Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are shops charging to powdercoat full frames? Anyone here done it?

I'm thinking the rappy is gonna get a facelift. I want to get away from the silver frame and gray/camo plastics and go blue frame and black plastics with blue hood/accents and some billet.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
They have to prep the frame before p. coating...that usually requires sand blasting...some may have to be chemical dipped if they have been coated before.

That usually runs about $80 on average
Then the powder coat..standard solid colors are around $120 for the frame
chromatic/metallic would run around $160
pearlecent/color change would run around $250
so your looking at $200-$330 to get the frame done.....Depends on who you take it too they may include the subframe as part of the frame, some consider it separate and charge you for the sub as well.
these prices I found are average...some may be cheaper, some may be more expensive....
Through a friend of mine I'm getting my whole quad p. coated, (almost everypart, around 30 pieces) for $650.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably have to look at budgeting $600-$700 for powdercoating then because I want blue (just normal blue) everything.... frame, subframe, swinger, a-arms, etc.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
These prices are what I found in my area, they may be more expensive else where, or cheaper,...I know I had my head and rocker box p.coated in virginia and the dude (not coalshed) charged me around $160. The guy up here quoted me less than half that. I needed it done while it was down there..nothing I could do.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
no argument from me that the guy I use for powder is expensive. Also no argument that he does great work.

I'm sure there are many shops around the country who would do just as good a job as my local guy for less money but he is the best around here so he is who I use. By the time I paid shipping back and forth from some other place in the country to do it, the price would probably be the same.

Anyway, a couple hundred bucks is what you should expect to pay to get a frame coated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got my frame, sub-frame, upper/lower a-arms & swing arm sand blasted for $25. I got the upper A-Arms & Sub-Frame chromed for $220 and the lower control arms, swing arm and frame powder coated for $50 so I have $295 total in mine. These are Tulsa prices and very high quality work.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
tearing it down to the frame isbn't hard, just time consuming ::), just have to keep everything organized, good idea would be to mark your wiring connections, I found two of the same connections on the wiring harness that can be switched..can't remember which ones..
I'm running around $800-$850 for all of my p. coating.. Thats almost every piece on the entire bike, counting theframe, sub, motor, case halves, head, jug, rocker box, side covers, engine mounts, hubs, spindles, arms, swing, levers, nerfs, bumper, grab, skids, handle bars, covers, ect.....
The more work it takes to cover holes and areas that can't be coated, the higher the cost.
My case halves are going to require little p.coat, but there is going to be a lot of covering and blocking off areas that can't be p.coated..the two case halves are running near $150 for both pieces alone. FYI-if you want to p.coat the case halves, you have to gut your entire motor...every piece!

polishing your case halves doesn't require total disassembly, but is more maintanence to keep a good polished finish.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just did mine myself. Anyone in the NY Tristate area need anything done let me know....my boy owns ASYLUM CUSTOM BIKE WORKS in CT. Sorry for the bad pics they came from my Nextel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I wish I could take credit for being dedicated like that, but the reason is that I'm getting a stroker crank put in the bike. While I had the cases open I decided to gut the insides and check wear tolerances and replace all seals and bearings... While everything was(is) gutted completely, I decided to have them p. coated along with the rest of my stuff. I guess it was just a matter of convienance....I would never gut my case to p.coat them...it was a huge pain in the @ss to get a few of them bearings and seals out! Something I don't plan on doing often/never again at all!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Got some alright pics of the metallic yellow that the frame, sub and accent are being colored
be getting the samples of the silver metallic, and blue metallic later,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
number3
This is a better image

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Those are actual images from my camera..
The guy coated 3 types of the metallic he had, and this one i liked most.
That was just a test piece of tube.
He's dipping the frame, and all the parts in a solvent bath tonight, and starting the p.coat tommorrow.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts