Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a big bore/stroker kit for the 700. I already have DMC Force 4s and Dobeck, will be getting an FCI airbox soon. I saw somewhere a kit that was 800cc or around there, what else would I need to run a kit like this?? I don't race, just trails but like power and speed.8)

Are there any kits to avoid?? Possibly going with the PC5 and auto tune, in less there is a better option.

·
Registered
94 Posts
HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND???

804cc is a 8mm crank and a 105.5 bore.....778cc is a 5mm crank and a 105.5 bore! This will push the stock clutch so be ready to change that up. Going to be a lot to handle for a stock wheel base too....but will be fun fo sho! All the power in the world wont help if you cant use it!!!

IF you just ride trails go with a 105.5mm bore +2 ported head and web 4 or HDD5050. It will make just a little less hp it is simple and still wont break the bank.....just my opinion of course! A lot of guys run the 778 and will be able to chime in.

Oh and get rid of the Dobeck.....get a PC5 or PC3....go ahead and think about a new throttle body too at least a +3mm! A new ignition will help too! Call a builder on here and ask about the 734 or 778 and see what they can do for you!

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot that I wanted the stage 2 cam. FCI intake for sure. Guess I'll have to start reading up on what people has done. I didn't have enough time to read this morning before work, this forum is much nicer when it comes to that!!!! Other forums they bitch at you for not searching first....

I want to do something different. All of my friends have 450s, they all talk shit too!! But we really never lined them up to race, but we all can keep up with each other....

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Don't underestimate a good stock bore/stock stroke build. Bump the compression up, get the head ported, high lift cam, bore the TB, FCI, PC5, and that thing will come alive! I'd take a build like that over a big bore stroker, mild cam, and stock head build any day.

Do a LOT of reading and searching before ordering your parts. Buying parts over and over sucks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is nothing wrong with the motor now, runs great. But like alot of people, you start to out grow it, and want more!!!!

Just to KISS, I might go with a stage 2 and bump the compression some, meanwhile save up for the other stuff. Should do good on taxes, so maybe that will help fund a build...

·
Registered
94 Posts
A nice sb/ss build can put the power down......11:1 piston, a good cam and +1 head can put you close to 70hp :D I think that is plenty while in the trails. You should be able to smoke your buddies with that. Then IF thats not enough get the 105.5 bore because you already have the head to go on it.

WOBBLE is right....buying parts over and over sucks :mad::mad:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the motor now, runs great. But like alot of people, you start to out grow it, and want more!!!!

Just to KISS, I might go with a stage 2 and bump the compression some, meanwhile save up for the other stuff. Should do good on taxes, so maybe that will help fund a build...
I've already been through this. I started with a PC3, intake, and duals. Then I put an 11:1 piston, HC2, dynatek ignition, and bored TB. Great mild build and this would work for most riders. Really woke it up and was very rideable in both trails and sand. Also enough to put the smack down on most of my buddies. I wasn't really into racing, but it was fun to line up with buddies.

As I got used to that build and got addicted to these forums, I wanted more. So I had the head ported along with +1 valves and a 5050 cam. While it was an improvement over what I had, it wasn't quite the build I was after. I wanted more up top. Also wanted it to be smoother. (my hands are sensitive to vibration)

For my next build I then went 105 bore (now a 727), 12:1 piston, FCI, and Web 4 cam. I was actually very happy with that build. It came on strong and just kept revving. Had power from top to bottom. Engine was the smoothest build I ever had. Very little engine vibration. I could lug it when in tight situations, yet it would flat out move when I stabbed the throttle. Unfortunately the sleeve dropped and I blew a head gasket. When I tore it down, I noticed scarring on the rod where the wristpin slides in. It needed a new rod.

So, my next, and final build, I added a +5 HR crank (now a 770), 13:1 piston, and milled the cylinder. This build was insane fast (at least for me). It flat out moved. Almost too much. I could stand it up in 4th running a +4 swingarm with the stab of the throttle. It was now unrideable in the trails, so I was sand only. While this made sand riding a blast, I really missed trail riding.

I also did quite a bit of suspension upgrades along the way as well. You didn't mention what kind of suspension upgrades you've done, but I would highly recommend doing those before getting too crazy with the engine. All of the power in the world is useless if you can't control it.

Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you are just wanting to outrun your buddys 450's you can just do a simple and low cost big 3 upgrade on the raptor and it will outrun most if not all of the 450's. I have a 797 motor (+8 stroke and 105 bore) and I also have a 839 motor (+12 stroke and 105.5 bore) I personally like the 797 motor better. All of the 105.5 bore motors that I have built have ran a little on the warm side. The 797 motor made 128 horse power on nitrous and right around 90 without nitrous. I have not dynoed the 839 motor but it will not beat the 797 motor.
My son has a stock stroke/stock bore motor with the head ported, bored tb, dualls, with a small shot of nitrous and he really holds his own (on and off the spray) anywhere we ride.
What I am getting at is, you have to build a motor that suits your own personal style of riding. The combinations of stroke/bore, are endless, just build something that YOU will be happy with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have Force 4s and a TFI controller. Just putting those on made a big difference. As far as racing my buddy's with 450s, we raced 3 times when I was 100% stock. I had 22" Swamplites, (which are heavy) and won 1 race because I jumped the gun, and the other two they got my off the line but was keeping up with them the rest of the way. I couldn't hear my own bike over theirs, so didn't know when to shift, and when starting I couldn't keep the front end down. They beat my by the length of my wheely's.

I talked with TQS today after ordering the FCI stuff, and gonna go with the 778 kit. Probly at the same time get a stage 2 cam, maybe bigger valves, port/polish, and bigger TB. Also the PC5.

·
Registered
94 Posts
778 NICE :thumbsup:.........

Get something besides a stage two hot cam though maybe a Web 4 or HDD5050.....its not going to do that motor any justice if you dont. Get bigger valves fo sho a 778 is gonna want to breathe. Do you have access to race fuel and do you want to run it? That will help you out on your piston compression choice.

I like the Force 4's and its what I have but I am not going to start an argument on that one! But good choice.....

Raptor Trent I havent heard of the 105.5's running HOT :wow: do tell.....

·
Registered
951 Posts
The only 105.5's that I have ran are the stock cylinders that have been bored. I did not mention that. On the stockers that have been bored the cylinder walls get really thin and cause the motor to run a little on the hot side. It more than likely will not be an issue on the aftermarket cylinders. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still looking around for what cams and such, as I want a good all around one. I don't drag race, well maybe once in a while. I also don't want high RPM cam, it's just me but I don't like to rev the piss out of my stuff. Bigger valves is a for sure, just need to find someone local that knows what they are doing.

I have access to race gas but don't want to use it. Where we go riding, we can hit gas stations to fill up. I run 93 in it now, and would like to continue. I never ran out of gas, only once came close, but was only couple miles from home. I don't want to build the motor just for race gas, go riding and then run out. Much easier to build it for pump gas that is readily available.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where are you located at? John at Racers Edge, Daniel at HDD and BO :metal: would be a few I would go with for porting and bigger valves.

11:1 would be a good choice for pump gas maybe 12:1.....I believe that the stroker crank will add a little compression also. Talk to one of the builders they will help you out with a good combo.

IF you are gonna spend the money might as well do it right :grin_nod:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I only want to do this once, so yeah i want to get the right parts the first time. Changing the cam or anything up top won't be a big deal, so maybe just the lower end first. All depends how much money I have too, also how much to get it done.

I went for a quick ride today, and now have stock sized tires with the 15t sprocket, handles way different that the 22s all the way around. That will take some getting used to. There was a coupe times the front end didn't come down in 4th gear coming off a small bump.

Also need to rebuild my A-arms. I see TQS has a bearing rebuild kit for up and lower, would it be worth it or just keep the bushing?? Right front upper is getting some play in it...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts