Raptor Forum banner

321 - 340 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
1 year Raptiversary went great. I'm beat up, I definitely cut the lip too steep. Learned some hard lessons, like landing in a dead stop from 10 feet up sucks....bad.....and there's a dip in the comfort/speed graph which means you have to just send it or keep beating yourself up.....further up the hill you fly, the less you fall to land.....which is exactly the kind of conundrum I live for.

Once I wore the lip down, I got some good hits out of it, and the best part, is that there's still plenty of ramp left. I'll get at least one more good session out of it.

Gonna take me a while to put an edit together. Got some killer footage.

10/10 day.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
1 year Raptiversary went great. I'm beat up, I definitely cut the lip too steep. Learned some hard lessons, like landing in a dead stop from 10 feet up sucks....bad.....and there's a dip in the comfort/speed graph which means you have to just send it or keep beating yourself up.....further up the hill you fly, the less you fall to land.....which is exactly the kind of conundrum I live for.

Once I wore the lip down, I got some good hits out of it, and the best part, is that there's still plenty of ramp left. I'll get at least one more good session out of it.

Gonna take me a while to put an edit together. Got some killer footage.

10/10 day.

Just don't get yourself hurt. That is quite of a jump. How are you and quad handli the stress on landing?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just don't get yourself hurt. That is quite of a jump. How are you and quad handli the stress on landing?
Definitely trying not too bro, thank you man. :D

It was so late I didn't get to post flight till the next morning.....Everything looks goodish, skid plates are pretty beat up. I feel like I did a full body workout with 2 leg days back to back.....so....all good things!

At some point near the end the tail light shroud gave up the ghost but I think that's it, until I go through with a torque wrench and see if anything backed off, I'm saying the bike came through big time.

I can't wait to get a couple days of recovery under me and get back out. I'm going to work the transition a little bit and see if I can't break the new angle into 3rd gear.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Connection is slow at your end. It plays fine and I like the video :)

I thought you used a digger or something but I see you did it the hard way. Respect for the effort :) I never jumped more than a half a meter with mine but as far I understand or at least that's how the physics should work ... When you are airborne you can use the brakes. More importantly the rear one since it has more spinning mass. When you apply the brake the quad should tilt down since the spinning momentum transits from wheels to whole quad and if you hit the gas it should tilt up. That's my theory. IDK if it actually works or if even if there is enough airborne time for this to manifest.
Actually it works. Found a video here

Try to land more on all wheels. I'd avoid landing on rear axle or even just one of the rear tyres. The axle should hold but the bearings and other stuff is more likely to fail over time.

Keep it up

·
Registered
238 Posts
Connection is slow at your end. It plays fine and I like the video :)

I thought you used a digger or something but I see you did it the hard way. Respect for the effort :) ....

Try to land more on all wheels. I'd avoid landing on rear axle or even just one of the rear tyres. The axle should hold but the bearings and other stuff is more likely to fail over time.

Keep it up
Thank you bro! Great vid....I definitely need to shape up my mid air game and I'm looking for advantages everywhere I can find them, this will definitely cut down on some hard knocks....especially given the spot I found today.....If all goes well I'll be stretching the legs a bit, def on a dirtbike, maybe on a quad in the same line....

Gratitude for the encouragement and I will try to apply the tips in the next episode. :D

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Little sahara, waynoka oklahoma, again! God, i f-ing love that place! It was hot as hell this weekend so not many other riders and the sand was in great shape. Rappy wanted to run a little warm, but i still let her eat...lol. If you like to ride and have not been to a sandbox, GO. ASAP. My crappy phone pictures do not do it justice, you cant see any depth. Just go man....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Little sahara, waynoka oklahoma, again! God, i f-ing love that place! It was hot as hell this weekend so not many other riders and the sand was in great shape. Rappy wanted to run a little warm, but i still let her eat...lol. If you like to ride and have not been to a sandbox, GO. ASAP. My crappy phone pictures do not do it justice, you cant see any depth. Just go man....

One day! Looks like Little Sahara is the closest sand box for me. Will have to make it on day!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,292 Posts

I LOVE sand, it looks great, reasonably smooth. The last picture is backwards but I can still see your grin!!

·
10,292 Posts
One day! Looks like Little Sahara is the closest sand box for me. Will have to make it on day!
Just get a few guys together and GO!! You don't need sand tires, just drop air pressure down to about 5psi in the rear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
:D - 10/10 day.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #332 (Edited)
So I've been to a offroad event for quads. Firs one for me so it was interesting to ride in large groups. The terrain was fun, technical and muddy in some places so it was quite an experience. It was also the fist time I drove over about 40-50cm of mud. Wasn't looking forward to doing that but since there was no alternative route ... The mud went over the front grill and all over the quad .... but WOT saves the situation :) Also got quite of the trip on video. Too bad that battery ran out at the end where the mud was and also quite a lot of the footage has mud stuck to the camera so it isn't really usable :)

~150. Mostly 4x4 and 12ish SxS

Stop at half point. It got even more mud on it afterwards.

Lots od Polaris quads had issues with overheating since their killers are mounted lower and get filled with mud faster. Mine got mud into it only in the last few puddles where the mud went right over the whole thing.

·
10,292 Posts
So I've been to a offroad event for quads. Firs one for me so it was interesting to ride in large groups. The terrain was fun, technical and muddy in some places so it was quite an experience. It was also the fist time I drove over about 40-50cm of mud. Wasn't looking forward to doing that but since there was no alternative route ... The mud went over the front grill and all over the quad .... but WOT saves the situation :) Also got quite of the trip on video. Too bad that battery ran out at the end where the mud was and also quite a lot of the footage has mud stuck to the camera so it isn't really usable :)

~150. Mostly 4x4 and 12ish SxS

Stop at half point. It got even more mud on it afterwards.

Lots od Polaris quads had issues with overheating since their killers are mounted lower and get filled with mud faster. Mine got mud into it only in the last few puddles where the mud went right over the whole thing.
That brings back the good old days for me. I was so muddy the wife would hose me off before I could come on the porch to strip. She likes mud to, but when she gets stuck she would call me or our son for help.

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Supra, that type of conditions shows momentum is your friend, lol. Perfect way to end the video.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Yeah. If you think of fuel consumption then you end up burning calories and building muscle mass :D

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
We went to Dumont Dunes outside of Baker, California for the first time last weekend. It was still pretty warm (mid 90's) in the desert, so we pretty much had the entire dunes to ourselves. It was awesome. Took the first day to train up the kids on how to safely climb the dunes and the 2nd day it was full throttle all day. The pics don't do justice on the size or steepness of the dunes. The one pic is of the family at the bottom of the dune where my tire is on the tip. I would not come here on a holiday weekend though, the pics I saw were slammed with people. The parking/camping area is huge, looks like a dry lakebed. It's also soft, so if pulling an RV 4wd is highly recommended.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 345 Posts