Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Most people place there PCIII in the little "cubby" where the tool kit goes from the factory. Thats where I placed mine....but it doesnt want to stay there. The velcro keeps coming Unstuck. Not the velcro itself....but the sticky part that is suppose to stick to the plastic wall. I have added pieces...bought more strips.....they all fall off after a little while.
I was thinking about ziptying or velcro strapping it down up in the front part of the underseat, on top the bracket for the battery. Dont know if it will work....and that is why I am wondering if anyone else has put it there. I got the idea from this guy who has the dyna. You could retain the tool kit that way too!

(thats also the lid I will be getting)

·
Registered
297 Posts
hey man whatever works best for you. try to place it somewhere that is convenient for you to get at and work with. thats what everyone else is doing and it just works better for them individually.

·
Registered
610 Posts
That's how I have part of my alarm system mounted and it's never worked loose. I stuck a thin piece of foam rubber underneath it to isolate it from the metal bracket and vibration (maybe) plus it give the ties something to compress when you tighten them, for more grip.

·
Registered
623 Posts
just curious, you said your getting that same lid. where do you purchase that lid? any further info?

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
135boom, just curious, but did you try lightly scuffing the plastic before you attatched the adhesive side of the velcro?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no I didnt.....maybe thats the problem.

I have had the PCIII for quit a long time now, and I have always had it mounted in the back where the stock tool kit goes. Due to the stock fastener pulling on the plastic wall, it isnt exactly flat either, and that has caused me problems too. I have tried all sorts of velcro and the minute I try taking it out of there to make an adjustment, instead of the velcro releasing, the addhesive releases and my pcIII ends up with both sides of the velcro on it.
Just starting to get lame. I am going to try to mount it up forward with a velcro strap. I'll post pics If I get it to work!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Dobecks don't have this problem. :lol:

But seriously ;), I've never ran across any of that velcro one side/adhesive the other that was worth a darn. Velcro is just too good a product. You might have better luck with the adhesive sticking by cutting some of the hook or loop stuff off to weaken it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pacanis said:
Dobecks don't have this problem. :lol:

But seriously ;), I've never ran across any of that velcro one side/adhesive the other that was worth a darn. Velcro is just too good a product. You might have better luck with the adhesive sticking by cutting some of the hook or loop stuff off to weaken it.
"tue-shay" :lol: :)

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Boom, try cleaning it real good with rubbing alcohol or acetone and then like SE700r said scuff it with some gray scotch brite. That's what I did and I have had no problems since last August.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I also took some steel wool and scuffed it up good and then wiped it down with rubbing alcohol on the plastic :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I haven't tried this on a quad but it worked to keep Velcro stuck to plastic inside my truck: form-a-gasket.

I was trying to Velcro a CB radio microphone onto the dash instead of drilling screws into it to mount the holder. It worked great in the winter but for some reason the Velcro would unglue itself from the plastic in the summer. I'm guessing the heat caused the adhesive to fail. Anyway, I had a tube of form-a-gasket laying in my tool box and decided to use it to "glue" the Velcro to the dash. It has held tight for two summers and does not appear to have discolored the plastic underneath.

I don't know if the chemical makeup of the stuff would discolor the plastic used to make the fenders on our quads but it would seem to be harmless if you tried form-a-gasket to glue the velcro strap in the location you want. Even if it did discolor the area would be covered by the seat anyway. Maybe someone has a wrecked fender they could try it out on? Who knows: it might be a miracle cure.

·
Registered
314 Posts
135boom said:
I I am going to try to mount it up forward with a velcro strap. I'll post pics If I get it to work!
thats a pretty good idea. mabey create two slots just wide enough for the strap to go through on either side and wola!! i like it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try using crazy glue on the adheasive side of the velcro,I've used this with velcro in different applications and had good resuts.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Boom, try cleaning it real good with rubbing alcohol or acetone and then like SE700r said scuff it with some gray scotch brite. That's what I did and I have had no problems since last August.
Acetone melts plastic, so if you use acetone to clean it then you should not need to scuff it.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
pile0g00 said:
RaptorRandy27 said:
Acetone melts plastic, so if you use acetone to clean it then you should not need to scuff it.
No it doesn't, it evaporates to fast if you just wipe it quickly it will clean it and remove the mold release agents. To melt it you need to soak the rag and leave it on there for a while before it will soften the substrait.

·
Registered
665 Posts
are any of you worried about the pc getting wet? i ride on the east coast and we have rainy any wet ,muddy trails, and lots of stream crossings, what would be a way to keep the pc from getting wet?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
pile0g00 said:
RaptorRandy27 said:
No it doesn't, it evaporates to fast if you just wipe it quickly it will clean it and remove the mold release agents. To melt it you need to soak the rag and leave it on there for a while before it will soften the substrait.
Maybe the composite of plastic used for the body is different than CR39, polycarbonate, or the others I have worked with, but unless they have a uv hardened resign it will turn the plastic white and melt it even with a small amount on a cloth. Of course I am talking about optical lenses so it is a lot more noticeable then colored plastic.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Of course I am talking about optical lenses so it is a lot more noticeable then colored plastic
I would never tell anyone to clean there glasses with acetone, I would however use it for a quick wipe inside the tool kit pocket where it will never make a difference even if it did cause the plastic to smear a little which it never has for me with a quick wipe. It will help the adhesive on the velcro stick, I think your trying to pick the specs out of flyshit here ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts