Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I'm not the show and shine kind of guy, this bike is trail ridden and I always favor functionnality over looks... I'm not the kind of guy that spends hours washing things that get caked up in mud in less than 2 minutes the next day either :p

MODEL: 2008 Yamaha Raptor 700R Red/White Special Edition

ENGINE
- 11:5 CP TQS Tech piston
- Hotcams Stage 2
- Barkers duals (not in the pictures!)
- Dobeck Gen 3 (Lexx) Fuel Controller
- Pro-Design intake
- K&N filter + Outerwear
- Air box lid removed
- Iridium Spark Plug
- Blue wire mod
- Temp gauge on top hose

SUSPENSION, TIRES, WHEELS, DRIVE
- Stadium shocks up front (not on the pictures)
- +4.5 inches DiamondJ widening kit up front
- G-Force +4 rear axle
- ITP Front Outer Beadlocks
- ITP Rear Outer Beadlocks
- Maxxis 22" RAZR2 tires front
- ITP GNCC 20" tires rear
- 15 tooth front sprocket
- Relocated Front Brake Lines
- Mod Quad +2 Tie-Rods

ARMOR / AESTHETICS / CARGO
- Full cut fenders front/rear
- Pro-Armor Main Skidplate
- PRM 1/4" Swingarm Skidplate
- Pro-Armor Fat Nerfbars with Integrated Heelguards
- Pro-Armor Radiator Guard
- Custom front bumber with 5.67L Kolpin gas tank

CONTROLS / LIGHTING / ELECTRONICS
- PowerMadd Handguards
- Pro-Taper Flexbars
- Trailtech Halogen lights, (one flood + one spot)
- Parking Brake removed w/ Moose block-off plate
- Reverse Switch relocated to right front frame
- Pro-Design Kill Switch (teethered)
- Basic GPS for speed indication on RAM mount craddle and custom mount
- Left Side Rear View Mirror Mounted on Handguard

·
Registered
105 Posts
That Raptor looks great!!! What kind of riding do you do? If I remember from another thread you did lots of logging road riding?
Nice looking quad non the less.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That Raptor looks great!!! What kind of riding do you do? If I remember from another thread you did lots of logging road riding?
Nice looking quad non the less.
Thanks!

I do a bit of everything. We have a groomed trail system here in Quebec and we go on these for short trips (it's a 20 minute trailer ride instead of 2.5 hours). These trails are maintained by clubs and all so they are pretty smooth, mostly hardpack with a bit of very light mud on occasion.

What I like most are the forest roads further up north. These are service roads for loggers mostly but they are maintained and grated on a regular basis so they are pretty much smooth gravel or dirt roads with lots of turns. Best way to describe the ridding we do there is that it's pretty much like what you'll see with rally cars. Lots of fun :)

I got some stuff on order to fix some of the things that annoy me. I got a pair of trailtech lights coming my way to out in the original spot so I can ditch that ugly center beam and also a 6 pack rack to carry my gas instead of that ugly side rack... I really like how it turned out though, it's got all the power I need and it's really a joy to drive.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Tu dois être sale en criss après une ride LOL.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tu dois être sale en criss après une ride LOL.
I try and avoid mud when possible. Anyway it's not like the stock fenders do much if anything to protect from mud when you have 6" extra width up front :p

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been asked pics of my DiamondJ 6" kit and my Trailtech lights. Here they are! Before anyone tells me, I know, that thing needs to be cleaned :p

Trailtech lights (halogen):

Rear spacers with center punched out (for access to the axel nut):

DiamondJ 6" kit:

Tie-rod extension:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also updated the list with recent changes, nothing major :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, tie-rod extension #1 died recently. Had a very light low speed crash and it was bent. I ordered some real extended tie-rods to fix the issue.

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
You need to add that thing to the ROTM nominations. That thing is just a beauty.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need to add that thing to the ROTM nominations. That thing is just a beauty.
Those pictures really do make her look neater than she is :) It changed quite a bit since I took these pictures. The plastics are getting pretty roughed up lol!

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
So your like me and roll a bit right?

Those make me sick...
Here is a more recent pic

It got sat on it's side the 6th and now my stem is bent along with the rear plastics. Do you like your rears cut? I do the same type of riding...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So your like me and roll a bit right?

It got sat on it's side the 6th and now my stem is bent along with the rear plastics. Do you like your rears cut? I do the same type of riding...
Hehe well rolling... No I don't really like it but in the winter it's really hard not to. I like to think of myself as an excellent driver, I'm actually pretty chicken too so I'm not the kind that will go over his capacities and end up crashing every ride. I ride a lot in the winter though and it's much harder to keep from crashing then, you can do the same trail 5 times during the same week and have totally different conditions every time and visibility of bumps/ruts isn't too good with the sun flashing your eyes.. There's also those pockets of loose snow you don't see at all that your front end just digs into...

I've had like 10 crashes so far with my Raptor and 9 of them were in the winter time... and all of them were sudden and totally unexpected given what I was seeing in front of me.

Last winter I was looking at my fenders and both the driver side ones were bent down like 3-4" lower than the other side and I couldn't straighten them so I said f**k it and cut 'em out. I had seen it on here and I liked to look, so 1+1.... :)

Do I like it? I totally love the look yes and it really turns heads and gets people talking. Not that I was looking for attention, but it's funny how people react to it. As far as elements protection, it's not very different than before because my tires stick out so much that the fenders didn't really protect much if at all to begin with. There is one very annoying thing though, I can't really follow anyone up close because I often get rocks thrown on my knees... Seems like it's just the right height to get the flying debris from the guy up front... An inch-diameter sharp pebble on the knee getting thrown my the modded Raptor in front of you hurts like shit, take my word for it hehe.

Also, in the winter, it's not been much of an issue as far as wind/cold protection goes...

So all in all, I don't regret the move. I love the looks and the disadvantages are pretty insignificant... The occasional rock on the knee makes me bitch at it once in a while, but it's not bad enough that I'd want to get back to full plastics.

A friend of mine did the same as me but just in the rear. He like it, no complaints. The only issue he has is his exhausts toasting his butt.. He has LTE's, I have Barkers... It's not been an issue for me, but he sometimes complains about it on his. I think the LTE's are mounted a bit closer to the seat.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Well sir. you just made up my mind...
I'M DOING THE "QCRAPTOR" CUT!!! :D ( I think I might leave a bit on the back for looks)

Thanks for all the info... I love riding in the winter :) and I spend a lot of time on it in the winter too! How are the 2 lil trail tech halogen lights holding up? They bright?

They look killer on there ;)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well sir. you just made up my mind...
I'M DOING THE "QCRAPTOR" CUT!!! :D ( I think I might leave a bit on the back for looks)
If you want tips on cutting 'em.. I used a box knife with a new blade to cut them and it went very well. Did like 3-4 passes, slowly and eventually I could just bend them a bit and finish it off with the knife. I then bought a tiny file from the local hardware store and filed the remaining lip (I didn't cut exactly where I wanted 'em to end, left a little lip). The file really helped making the surface pretty smooth. I could sand it further, but it's good enough for me.

How are the 2 lil trail tech halogen lights holding up? They bright?

They look killer on there ;)
Well one of them burnt last winter, not sure why or how. I haven't been able to find replacement bulbs locally and I didn't bother checking online yet. The bulb has trailtech stamped onto it, so I'm thinking there might not be generic ones available... Other than that they are great, they never loosen up!

As far as brightness goes, they are similar to the stock ones. Also, I have a bit of a power issue since I got them on, not sure if it's coincidence or not, but often I'll come to start my bike and it won't have enough.. Once started it runs great and it'll be OK all day.. but when it sits it seems to drain out. I'm pretty sure it's just the battery that's going dead, but I'm wondering if it's the lights that killed it. I changed the battery a while back for a spare one I had but it was used, from another bike, so I don't know if that one was almost dead as well.

Anyways, they make good replacements for stock... but they aren't much brighter. I've been running with only one of them since the other burnt and it sucks at night, it's barely enough.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
If you want tips on cutting 'em.. I used a box knife with a new blade to cut them and it went very well. Did like 3-4 passes, slowly and eventually I could just bend them a bit and finish it off with the knife. I then bought a tiny file from the local hardware store and filed the remaining lip (I didn't cut exactly where I wanted 'em to end, left a little lip). The file really helped making the surface pretty smooth. I could sand it further, but it's good enough for me.

Well one of them burnt last winter, not sure why or how. I haven't been able to find replacement bulbs locally and I didn't bother checking online yet. The bulb has trailtech stamped onto it, so I'm thinking there might not be generic ones available... Other than that they are great, they never loosen up!

As far as brightness goes, they are similar to the stock ones. Also, I have a bit of a power issue since I got them on, not sure if it's coincidence or not, but often I'll come to start my bike and it won't have enough.. Once started it runs great and it'll be OK all day.. but when it sits it seems to drain out. I'm pretty sure it's just the battery that's going dead, but I'm wondering if it's the lights that killed it. I changed the battery a while back for a spare one I had but it was used, from another bike, so I don't know if that one was almost dead as well.

Anyways, they make good replacements for stock... but they aren't much brighter. I've been running with only one of them since the other burnt and it sucks at night, it's barely enough.
Ok man I will try the box cutter :) Last time I used a jigsaw and did a lot of sanding... As far as the lights... It sounds like I should go with the LEDS...
Thanks sooo Much for the help. I will keep you posted...
I have to fix my stem and bars and some other crap first :(

EDIT: Hey when you get a chance upload an up to date pic :D thanks!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok man I will try the box cutter :) Last time I used a jigsaw and did a lot of sanding... As far as the lights... It sounds like I should go with the LEDS...
Thanks sooo Much for the help. I will keep you posted...
I have to fix my stem and bars and some other crap first :(

EDIT: Hey when you get a chance upload an up to date pic :D thanks!
LEDs or do you mean HIDs? I kinda wish I had gone for the HID trailtechs but then again the price difference was pretty big and I'm a cheap bastard. Dunno about LEDs but from what I see they don't produce much light.

And yeah I'll post some pics when I'm done prepping it up. It's been sitting for the past 4 months cause I was too busy and I've started giving her the summer prep. Still has mud from last year on it, lol... Just changed axle bearings, installed my new PRM swing skid, installed my nerf bars and I got an engine mount to change, chain, rear sprocket, rear brake pads, seat cover, etc. Once it's all done I'll clean her up and take a few pics!

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
LEDs or do you mean HIDs? I kinda wish I had gone for the HID trailtechs but then again the price difference was pretty big and I'm a cheap bastard. Dunno about LEDs but from what I see they don't produce much light.

And yeah I'll post some pics when I'm done prepping it up. It's been sitting for the past 4 months cause I was too busy and I've started giving her the summer prep. Still has mud from last year on it, lol... Just changed axle bearings, installed my new PRM swing skid, installed my nerf bars and I got an engine mount to change, chain, rear sprocket, rear brake pads, seat cover, etc. Once it's all done I'll clean her up and take a few pics!
http://www.trailtech.net/A182-SS.html

Those look BA^^ :grin_nod:

Dang sounds like some work, get on it man summer is almost over :lol:
I am cheap to but I like stuff to last lol... The raptor world is tough...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
http://www.trailtech.net/A182-SS.html

Those look BA^^ :grin_nod:

Dang sounds like some work, get on it man summer is almost over :lol:
I am cheap to but I like stuff to last lol... The raptor world is tough...
Look here: http://www.trailtech.net/lights.html check the charts at the bottom... Looks like the LED lights are crap to me :)

As for the bike vs summer, I have a newborn to take care of and I had some renovations to make to the house before he got here so I've been busy as hell. As much as I like my Raptor it's still just a hobby and family comes first (most of the time anyway hehe).

As soon as it's really to ride, it's going to get the worst beating he ever got though, man, I miss ridding it. Summer is my favourite time too, can't wait.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts