Raptor Forum banner

What is everyones preference on filter element type

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to get my facts together before I pull out the plastic. Also anyone using the GYTR intake adapter? If so what is the intake opening in mm? TIA ... Lee

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have not got an aftermarket intake yet but voted for foam as that is what I have always ran. You just always run into the horror stories about the K&N filters letting stuff in the motor. I am actually trying to decide this same thing, I can't help but think maybe the K&N with and outerwear and one of those aftermarket lids would protect as well as foam?

Jay

·
Registered
303 Posts
Although the K&N will give you better performance the foam is probably the better(safer) choice unless you are very good about filter maintance/upkeep.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
My K&N has never failed me yet :thumbsup: But on the other hand I had to rebuild my engine because of a foam filter letting sand in. :mad: The sand goes right in the foam and you can't get it out with cleanning it. :( I didn't know this until it was to late.

·
Registered
584 Posts
K&N with outerwares.

·
Registered
579 Posts
K&N with outerwear for sand and foam for everything else.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
CycleTech said:
Although the K&N will give you better performance the foam is probably the better(safer) choice unless you are very good about filter maintance/upkeep.
Unless you're TOO good about filter maintenance/upkeep and clean the filter too often. A little dirt actually helps and it's why K&N's shouldn't be washed with the same frequency that a foam filter is.

Desdak, a pre-filter does help with filtration on a K&N.

I agree with BadRap, if you're primarily a duner or a racer of any kind go with the K&N. But for the vast majority of rec riders foam just makes more sense.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been running K&N's on all my machines for years in the sand with no issues. As for a prefilter, I've been using used pantyhose(I have two little girls and a wife - so I get a lot of them). They work great! I just pitch them after they get a dirty. Which is usually after one or two rides. Keeps my K&N filters looking good(I only have to clean them about 2-3 times a year) and my intake boots are spotless. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Used to have pantyhose in the toolbox, got a lot of questions from non-riders about those... ;)

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Used to have pantyhose in the toolbox, got a lot of questions from non-riders about those... ;)

LOL, I bet those ones were the fish net ones.. NOT used for prefilter lol :lol:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
K&N with prefilter :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts