Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to step up to a Raptor from a Banshee, because of the ease of maintenance and reliability. So, many times I hear of my friends and other people that ride and park. They never have problems from their quads. However each 4-wheeler, I own comes with the worry of: "whats gonna break after this ride, and how long is it gonna take to fix it, an how much will it cost." I'm tired of having to pay or work on my quads. I have to do more maintenance than I get to ride. Its exhausting. I don't care if its the fastest thing at the dunes, I just want it too work.

Well, after finally getting my clutches to work, (im on my third set of clutches), Im having leaking oil issues. The problem area is in between the Water Pump Housing and the Clutch cover. (Please refer to the Raptor Service manual, under Water Pump, in Chapter 5 Cooling system.) It would labeled as part number 11.

I have checked, and rechecked the O-ring that is seated on the Water pump housing. I found no tears, no breaks. Nothing out of the ordinary that would indicate that it needs to thrown away and replaced. I have disassembled the impeller, and its components, I found no cracks or anything that looks in need of replacing. The exact area of the leak is on the bolt that is parallel to the drain bolt. Its leaking oil, so its on the oil side of the Pump, not the coolant side.

I have used some blue silicone to attempt to seal up the gap or hole... however, it made it leak faster.

Any help would be appreciated. I would really love to keep this four-wheeler, but that's why I got rid of my Banshee. Too many problems. I really don't want to get rid of this one too.

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Take it all back apart and make sure the surfaces are very clean and free of any old gasket. get a new gasket, o-ring and a tube of Yamabond apply the Yamabond to both sides of the gasket and put it together while it's still tackey. You should be good to go after that!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the side of the water pump that im talking about has no gasket. It has a O-ring tho. My new theory as to why im getting leaking is because of the o-ring.

When pulling the pump from its resting spot. The O-ring is seated on a lip. I believe its supposed to go there. However, is it supposed to go down unto the second lip? Basically at the base of the pump housing that mates to the surface of the cover.

I figure I woulnt have known because when pullinig the pump off, The oring could have slide forward as I pulled it off. Hopefully this makes sense. Any tips.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Your going to have to pull it apart once more. While you have it apart take a couple pics and show us before reinstalling it. I'm pretty sure your exactly right and that the oring goes on the inner groove but show us pics first ok!
Oh and your rappy will have a lot less problems than a banshee hahaha! Everbody knows that lol

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
On the side of the water pump that im talking about has no gasket. It has a O-ring tho. My new theory as to why im getting leaking is because of the o-ring.

When pulling the pump from its resting spot. The O-ring is seated on a lip. I believe its supposed to go there. However, is it supposed to go down unto the second lip? Basically at the base of the pump housing that mates to the surface of the cover.

I figure I woulnt have known because when pullinig the pump off, The oring could have slide forward as I pulled it off. Hopefully this makes sense. Any tips.
Lube the o-ring a little before you install it so it won't roll when you push it on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried to put pictures up, however, it didn't work out as planned. So, I tried again, this time with more silicone, and tighten most of my bolts up evn more. So far, no more leaks. I even waited till the oil was hot enough for the fan to kick on and still no leaks. So, I think what ill do is fill up a little more oil and call it good.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Looks like what I'm dealing with now..haha

I figure I woulnt have known because when pullinig the pump off, The oring could have slide forward as I pulled it off. Hopefully this makes sense. Any tips. I thought the same thing

·
Registered
413 Posts
Finally got some pictures for reference, it took 9 years!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,748 Posts
The "O" ring goes in the groove. And lube it with petroleum jelly (vaseline)

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 9 of 9 Posts