Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well i bought this bike all stock a month ago. It's a 2007 raptor 700 SE. there was nothing wrong with it. It ran great but i was looking for more power. so out came the stock 700 motor and it was sold to a member here. so i picked up a 07 R1 motor kit with 6500 miles on it and now the project has started.

07 raptor 700 frame
07 yamaha R1000 motor kit

heres some picture of the progress picture from tonight. i just started cutting the frame tonight to get the motor to fit. i will be building a table and jig to hold the frame and motor this upcoming weekend. let the fun begin.

i want to keep this beast looking stock a possible and just enjoy it when it's all complete.

heres the bike the day i picked it up.

here it is getting ripped down.

bare frame. waiting for parts to show up.

i got the motor into the stock uncut frame but that just wasn't gonna fly. it sit's way to high in the frame.

so we cut the frame tonight and got the motor to fit nice. now i'm waiting to start bending the lower frame rail's to get it all mocked up and back together.

plenty of room for some mini air filter's

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did u cut the oil pan or is that table cut so the pan can sit down below the table while working on the bike? Looks good hVe fun on the swingRm work.

R u gonna keep it all stock in the back?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did u cut the oil pan or is that table cut so the pan can sit down below the table while working on the bike? Looks good hVe fun on the swingRm work.

R u gonna keep it all stock in the back?
Nope didn't cut the table or oil pan. thats just how the oil pan's are. they are just low. I ordered a +8 swing arm should be here this week. it's slow going right now just waiting for parts to show up.

What do you mean have fun with the swing arm work?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up a tubing bender yesterday so i can finish the frame. I'm about to make another big parts order so after everything show's up the build will start moving a lot faster.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nope didn't cut the table or oil pan. thats just how the oil pan's are. they are just low. I ordered a +8 swing arm should be here this week. it's slow going right now just waiting for parts to show up.

What do you mean have fun with the swing arm work?
Just that u will have to work to get the front and rear sprockets lined up. I recommend Don't weld ur motormounts in place and bolt the motor up until u get the rear swinger in and have the rear sprocket on. Otherwise u may and up having to
Break welds and reposition the motor. They have to line up or it will eat ur sprocket and chain alive. Most pe0ple use a yard stick or laser to line them up

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just that u will have to work to get the front and rear sprockets lined up. I recommend Don't weld ur motormounts in place and bolt the motor up until u get the rear swinger in and have the rear sprocket on. Otherwise u may and up having to
Break welds and reposition the motor. They have to line up or it will eat ur sprocket and chain alive. Most pe0ple use a yard stick or laser to line them up
Ok thanks. yeah i knew i had to get them lined up. i'm was just hoping the new swing arm would show up last week. so i could get everything lined up. but i went ahead a put the stocker back on today to get the sprockets inline.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok thanks. yeah i knew i had to get them lined up. i'm was just hoping the new swing arm would show up last week. so i could get everything lined up. but i went ahead a put the stocker back on today to get the sprockets inline.
I did the same thing too, it doesn't matter if you swing arm is stock length or +10 it's still spaced the same from the axle so you can get your motor set and motor mounts made without having your new swing arm made and put on... save some time while you are waiting for it to be built

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the same thing too, it doesn't matter if you swing arm is stock length or +10 it's still spaced the same from the axle so you can get your motor set and motor mounts made without having your new swing arm made and put on... save some time while you are waiting for it to be built
yep. i pretty much finished ordering all the part's i'm going to need. it should look like christmas at the end of this week. so after everything show's up it should start to go together pretty quick. we should get all the lower frame welded up tomorrow night. then its motor mount time. i really just enjoy mocking up stuff.

·
Registered
78 Posts
for me deciding how I was going to modify the frame and re brace things was the most difficult, I wanted to make sure everything was done the best way I could do it and not look cheesy.... but once I was able to wrap my head around what I needed to do the fun like you said begin, cutting, grinding and welding.

what size and type of tubing are you using?? are you MIG or TIG welding it??

What are you doing for the rear shock?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for me deciding how I was going to modify the frame and re brace things was the most difficult, I wanted to make sure everything was done the best way I could do it and not look cheesy.... but once I was able to wrap my head around what I needed to do the fun like you said begin, cutting, grinding and welding.

what size and type of tubing are you using?? are you MIG or TIG welding it??

What are you doing for the rear shock?
Um we will be tig welding everything.
im not sure on the shock yet. i'm waiting to get the bike on the ground so i can measure how low it will be. if i have enough room i will be using the KW spring kit. you can only get the spring kit from the UK. i have already talked to the rep of KW suspension over there and he just said let him know when i'm ready for them and he will ship them over.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we have been hard at it the last two night. getting as much done as possible with what part's i have. still waiting for stuff to show up. but we did make some good progress.

Last night we started bending some of the lower frame up to get an idea of what its going to look like. Keep in mind we have never built anything like this and we are building it how we want it. there are main different build threads on the net for stuff like this. but we did things kinda different like every other build. i really want to keep this bike looking as stock as possible. not cutting the plastic's. if i could have built this bike without cutting the frame it would have been great. but as we know this motor doesn't fit without some modification. i really wanted to keep the lower frame as close to the motor as possible.

so here is some pic's of what we got done last night. everything was just tacked until we found out where we wanted everything.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres some pic's of the what we got done tonight. all the fabbing on the frame is mostly done beside's we are going to add a upper support to tie in the top of the frame with the top of the motor.

But at this point I will get all the suspension put back on the frame and get it on the ground as a roller. then the frame will get its final welding.

heres how its still as of right now.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I love how it looks stock. Compared to some hybrids with giant supports everywhere. Looks like a really clean build.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what kind of a bender did you use?
It's just one of the cheap benders that have the 2 rollers on it and then the big bottle jack in the middle. My buddy ordered a really nice bender 2 weeks ago but it hasn't showed up yet so we figured we would give this one a try. it did a decent job for what it is. :D no big budget build here. but i'm not cutting corners either. trying to make the frame as strong as we can. :eek:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love how it looks stock. Compared to some hybrids with giant supports everywhere. Looks like a really clean build.
Thanks were tryin to keep it clean but also strong at the same time. we have never built anything like this so it's all new to us. quite fun really. :D i could have bought a bike already built but what's the fun in that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's just one of the cheap benders that have the 2 rollers on it and then the big bottle jack in the middle. My buddy ordered a really nice bender 2 weeks ago but it hasn't showed up yet so we figured we would give this one a try. it did a decent job for what it is. :D no big budget build here. but i'm not cutting corners either. trying to make the frame as strong as we can. :eek:
I hear ya, I wish I could shell out 300-400 for a nice bender but a $100 or so harbor freight one sounds pretty tempting

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear ya, I wish I could shell out 300-400 for a nice bender but a $100 or so harbor freight one sounds pretty tempting
Yeah it might work pretty decent. I was really surprised how well our bends turned out with this bender we used. It wasn't a high dollar one. If I was closer to you id let you use this one. This was the first time I had ever used a bender they work pretty slick. Ill probably buy a really nice one after the R1 project is over.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Are you going to leave the stock graphics on there? I was wondering... What if you could have some custom graphics made that look like stock Yamaha graphics but say Raptor 1000r? Just a crazy thought I came up with...

1 - 20 of 154 Posts