Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pro Design Kit w/K&N Filter - Installation/Review - "Make your 700r breathe"

This will show you how to install your Pro Design Intake System.

Tools needed:

3/8" Ratchet

6" 3/8's extension

3/8's Swivel

10mm & 7/16 sockets

# 2 Phillips Screwdriver

Power Drill w/no bigger than a 7/32" drill bit.

As always work in a safe work environment with plenty of room.

Remove the seat.

Disconnect the positive lead on the battery.

Remove the air box lid, and set it aside in a safe place.

Using your 3/8's swivel extension socket set with the 10mm, remove the 2 bolts, there is one on each side of the air box holding it in place.

Loosen up the screw, on the OEM duct leading to the airbox, so you can later slide out the airbox.

Using the 10mm again, remove and set aside the above.

Now your ready to remove the airbox, gently pulling up on the module, just pull up and set it aside as you pull off the airbox. Make sure you gently disconnect the 2 hoses on the intake side of the airbox.

As you will still have the OEM air filter, remove it and on the intake side make sure you do not use a drill bit bigger than 7/32" when you are drilling out the rivets of the very restrictive cone shaped piece.
Make sure that when you are done drilling out the four rivets, that you fully clean out any plastic or metal shavings on or in the airbox, wouldn't want that stuff to get into your motor.

Heres a few shots of where you should be at:

These are the misc. items that you should have set aside.

Some shots of the airbox:

Airbox removed from the 700r:

Module safely and gently set aside in the airbox compartment:

Intake hoses:

Differences between the Pro Flow kit and K & N kit:

Yes, the K and N system will fit inside of the Pro Flow billet piece:

K and N air filter for K & N system (on left) & Pro Flow K &N (on right):

Pro Flow K & N (on left) & K & N air filter for K & N system (on right):

Thread the bolts into the Pro Design billet piece and (do not forget the rubber O-Ring that goes on the billet piece) then put it into the airbox, make sure the arrow is pointing up:

Then put the washers and nuts and tighten.

When you put everything back together, do not forgot to plug both intake hoses into the airbox. Then slide the module back onto the airbox. Tighten all bolts back.

Your new setup:

If you have a EFI tuning system, ie, Doebeck or DynoJet Power Commander, make sure that you compensate and adjust accordingly.

Re-attach the positive lead on the battery and put the seat back on and your done. Now go for a ride and enjoy.

This is one of the biggest intake systems out there. By allowing the 700r to breath better, there is a very noticable increase in power. If you have a quiet exhaust system, you will love the intake growl of this system.

Since you have more air going into the motor, make sure that you have EFi box to compensate by giving more fuel since the ratios have changed. Its not a good thing to have your 700r run lean.

Peace.

:thumbsup:

Mr. C

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: Pro Design Kit w/K&N Filter - Installation/Review - "Make your 700r breathe"

hey CaliRaptor700r, thanks alot for your most informative write up on the K&N install.
I should be installing mine this week. you have just helped me out alot by posting the how to..

Thanks alot man :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Pro Design Kit w/K&N Filter - Installation/Review - "Make your 700r breathe"

CALIRAPTOR WHAT KIND OF PIPE DO U HAVE

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

damonzx12r said:
CALIRAPTOR WHAT KIND OF PIPE DO U HAVE
Currently on my 700r I am using the CT Racing full exhaust system.

Mr. C

·
Registered
468 Posts

Once again I have a question/suggestion. When you are dyno testing these exhausts could you include A/F ratio's from the pipes? I have a sneaking suspicion that the stock pipe flows just fine with the sparky removed.

Craig,

·
Registered
30 Posts

WHERE CAN U BUY THAT PIPE FROM AND APPROX HOW MUCH

·
Registered
200 Posts

I didn't know K&N even had there own intake system. It looks kind of chimpsy compared to the Pro Flow system....... :grin_nod:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

damonzx12r said:
WHERE CAN U BUY THAT PIPE FROM AND APPROX HOW MUCH
Go here for the pipe & ordering info:

http://ctracing.com/raptor_700.htm

Ask for Allen and tell him that Carlos from Raptorforum.com sent you. He will take care of you.

Mr. C

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts

Excellent writeup Cali, thank you. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

MaxxRPM said:
I didn't know K&N even had there own intake system. It looks kind of chimpsy compared to the Pro Flow system....... :grin_nod:
Each intake system has its own pros and cons. I believe the K and N system is for a less modified system, ie w/out the Power Commander and Exhaust, where you would want to have a filter where you can service, instead of buying a new one each time and still allow your quad to breathe better. Each of the systems out there do there own thing, just because a filter is bigger and billtet intake is bigger as well, does it mean that it is the best out there or will have the best results. From what the tech at K and N told me, theres has the better torque curve, but I am just going off of what he said. Just a little information for you guys.

Here's the K and N link for there product:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=YA-7006

Peace.
Mr. C

·
Registered
30 Posts

hey mr.c is that a different seat, or do u have a seat cover on it?? where did u get that, it looks different. Also whats the best way to get those warning labels off like you did??

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Raptormann700 said:
hey mr.c is that a different seat, or do u have a seat cover on it?? where did u get that, it looks different. Also whats the best way to get those warning labels off like you did??
Compared to the white and blue Raptors the seat is different, but it is an OEM Yamaha seat, its diffrent because I have the 50th SE, thats what the quad came with, not a seat cover. I tried the drilling method, but I found out that its actually easier to get some pliers and snip off the back of the rivet. On some of the stubborn ones, it was like a combo move, drill and snip, see ya rivet.

;)

Thanks,
Mr. C

·
Registered
102 Posts

Hey Cali nice write up.

After reading your first write-up, it might just be becuase I haven't worked much on my Raptor yet so I'm not familiar with where is everything but I had some difficulty picturing where some of the arrows were pointing, it's like the photo was taken with too much zoom. However, regardless of my opinion about said photos, this write-up, including photos is excellant. Thank you.

Erik

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Rapt7ooR said:
Hey Cali nice write up.

After reading your first write-up, it might just be becuase I haven't worked much on my Raptor yet so I'm not familiar with where is everything but I had some difficulty picturing where some of the arrows were pointing, it's like the photo was taken with too much zoom. However, regardless of my opinion about said photos, this write-up, including photos is excellant. Thank you.

Erik
Thanks, but yeah, after you familiarize yourself with the machine, you'll be just fine.

Mr. C

·
Registered
2 Posts

Cali, good write up on the installation. It makes jobs such as this one possible for guys like me.(litte mech. experience). I do have a question regarding the exhaust. I am new to the raptor forums and I am trying to read as much as I can to become familiar with all the different aftermarket mods, but my question is, does the ct exhaust sound good? I know far as performance wise most exhaust systems perform pretty well. I do want a system that sounds good, you know, it has that good roar to it. Another question, from your experience, would you personally prefer the ct over the HMF with the pro-flow intake and PGIII setup. Again I am not asking which pipe has more horsepower, but I am just trying to get some worthy advice from experienced raptor owners, thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

joshuabrewer said:
Cali, good write up on the installation. It makes jobs such as this one possible for guys like me.(litte mech. experience). I do have a question regarding the exhaust. I am new to the raptor forums and I am trying to read as much as I can to become familiar with all the different aftermarket mods, but my question is, does the ct exhaust sound good? I know far as performance wise most exhaust systems perform pretty well. I do want a system that sounds good, you know, it has that good roar to it. Another question, from your experience, would you personally prefer the ct over the HMF with the pro-flow intake and PGIII setup. Again I am not asking which pipe has more horsepower, but I am just trying to get some worthy advice from experienced raptor owners, thanks.
PM me and we can discuss your questions.

Thanks,
Mr. C

·
Registered
610 Posts

I just ordered one of thse kits and have a question:
Why do you disconnect the positive lead on the battery? Is it a safety precaution (for the quad) to prevent you from shorting something out?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

pacanis said:
I just ordered one of thse kits and have a question:
Why do you disconnect the positive lead on the battery? Is it a safety precaution (for the quad) to prevent you from shorting something out?

Thats pretty much it. Might as well as get into the habit of doing that, every time you do a mod like this one, besides that, its to reset the Fuel Injection system, so it will adjust or should I say mildy compensate for the change, so it will reset itself and work properly. (Kinda like having really long hair, and going to a friends house, getting drunk, and passing out and when you come to, you goto the bathroom, look in the mirror and scare the bejesus out of yourself becuase now you have no hair since you buddy shaved it all of, kinda like that if you do not disconnect the battery for a bit. Whereas if you do disconnect the battery, its like you went and got a haircut intentionally and you knew what to expect, re-calibrate your self for your new looks). Kind of cheesy, but I hope you get the point or comparison. (At least this is what I have been told by others, to remove the battery lead so your EFI will reset itself.)

Don't worry about the hair comparison, it never ever happened to me, just using it as a reference.

Peace.
Mr. C

·
Registered
610 Posts

You had me at "mildly compensate for the change".
:grin_nod:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts