Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying an 02 Raptor 660R. Have not went and looked at it in person yet, just wanted to know some info before I go and get some opinions if it may be a good deal. Says it needs a new starter cover an solenoid and it will not run with out them. They said the starter cover is cracked. What would cause this? They are asking $1,500 but will not go lower than $1,000. Has new tires & rims, clutch, and battery. Also, said the motor was recently rebuilt. Just want everyones opinion if this may be a good deal, everything looks ok, just won't be able to see if it runs till I replace those items. Ive rebuilt a couple 2 stroke motors, but haven't done much with 4 strokes. So, I don't mind if I gotta do a little work. So what do you all think its worth just by what I know about it?? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
sounds like a good deal , usually its more , i like it for parts , if you dont get it let me know , i have 2 660 and can use parts , in So Cal

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Personally if I couldn't even turn the motor over I'd be a little uneasy about giving up my money. I could be wrong but can't you push start it if the starter is bad? If so I'd try a test ride like that if not just assume it don't run and then think of how much is it worth if it don't run that's what I'd do. Hopefully it all works out good for you. Keep us posted.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am looking at buying an 02 Raptor 660R. Have not went and looked at it in person yet, just wanted to know some info before I go and get some opinions if it may be a good deal. Says it needs a new starter cover an solenoid and it will not run with out them. They said the starter cover is cracked. What would cause this? They are asking $1,500 but will not go lower than $1,000. Has new tires & rims, clutch, and battery. Also, said the motor was recently rebuilt. Just want everyones opinion if this may be a good deal, everything looks ok, just won't be able to see if it runs till I replace those items. Ive rebuilt a couple 2 stroke motors, but haven't done much with 4 strokes. So, I don't mind if I gotta do a little work. So what do you all think its worth just by what I know about it?? Thanks!!
Which starter cover is cracked, and as said previously, push start it to see how it runs............

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
If anything just make sure the motor turns over. A big screwdriver and a 19mm deepwell socket and ratchet will tell you if it is froze up or not. But push starting it would be better. I would not pay 1500 for it with the problems though.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
if the starter cover is cracked this usually means that the starter doesn't work and the owner was hitting it with a hammer trying to get it to engage. again push start it or at least try to turn it over with a wrench in from the inspection plug. point out every little flaw and use them to get the best deal possible

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Agreed on everything everyone is saying. Tough to justify paying that kind of money for something if you can't tell if it runs. Hope it works for you though and you are able to get a good deal!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here is the update. Still haven't went and checked this thing out yet, just seen pics and been texting the guy. He says it wont start because that starter cap is cracked and it has no pressure. So he says it just had the crank and top end rebuilt by a local repair shop and he thinks they put that cap on wrong....so iit has no time at all on the rebuild. Maybe I should call the shop and get their opinion. Sounds fishy!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well here is the update. Still haven't went and checked this thing out yet, just seen pics and been texting the guy. He says it wont start because that starter cap is cracked and it has no pressure. So he says it just had the crank and top end rebuilt by a local repair shop and he thinks they put that cap on wrong....so iit has no time at all on the rebuild. Maybe I should call the shop and get their opinion. Sounds fishy!
Sounds like a good idea to call the repair shop.
I am wondering why he hasnt since if they just worked on it and havent fixed it properly, then they should at least check it out and repair it.
It must have been running when it left the repair shop, why would he pickup a non running bike........

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to call the repair shop.
I am wondering why he hasnt since if they just worked on it and havent fixed it properly, then they should at least check it out and repair it.
It must have been running when it left the repair shop, why would he pickup a non running bike........
Yeah something isn't right there. What is a starter cap and what needs pressure to start??? i can see it needing oil pressure but I have started my quads with side covers inspection plugs off, not on purpose though...

·
Master of the Electron
15,668 Posts
Never heard of a 'starter cap'... this sure sounds like something I'd run away from (at any more than about $750). The owner obviously doesn't have a clue about his own machine (or he's simply lying to try to sell it).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pics. And here is description. Will call repair shop soon. Give me your opinions off what you have heard and seen. Dont mind a little fixing up but don't want a basket case. Already had some. I want a raptor and if its a good deal I would jump on it!

‎2002 Raptor 660r, $1,500 o.b.o. new battery, new clutch, new tires/rims, just rebuilt by ACTION MOTORSPORTS, starter cap is cracked needs new (on ebay for around $60) also needs new silanoid, will not start wit out them repaced so as is, will not go lower than $1,000 so shoot me an offer

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
That's the starter COVER. Hard to figure out exactly what you are talking about when you called it a cap. Looks like he started torquing on that bottom right bolt pretty good and cracked it. I would have thought he'd have stripped it first though.

Honestly, the guy is an idiot if he actually states that he won't go lower than $1k. Why is anyone going to offer anything HIGHER than a grand if he's already said how low he's willing to go? In fact, I'd probably still offer him less money for it, seeing as how it won't start and he doesn't seem to know much about it.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
That's the starter COVER. Hard to figure out exactly what you are talking about when you called it a cap. Looks like he started torquing on that bottom right bolt pretty good and cracked it. I would have thought he'd have stripped it first though.

Honestly, the guy is an idiot if he actually states that he won't go lower than $1k. Why is anyone going to offer anything HIGHER than a grand if he's already said how low he's willing to go? In fact, I'd probably still offer him less money for it, seeing as how it won't start and he doesn't seem to know much about it.
Well said cdg I was thinking the same about the price. I know how he messed up the starter cover. He didn't have the gears lined up and "crack". I would look it over real good and ask why the cover was off and who broke it. Proof that a shop did it and if you can get some more details on what was done would help to. If they just slapped a piston in it or if the did the valves and all, it makes a big difference IMO.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought one I thought was just electrical.Once starter was disconnected from the gear if drives,it worked fine.The one way clutch bearing and sprocket was fine too.You can turn the crank one way until it stops,then you can turn it back the other the same distance.The 5 valves look good but I figure the lower rod bearing failed or the crank is broken or piston failed.If it's the lower rod bearing or rod,the cases will have to be split.Used cylinders and new pistons are relatively cheap on ebay.I'll post exactly what it was when I take the head and cylinder off.Need a a 5 mm hex with a socket attachment.It's an 02 Raptor 660 with yoshi slip on with a lot of aftermarket parts.I got it for $400.00 though.My two stroke experience is not enough for this four stroke and will probably end up parting it out and still should make double what I paid for it minimum.I hate to this happen to you.Spend the extra money and get one that is running.There have been some good ones on Ebay for not much more than what that guy wants for his.
You can check the starter out pretty easy.Take the starter cover off,remove that drive gear it spins and see if the starter works with no resistance on it.If the battery is dead try it with jumper cables.If it works take the next cover off,you will have to remove the shift lever,put a wrench on the flywheel nut and try turning the crank with it in neutral and see if you can make a complete turn.You can also visually inspect the one way starter bearing located behind the flywheel and check for wear on the sprocket behind it.Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE: Well I finially got a hold of the repair shop, and this guy still has it for sale.....figured there was a story behind it so called the shop and spent about 30min on phone with them. He said this guy bought this raptor from someone for 1,500 and was told it only needed a clutch. They put in a clutch and messed it all up so sent it to the shop. The shop ended up pulling the motor apart, found piston in backwards, crank and bearings bad, head bad, starter is bad, etc...He said they didn't have much money to pay so they bought some "very used" parts on ebay and wanted him to put in and he did some, but eventually they weren't paying and ended up picking it up. He said if I bought this, it would need a complete rebuild bottom and top ends, and new starter. He said hes pretty sure they put back in bad crank and bearings and just stuck it all together to sell. He also said someone painted the plastics and its all flaking off. He said with all parts and labor I would probably be looking at about $1,200 to rebuild motor. Then its gonna need a seat cover, starter, plus what ever else. Sounds like its a basket case!

·
Registered
362 Posts
UPDATE: Well I finially got a hold of the repair shop, and this guy still has it for sale.....figured there was a story behind it so called the shop and spent about 30min on phone with them. He said this guy bought this raptor from someone for 1,500 and was told it only needed a clutch. They put in a clutch and messed it all up so sent it to the shop. The shop ended up pulling the motor apart, found piston in backwards, crank and bearings bad, head bad, starter is bad, etc...He said they didn't have much money to pay so they bought some "very used" parts on ebay and wanted him to put in and he did some, but eventually they weren't paying and ended up picking it up. He said if I bought this, it would need a complete rebuild bottom and top ends, and new starter. He said hes pretty sure they put back in bad crank and bearings and just stuck it all together to sell. He also said someone painted the plastics and its all flaking off. He said with all parts and labor I would probably be looking at about $1,200 to rebuild motor. Then its gonna need a seat cover, starter, plus what ever else. Sounds like its a basket case!

This may still be a deal. Based on facts you found out. I would do some extreme low balling.

If you can get the bike for pennies. It would be worth the money invested to have an almost new machine.

Glad though you didn't buy first and get stuck with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So in your opinion....what price would be a great deal with all the work that needs done? $4-500??? Since the plastics have been painted, how can that be fixed?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
that'd be a steal for 500 IMO. And the plastics can't be "fixed" you could try removing it with some super high grit sandpaper, but chances are because they are painted, there are stress marks all over the plastic. I've heard of people using rhino liner to paint their plastics but not sure how it holds up. Good luck with the buy :) :beer:

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
500 max strip the paint with a paint stripper then cut the fenders off. Now go buy a cheap graphics kit down the tank area. There's a guy screen name dog86 he can be found in BS thread. I think he has a gang of 660 parts bro you may wanna get with him may get some good parts at a used price and build you a budget bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.