Raptor Forum banner

positive battery wire smoking wen trying to start

20K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
#1 ·
just had a solenoid go out so i bought a new one and intalled it and went to start it and i noticed the pos wire smoking instantly after hiting the start button. the bike does have a 11:1 wisco so the starter idoes have alittle trouble geting past the compression stroke but the battry is good im thinking a starter geting week or a short. any idieas the bike will run fine just wen starting the wire smokes

#2 ·
What brand was the starter relay you used? Is the positive wire in good shape as in no corrosion, good clean contacts? Is the battery hooked up correctly?

#3 ·
Also check grounding wires on the engine. The loop to the starter and back to the battery has to be closed otherwise it wont turn or as in your case the wires will start to burn.

#6 ·
Not enough battery power can do things like this. What size battery are you using? Even a new battery can be faulty, charge it full and try again. The 11:1 piston shouldnt keep it from turning over well. If it turns over slow, check decompression mechanism AFTER you make sure battery is fully charged

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Jump the Raptor battery from your wife's car battery. See if it starts normal, if so, your battery is bad.

#30 ·
It's the battery I jumped if off my car and it started fine I'll be buying a new one soon thanks for all the help
That's good, I love it when a plan comes together. Be sure to trickle/float charge your new battery for a few days.

#21 ·
Wich positive wire started smoking? The one from the battery to the Relay, or from the Relay to the starter? Are both the proper size?

#24 ·
Low voltage will cause high amperage, and high amps cause heat. But, inspect the cable where it crimps in the ends for white corrosion. Replace if necessary.

#31 ·
Bad battery is probably what burned up the starter Relay too. For the same reasons why your battery cable was smoking. It can also cause the contacts to stick with causes the starter to keep cranking even with the key off.

#34 ·
You're in the 660 section - Your wiring is very different.

You'll get a lot more action if you start your own thread in the 350 page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.