Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my 660 has been developing a slight problem. When I first got it, it only did it going in to reverse and sometimes it wouldn't catch. But lately it's been starting to do it more and more downshifting into first from second. It makes a clunk sort of like N to 1st, but then it makes this strange ratchety sound and doesn't engage. Sometimes it stays in second, sometimes it catches neutral. It's getting to be a pain because I was carrying some momentum earlier and went to downshift for a little engine braking and it caught neutral and I almost didn't get it stopped. Could it possibly be my oil? I picked up an oil change for it and am going to try switching from Valvoline 10w40 to Rotella T. Or do you guys think I am facing a bigger problem?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I always use Yamalube 10w30... does the oil your currently using say something about wet clutch system? i had this problem when i was using Maxima full synthetic not for wet clutches but now with the yamalube it only does it sometimes for reverse...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Valvoline in it now is for motorcycles and is wet clutch approved. It does do sort of a grinding sound but its a repetitive constant ratchety sound when ever you push down on the shifter. I'll try tightening the cable and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestions. I notice it tends to do it more as the oil sort of wears out or breaks down and mostly when the quad has been running and ridden for a while. I'm going to change my oil tomorrow or Tuesday and also see if that effects it

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am leaning towards a bent fork, not allowing fully engagement of 1st gear, OR possible damage to engagement dogs from first gear............

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could be right Willy, all the problems are centered around first gear, either entering it from second or going into reverse. It shifts like a dream through every other gear. And almost 95% of the time I have to sort of feather the clutch to either get reverse to catch from first or vice versa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts