Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I'm considering what to do as far as dress up to my Raptor next. Pegs, rear link, oil tank mounts, headlight brackets, Clutch Cover, and Crank case cover. I am debating between powder coating and polishing for some of the parts. Both will be done, just trying to decide on heavy wear areas like the crank and clutch covers, and pegs. If I powder coat, how well will this hold up to my boots rubbing on it? Is it something I'm going to have to have re-done every year? Any special powder coat I need to request for the engine area?

Any of you guys that have some powder coating done that dont mind posting up pics, I'd love to see them for some ideas.... Thanks!

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention, I want my quad to look great, but I do ride it, she's not a trailer queen.... I've put almost 900 miles in the last 9 monts.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What kind of conditions will you be riding in? Mine is somewhat dressed with polished guards/parts. Every time I clean and polish all the bling up and go for for a ride it always gets something on it. I pressure wash all mud but it never comes all the way off and seeps from hidden areas once I put it away.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Polish is nice because it's something you can do at home, but it gets somewhat annoying hand polishing every part before a weekend, you could also do Chrome which is very durable and shines with ease.

Powdercoat in general is very strong, though it can't hold up to constant rubbing and still be shinny. If you're going to powdercoat any part though, I would start with the frame. A nice custom color frame is the difference between a clean bike and a sweet bike.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ride dirt trail, forest, desert, sand dunes. Anything I can. I try to stay out of the mud since putting on the FCI. Some day I'll do a full tear down but not yet. Still working on detail for now :) can they chrome clutch and crank covers without doing the underside? I dont want leaks. I want everything to seal up tight again.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Polished aluminum looks great but is a royal pain to keep it looking that way. even a simple wash will require touch up work. Save yourself the trouble, countless hours of work and tons of elbow grease...Powdercoat it FTW!!

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I ride dirt trail, forest, desert, sand dunes. Anything I can. I try to stay out of the mud since putting on the FCI. Some day I'll do a full tear down but not yet. Still working on detail for now :) can they chrome clutch and crank covers without doing the underside? I dont want leaks. I want everything to seal up tight again.
Whether you powdercoat, polish, or chrome.... you have to tear it all the way down. If you want to make the motor pretty without tearing it down, you can always paint it.... just takes alot of cleaning to get the oil out of the aluminum.

Here's a pic of Coops bike I post every chance I get on here :D Granted there's no powdercoat, only paint and chrome, but you can get the same effect with powdercoat with even more durability. I think I might have a picture of me painting the motor

And here's Monster700's bike with alot of polish, chrome, and painted engine cases/frame

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where did you get all of the Chrome work done? The cylinder looks great. If I wanted to have the Cylinder chromed, and the covers for the crank and clutch could they do all of those? the water pump inlet looks great too...

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Where did you get all of the Chrome work done? The cylinder looks great. If I wanted to have the Cylinder chromed, and the covers for the crank and clutch could they do all of those? the water pump inlet looks great too...
On the blue bike the chrome work was done KBR racing, try googling it. You can have anything done as long as it's bare metal. Though I'm not sure how hot a cylinder gets so I'm not sure if it would blue from heat, the paint holds up fine though. Most people polish the cylinders, the red frame bike has a polished cylinder/head with chrome crankcase covers.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Like the others said dont polish. Where we ride you will be polishing after every hour or so of riding.

I have used KBR's guy for chroming. He does a good job. Not an awesome job but for the price its really good. We sent him a cylinder and he wouldnt chrome it. Sent it back polished. I cant remember the reasoning.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Powdercoating is great! But I hate polishing things.

Here is a quick comparison of my quad when I got it and after I had a little powdercoating done:

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good! I have all blacked out barkers on mine. Black ceramic coated pipes too.. I just did my first bit of polishing tonight. Polished the heat sheilds on the barkers. Hopefully it wont affect the way they work.. LOL. Oh well, they look awesome. Even did a little Laser Engraving on them.. Maybe I'll post pics after I get some of the engine parts done.. Has anyone noticed engine overheat problems, or pistons seizing with the cylinder powder coated? I was going to powder coat my cylinder, and polish the head, but now I'm thinking I might have to do it the other way around to avoid heating it to much and causing it to seize... TQS, that may be why he wouldn't do the chrome on it. Thanks guys for all of your input and ideas. They're being put to use as we speak. LOL. Anyone that has any more pics please keep posting!!!! Thanks again! Steve I'd love to see what you ride.. I know it's probably not a rappy with all the MX you do, but I'd love to see it! We all know you sell a ton of rappy parts so that makes up for it. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
no more atv's for me. just this and a ktm 450

Here is the motor I had KBR chrome

Everything chrome on this bike was done by KBR's guy

MX Bike

Raptor

Pismo Beach Endurance Race

Thats all the good machines...I tend to buy and sell a lot. Never have more than 2 at a time.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Oh cant forget the 2004 YFZ when it first came out. It was a beast on the track against the 400ex and z400's

Man I completely forgot about this one

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, those are some beautiful bikes man.. Very nice! Is that an XP in the top pic? Couple of guys I work with bought them. I'd love to have one, but prob not in the budget for a couple more years.. They're very impressive!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts