Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds kinda odd to me too. Washing it hot would keep the water off the motor and therfore avoiding condinsation, but I would think if its too hot you could possibly crack the head or cylinder. If you ride it regulary and change oil regulary, I dont see any harm either way. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I was told by a mechanic to never power wash your bike, he said it's the worst thing you can do. He says the high pressure water will get into seals, bearings, electrical etc. He told me he has made a lot of money over the years fixing or replacing parts due to people power washing. Since then I just rince off, spray some simple green and rince again. Works great. But I guess if you get caked with mud you have no other choice but to use high water pressure.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I dont think your really supposed to power wash your atv. I choose to do it anyways to get the really heavy stuff off and i do it gently...... Meaning i keep the tip as far away as possible to get the job done without hurting any of the seals or electrical connections.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I always use the power washer to clean my bike. Just make sure you keep the nozzle away from the throttle body, ECU, A-arm and swingarm bearings or anything electrical. Also, keep the water out of the can of your pipe when you're cleaing under the fenders.

Frank

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
use a power washer, keep the nozzle as far away as possible. and i grease it everytime i wash it. may not need it everytime but it pushes the dirt and water out of the bearings..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i power washed my 660 like every weekend for 4 years, bike ram perfect from start to finish???? QUAD mag recomends starting to running temp before power washing I will grab the issue no. and page tom, while I am in my office ...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
that is strange, why would you want to start yuor quad to wash it?

by the way I went to lowes today and saw a Honda 2,500psi pressure washer for $300 it was nice too and you know the honda motor will last forever! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've used a pressure washer on my 700 from day one. A year later i'm still using pressure washers and the bike is fine. Just keep the tip away from the bearings and electrical components. I leave my raptor running while I wash it to avoid water getting inside my pipe. As soon as I'm done I tip it up on its right side to let the water run out. I'm not sure where it runs from but it appears to be coming from below the handlebars/gas tank. 8) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Same here.. pressure washed for years. Not one problem with any of them. I use it mainly to get the large chunks off the plastics, wheels, tires, etc.

Then I scrub it, rinse it off, and apply a nice coating of floor wax (ie MopNGlow) and she shines lines a Christmas penny.

I tried to powerwash my powerwasher once... didn't work too well... lol :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I just bought a Honda 2500 psi pressure washer, new for $300. It started right up on the first pull. It is awesome for atv! strong enough to blaster all dirt, mudd, grease, ect. but not quite strong enought to blast the stickers that come on the rappy or to hurt the elctricals. I sprayed it everywhere and it started up right afterwards. Looks brand new!

this is it:

this is rappy after mudding this past weekend

·
Registered
17 Posts
LET ME ASK U THIS I HAVE A CAR WASH RIGHT BEHIND THE PLACE I STORE MY QUAD,, I WANNA HOSE IT DOWN DO I ,,, THEY HAVE A POWER WASHER THAT SPRAY SOAP DO I USE THE SOAP THEN SPARY CLEAN OR JUST WATER FROM START TO FINISH IF I HOLD THE GUN FAR BACK ENOUGH IT SHOULDNT BE 2 STRONG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.