Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had a solenoid go out so i bought a new one and intalled it and went to start it and i noticed the pos wire smoking instantly after hiting the start button. the bike does have a 11:1 wisco so the starter idoes have alittle trouble geting past the compression stroke but the battry is good im thinking a starter geting week or a short. any idieas the bike will run fine just wen starting the wire smokes

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
What brand was the starter relay you used? Is the positive wire in good shape as in no corrosion, good clean contacts? Is the battery hooked up correctly?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Also check grounding wires on the engine. The loop to the starter and back to the battery has to be closed otherwise it wont turn or as in your case the wires will start to burn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What brand was the starter relay you used? Is the positive wire in good shape as in no corrosion, good clean contacts? Is the battery hooked up correctly?
yes the batt is hucked up correct and all the connections are clean and tight and i bought a universal soleniod from my local parts store that was listed under my raptor

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
just had a solenoid go out so i bought a new one and intalled it and went to start it and i noticed the pos wire smoking instantly after hiting the start button. the bike does have a 11:1 wisco so the starter idoes have alittle trouble geting past the compression stroke but the battry is good im thinking a starter geting week or a short. any idieas the bike will run fine just wen starting the wire smokes
Not enough battery power can do things like this. What size battery are you using? Even a new battery can be faulty, charge it full and try again. The 11:1 piston shouldnt keep it from turning over well. If it turns over slow, check decompression mechanism AFTER you make sure battery is fully charged

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not enough battery power can do things like this. What size battery are you using? Even a new battery can be faulty, charge it full and try again. The 11:1 piston shouldnt keep it from turning over well. If it turns over slow, check decompression mechanism AFTER you make sure battery is fully charged

thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

what should i look for when checking decompression mechanism im not really shure how it works

·
Registered
828 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
i bought a universal soleniod from my local parts store that was listed under my raptor
How does it hook up? Does the factory wiring plug in to it? Did you have to wire on a plug to the relay that plugs in to the factory wiring harness?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

ok so i checked the voltage on my battry cold and it was 12.75. so then i checked the voltage while trying to start it and the volts dropped to 6 and the bike took a sec to actually start turning over/geting past compresion. but once it did the voltage came up to 9.6 while turning over. does this sound like battry geting weak or the decomp mechanism?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
ok so i checked the voltage on my battry cold and it was 12.75. so then i checked the voltage while trying to start it and the volts dropped to 6 and the bike took a sec to actually start turning over/geting past compresion. but once it did the voltage came up to 9.6 while turning over. does this sound like battry geting weak or the decomp mechanism?
I have been fooled by a battery many times. I suspect its the problem but im terrible with electrical issues so id let someone else chime in before i shelled out the cash for a new one. Fyi, blacksupra and quadmaniac are some kind of electrical engineers and 03limitededition could fix a 660 with his eyes closed. Youd be better off listening to them, than my guesses

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been fooled by a battery many times. I suspect its the problem but im terrible with electrical issues so id let someone else chime in before i shelled out the cash for a new one. Fyi, blacksupra and quadmaniac are some kind of electrical engineers and 03limitededition could fix a 660 with his eyes closed. Youd be better off listening to them, than my guesses

Ok i read online that if a batt drops under 9.5 under a load that their is a problem and it did but just until it got past the first compression stroke but after that it held 9.6 turning over. but thanks ill see what they say before buying a new one

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

could you tell me how to check my decomp and make shure its working correctly

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
could you tell me how to check my decomp and make shure its working correctly
Youd have to pull the valve cover/rocker assembly. Lets wait on that until we get this voltage thing figured out

·
Registered
828 Posts

Sent from my SM- using Tapatalk
So battery works like this. Lets say the label on battery says 12V that means the operatng battery voltage is 12V+. When you charge the battery you want to charge it as fast as possible. That means high current and voltage at about 13V-14V. When you disonect the battery and measure the voltage you will get a high measurment that is just imaginary. It colapses under load. Thats why it looks good but has a hard time starting and if not charged it will fail. If you want to measure the true battery voltage you have to put some load on it. I'd recomend to turn on the ignition (lights on) and then measure the voltage or put a 12V bulb on it. If the battery is weak the voltage will drop below 12V. Batery like this needs recharging. If you try recharging and the battery doesn't recover it is beyond point of repair you will have to replace it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So battery works like this. Lets say the label on battery says 12V that means the operatng battery voltage is 12V+. When you charge the battery you want to charge it as fast as possible. That means high current and voltage at about 13V-14V. When you disonect the battery and measure the voltage you will get a high measurment that is just imaginary. It colapses under load. Thats why it looks good but has a hard time starting and if not charged it will fail. If you want to measure the true battery voltage you have to put some load on it. I'd recomend to turn on the ignition (lights on) and then measure the voltage or put a 12V bulb on it. If the battery is weak the voltage will drop below 12V. Batery like this needs recharging. If you try recharging and the battery doesn't recover it is beyond point of repair you will have to replace it.
my batt hold 12.5 with ignition on and light but as soon as i hit the start button it hesitates and drops to 6-7 volts at the compression stroke then starts turning over and comes up to 9.6-9.8 the bikes charging system is good charges at 14.3 volts does this sound like a batt going bad?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,564 Posts
Jump the Raptor battery from your wife's car battery. See if it starts normal, if so, your battery is bad.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jump the Raptor battery from your wife's car battery. See if it starts normal, if so, your battery is bad.
ok ill give it a try tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts