Raptor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Pro Design Kit w/K&N Filter - Installation/Review - "Make your 700r breathe"

pacanis said:
You had me at "mildly compensate for the change".
:grin_nod:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
He had me at hello... :p :lol:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: Pro Design Kit w/K&N Filter - Installation/Review - "Make your 700r breathe"

LNS said:
pacanis said:
You had me at "mildly compensate for the change".
:grin_nod:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:
He had me at hello... :p :lol:
Thats funny!!!

:-* :brick: :clap: :nana: :wootwoot: :p :lol: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
610 Posts

Got a question.

I have this exact same kit. I ordered it from RM ATV. They suggested a "recharge kit" for when the filter gets dirty. It's pretty dang clean still, but I was looking at the recharge kit this morning and saw it had filter oil in it. I only thought you oiled foam filters.... At about the same time I pictured my white filter compared to the red one in these pics. I went back over this post and didn't see anything about oiling the filter nor did it say on the instructions that came with it.

Do I need to? Do you only oil it after a cleaning?

Thanks for any answers. Better to ask late than never.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

pacanis said:
Got a question.

I have this exact same kit. I ordered it from RM ATV. They suggested a "recharge kit" for when the filter gets dirty. It's pretty dang clean still, but I was looking at the recharge kit this morning and saw it had filter oil in it. I only thought you oiled foam filters.... At about the same time I pictured my white filter compared to the red one in these pics. I went back over this post and didn't see anything about oiling the filter nor did it say on the instructions that came with it.

Do I need to? Do you only oil it after a cleaning?

Thanks for any answers. Better to ask late than never.
On the new installation the Pro Flow kit, comes with a pre-oiled filter, it looks red in color and its ready to go.

Keep in mind that this post is intended for the new installation only and for cleaning of the K and N filter, use there instructions to clean it when it needs it. But I will try to give a short and sweet answer and please confirm with the K and N instructions that come with the re-charge kit on exactly on how to clean your K and N filter.

When your filter gets dirty it will go from a nice red to a dirty reddish almost like a red brown if you will. At that point you have to pull it off and clean it, first by gently tapping any bigger pieces of debree/dirt that might be in there, and then with the cleaning agent they provide spray it on and let it soak in for I believe for 10 minutes, then gently wash it with a nice gentle stream of water from the clean side to the outside, you do not want to do it from the dirt side to the clean side since that reduces the life of the filter kinda like rubbing dirt into a stain, if you will. Then gently shake the filter and get most of the water out and then let it dry entirely on its own, ie in the sun, not a blow dryer!!! Then with the K and N oil spray, since now the filter is cleaned out, the filter will look whitish in color, then spray on the filter oil and do not overdue it, and then reapply any white areas with the oil, and then let it dry. Afterwards gently pat off with a paper towel the excess oil that might of not penetrated the element or is around the rubber area. Then re-insert and enjoy.

The K and N come wrapped up in a K and N plastic and is already pre-oiled and ready to go. If yours is not, I do not know what to tell ya. I've always bought K and N filters and they have always come ready to go. If the filter is white, then it is not oiled, and I can not honestly tell you why, you'll have to ask and confirm with RM ATV what the deal is and what exctly you should do. And yes, you only oil this filter after you clean it.

Just double check the instructions in the K and N re-charge kit to confirm that I have the directions correctly, since I am doing this just from experience and besides its 0516 in the morning.

Gotta go, its almost off-duty time for me.

Peace.
Mr. C

·
Registered
610 Posts

Thanks for the answer Cali :) I was going to say, boy you're up early, but it looks like you work night shift.

It was/is paper white and bone dry (no oil film), so I'm going to call RM when they open and maybe K&N too if I don't find out why it came that way. Maybe K&N is shipping them that way now or mine was a "Friday filter".

·
Registered
15 Posts

I just bought (have not installed yet) a Dubach Racing Pipe. Dubach says "You do not need to purchase an EFI we ran it stock." I have 3 questions. 1. Is this good advice? 2. If I add the Pro Design kit w/K&N Filter should I also run the EFI?

I bought this pipe because it was one of two pipes that received an "A" in the ATV Rider shoot out article. http://www.atvrideronline.com/features/100_0603_2006_yamaha_raptor_700r_atv_exhaust_pipes/

3. According to the write up in the shoot out they messed with the airbox lid, if the engine is now getting more air and running leaner, shouldn't you use an EFI? Thanks in advance for any tips that you might offer.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

oldguy said:
I just bought (have not installed yet) a Dubach Racing Pipe. Dubach says "You do not need to purchase an EFI we ran it stock." I have 3 questions. 1. Is this good advice? 2. If I add the Pro Design kit w/K&N Filter should I also run the EFI?

I bought this pipe because it was one of two pipes that received an "A" in the ATV Rider shoot out article. http://www.atvrideronline.com/features/100_0603_2006_yamaha_raptor_700r_atv_exhaust_pipes/

3. According to the write up in the shoot out they messed with the airbox lid, if the engine is now getting more air and running leaner, shouldn't you use an EFI? Thanks in advance for any tips that you might offer.
Yes, you can run the system w/out the EFI, but whose really to say that it will not run lean and damage the motor. If you want to play it safe, just get the EFI and you will not have any worries, and yes especially if you add more air to the mix, you will for sure need the EFI. But thats up to you as to when exactly you should add the EFI. I would say that you would be safe with the exhaust w/out the EFI, but when you add the Pro Flow, you will for sure need the EFI.

There were other systems that did better on there tests, but they failed for sound. So as long as you know what the truth is and the article shows it, you'll know exactly what your getting.

Peace.
Mr. C

·
Registered
53 Posts

Great write up thank you.....
but what is better and is there a big difference between the GYT-R high flow air filter and the PRO FLOW filter... :3question:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

good write up cali, I'm finally going to put a pro flow kit on mine I'm been running a home made kit using a banshee filter some stainless plate and pipe and a little tig welding that I made about a day after I bought my rappy because no one had come out with anything for it yet. I bought my rappy before even yamaha had even started advertising a gytr line. So I've been slowly replacing things I've bought and done that where purchad from usually the first companys to make anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts

thanks for the write up :thumbsup: Made my install VERY easy

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

Rapt7ooR said:
Hey Cali nice write up.

After reading your first write-up, it might just be becuase I haven't worked much on my Raptor yet so I'm not familiar with where is everything but I had some difficulty picturing where some of the arrows were pointing, it's like the photo was taken with too much zoom. However, regardless of my opinion about said photos, this write-up, including photos is excellant. Thank you.

Erik
Wow! that was a breeze! Just did my GYT-R intake and filter install. Took a total of 26 minutes from start to finish. Didn't need the write up, but sure am thankful we have the assistance if we do need it.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Too bad most companies dont have instructions this good. I like the comparisons too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey CaliRaptor700r, thanks alot for your job ;)
Can you till me from wich site you purchase Pro Flow K & N and Pro Flow kit ( that you instal it ) .
thanks alotsss

·
Registered
52 Posts
whats better that kit and keeping the stock box or the aluminum air box with the knn. i mean with the aluminum air box the intake hole is 4 inches big! did anyone notice a performance gain with this installed?

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey nice write up !! i want to get this proflow kit for my 700R but i have trouble finding a map for it !!....i have PCIII with hmf slip-on ...everything else is stock ... i now want to add air filter mod like the pro design you have ... do you know where i can get a map for it ? any help will be appreciated

thx!
vern

21 - 36 of 36 Posts