noticed how rough a stock head is the other day and I guess I am wondering if I were to keep the surface removal as small as possible would it be safe to attempt ? I really like doing stuff like this but don't want to end up buying a new head because I just wanted to smooth it out for better flow.

#6 ·
I just read a big 15 page write up that was really nice. I had no idea you needed texture in the intake side for mixing air and fuel together. Willy are you saying leave the bottom alone because that's where the majority of the turbulence is made ? I might just leave it alone outside of the ridges and factory flaws at the opening of the ports. When I actually learned how it was done correctly I also learned how hard it would be. I bought a really nice little 2 gallon air compressor yesterday for cheap cheap . I thought well hey now that I have an air compressor I can get some air tools. I went out and got a die grinder and socket with all the hoses, kits, etc etc. Well it wasn't until I actually went to use it that I realized the die grinder lasts maybe 5 seconds at best......lol How big of a compressor would I need to run one fellas ? My garage is only 120 but I am an electrician so if needed I could bring out 240.

#8 ·
Your compressor and tank may be good for a very small job but using air tools to their capacity takes a well designed system.
My shop has three compressors. One that is small twin cylinder with a one horse motor and keeps air up to 80 psi and is 24-7 operational. The second is programed to run during business hours and is a 7 hp motor 3 cylinder compressor and build air pressure to 160 psi. The third is a 10 hp motor with a two stage compressor and can build pressure up to 200 psi. We turn it on if we need more volumn and pressure.
The main storage tank is 60 gallons and the secondary tank is 30 gallons and is located at the opposite extremity of the shop compared to the compressor room. Plus there is over 350 fifty feet of 3/4 steel lines in a figure eight through the shop. This system also has a dryer after the compressors.
Now when I'm using air grinders for porting the 7 hp compressor runs a lot. That's about all I can tell you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.