Raptor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Wich positive wire started smoking? The one from the battery to the Relay, or from the Relay to the starter? Are both the proper size?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,584 Posts
Low voltage will cause high amperage, and high amps cause heat. But, inspect the cable where it crimps in the ends for white corrosion. Replace if necessary.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Low voltage will cause high amperage, and high amps cause heat. But, inspect the cable where it crimps in the ends for white corrosion. Replace if necessary.
ok i check it out in the morning but im pretty shure that they were clean.
what are some good battery's that have a bit more cc amps then stock ? just curious in case i need to buy one

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
ok i check it out in the morning but im pretty shure that they were clean.
what are some good battery's that have a bit more cc amps then stock ? just curious in case i need to buy one
Probably way more than you wanted to know but here goes.

Yuasa battery is all I will run. They seem to last the longest. There is a reason why all the major manufactures of ATVs and MCs use a Yuasa battery.
YTX14-BS is the stock battery which has CCA of 200, and a Reserve rating of 12.

You can also shoe horn in a Grizzly battery in there. Its a tight fit and you will have to either make or modify your battery hold down because its also slightly taller. The battery will also go in backwards because the terminals are reversed. So you will have to mess with the battery cables a little bit. The terminals will be on the correct side but the terminals will be facing the relay / CDI instead of the air box.
YTX20L-BS is the standard Grizzly battery. CCA of 270, and a Reserve rating of 18.
YTX20HL-BS is the high out put Grizzly battery. CCA of 310 and a Reserve rating of 18.

Then if you look at the cross reference from the above batteries to the newer GYZ batteries.

Stock YTX14-BS cross references to GYZ16H is 240CCA and a reserve of 16

Grizzly YTX20L-BS crosses to a GYZ20L is 250CCA and a reserve of 20
Grizzly HO YTX20HL-BS crosses to a GYZ20HL is a 320CCA and a reserve of 20.

YTX20H battery should be the same as the HO Grizzly battery other than the location of the terminals. The terminals should be oriented like the raptor battery but it will be the size of the grizzly battery. The L signifies the polarity of the battery. BS means the battery comes dry with a bottle of acid. H refers to high output.

The YTX20H battery crosses to a GYZ20H which also has the same 320CCA and reserve of 20 as the GYZ20HL but has the terminals the same as the stock raptor battery.

With all this being said I run a GYZ16H because it fits like the stock raptor battery with out having to modify the battery tie down and you don't have to shoe horn it in there. It is an upgrade from the stock raptor battery but its not quite as powerful as the HO Grizzly battery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Probably way more than you wanted to know but here goes.

Yuasa battery is all I will run. They seem to last the longest. There is a reason why all the major manufactures of ATVs and MCs use a Yuasa battery.
YTX14-BS is the stock battery which has CCA of 200, and a Reserve rating of 12.

You can also shoe horn in a Grizzly battery in there. Its a tight fit and you will have to either make or modify your battery hold down because its also slightly taller. The battery will also go in backwards because the terminals are reversed. So you will have to mess with the battery cables a little bit. The terminals will be on the correct side but the terminals will be facing the relay / CDI instead of the air box.
YTX20L-BS is the standard Grizzly battery. CCA of 270, and a Reserve rating of 18.
YTX20HL-BS is the high out put Grizzly battery. CCA of 310 and a Reserve rating of 18.

Then if you look at the cross reference from the above batteries to the newer GYZ batteries.

Stock YTX14-BS cross references to GYZ16H is 240CCA and a reserve of 16

Grizzly YTX20L-BS crosses to a GYZ20L is 250CCA and a reserve of 20
Grizzly HO YTX20HL-BS crosses to a GYZ20HL is a 320CCA and a reserve of 20.

YTX20H battery should be the same as the HO Grizzly battery other than the location of the terminals. The terminals should be oriented like the raptor battery but it will be the size of the grizzly battery. The L signifies the polarity of the battery. BS means the battery comes dry with a bottle of acid. H refers to high output.

The YTX20H battery crosses to a GYZ20H which also has the same 320CCA and reserve of 20 as the GYZ20HL but has the terminals the same as the stock raptor battery.

With all this being said I run a GYZ16H because it fits like the stock raptor battery with out having to modify the battery tie down and you don't have to shoe horn it in there. It is an upgrade from the stock raptor battery but its not quite as powerful as the HO Grizzly battery.
Great information I'm definitely gonna go with the YTX20H great price. If I had the money id go with a yuasa. It would probably last longer

·
Registered
831 Posts
ok ill give it a try tomorrow.
When you attempt to start the engine the current rises to max (kind of short circuit) and the voltage drops to 0V. Perfectly normal. However it needs a lot of current and if the battery is bad it won't be able to output enough and the starter will struggle to turn the motor. Battery has a life span and if you take care of it it will last long. (never drain it completely, let it recharge, keep it charged, etc.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
When you attempt to start the engine the current rises to max (kind of short circuit) and the voltage drops to 0V. Perfectly normal. However it needs a lot of current and if the battery is bad it won't be able to output enough and the starter will struggle to turn the motor. Battery has a life span and if you take care of it it will last long. (never drain it completely, let it recharge, keep it charged, etc.)
It's the battery I jumped if off my car and it started fine I'll be buying a new one soon thanks for all the help

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,584 Posts
Jump the Raptor battery from your wife's car battery. See if it starts normal, if so, your battery is bad.
It's the battery I jumped if off my car and it started fine I'll be buying a new one soon thanks for all the help
That's good, I love it when a plan comes together. Be sure to trickle/float charge your new battery for a few days.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Bad battery is probably what burned up the starter Relay too. For the same reasons why your battery cable was smoking. It can also cause the contacts to stick with causes the starter to keep cranking even with the key off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wich positive wire started smoking? The one from the battery to the Relay, or from the Relay to the starter? Are both the proper size?
I need help!! I put new battery and relay and starter on my 06 raptor 350 once I hooked it up the battery began to smoke out the vent and hiss scary moment with my face all over it. It was not allowing the starter to turn over I check to make sure it wasn't a bad one spins when not in the bike but only get a clicking when on i rebuilt the bike myself eveything other than the wiring is new it did fire up when I checked an rode down tbe road on the way back i lost all power and the starter stayed spinning over when tried it again. Help new CD I box just can in and plugged up.

·
Master of the Electron
15,136 Posts
You're in the 660 section - Your wiring is very different.

You'll get a lot more action if you start your own thread in the 350 page.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts