Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i was doing wheelies(w/ my new 15t awsome) when i noticed a strong gas smell. i actually stalled it one time and head what i thouth was a timing chain slap. when i started it back up thats when i smelled gas. looked around and found the oil resivor full of thin oil that smelled like fuel. i started panicing thinking i had blown a ring or somthing. got looking through the service manual and found that if i still had compression than it couldnt be a ring. wondering if mabey from doing long wheelies somehow starved the oil pump of oil causing it to loose prime. this would explain the abundence or oil in the tank, i let it sit and checked it the next day still full so i pulled some to put in a bottle to let it seperate. all oil no gas. so i started it, let run for a few and checked it again, now its ok?? i think it re-primed itself. anyone ever loosen that bolt on top of the res. to check oil pressure? am i way off here of what?? thanks SMIB

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on here people i know someone knows somthing. its been all day and i havent even got a your stupid yet. :(

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think there may be an issue with some of the injectors sticking open. I have read through some of the forums and people are having similar issues. I thought at first it may be something to do with the PC3 or others but not fully sure yet. I have heard that the injectors are on backorder from Yamaha. Not sure if they still are but I read this a few weeks ago so probably. I would keep a close eye on your oil so you don't end up with other issues. If it happens again I would take it to the dealer and ask whats up as long as your still under warranty. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes i did use the search button beore i posted. i read this one alredy. the problem went away but i still wonder what may have caused this to begin with. has anybody checked oil pressure like it says to do in the manual??

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just so you know we have a dry sump oil system which means you can't starve the oil system unless you drained all the oil out of the bike.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well if you cant starve the engine of oil with oil in it then what would happen if the oil pump impeller broke and you had no oil pressure? also i thaught that having a wet cluch was the same thing as a wet sump system, so a dry sump would have no oil around the cluch? dont know if im just stupid or what?? :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts