Raptor Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Radiator and cooling

Hi, Awesome quad by the way i have just read the thread from start to finish but we have met before on the R1 forum anyway.

I wanted to ask about the cooling system, as i noticed that you are using the standard radiator.

You also mentioned that you blanked off the oil cooler pipe.

I have a few questions that maybe you could answer.

I use mine for prolonged road use and feel that the cooling system isnt quite up to the job.... its not too bad now but i think in the summer it might be a problem, i have a large core radiator but it was a cheap chinese thing so not too sure if its better or not really.

1. How does the standard Rad cope?
2. Regards the oil cooler pipe, I made a "Tee" piece for mine and tapped into the top hose but i dont like the way i've done it and would like to remove it if possible. Did you just cap it on the outlet or did you cap the inlet too?

Any info would be great

Thanks
Bart

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Hi, Awesome quad by the way i have just read the thread from start to finish but we have met before on the R1 forum anyway.

I wanted to ask about the cooling system, as i noticed that you are using the standard radiator.

You also mentioned that you blanked off the oil cooler pipe.

I have a few questions that maybe you could answer.

I use mine for prolonged road use and feel that the cooling system isnt quite up to the job.... its not too bad now but i think in the summer it might be a problem, i have a large core radiator but it was a cheap chinese thing so not too sure if its better or not really.

1. How does the standard Rad cope?
2. Regards the oil cooler pipe, I made a "Tee" piece for mine and tapped into the top hose but i dont like the way i've done it and would like to remove it if possible. Did you just cap it on the outlet or did you cap the inlet too?

Any info would be great

Thanks
Bart
As long as Im moving the bike would stay cool but as soon as I would slow down and come to a stop for a long period of time it will over heat.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Was that a copyou passed in the video?

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts
Just read this whole thread. Great Work!

I really want to do this one day. Except with an R6 engine. Will definitely use this thread as reference.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
It was a fun build. I will do another one at some point again. I really just like to build stuff. after I'm done with project's I normally get bored of them quick and its on to the next one. this was a blast to ride. if you like a lot of rpms build a street bike quad. 600cc bike motors have the most RPM. just a little down on power. Been looking into possibly doing another one but with a ZX1400cc motor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Great build. Well done!

·
Registered
319 Posts
just read this for about the 9th time now and can i say what a great job you have done, looks great:cool:, just a quick question though, how do you find the gearing for the road. im building a 660 with a gsxr 1000 engine in it, (its a slow build) and need to order the sprockets soon. i not going for the land speed record, but want it to fly from the off.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as Im moving the bike would stay cool but as soon as I would slow down and come to a stop for a long period of time it will over heat.
Mines the opposite. We just got back from a week at St Anthonys, it was high 80's and mine would run around 180 most of the time, I saw 200 a couple of times. When I would stop though, it would instantly start to cool down. I have the stock 03 R1 rad in mine though with a big fan. It was my first time on an R1 Raptor. Absolutely awesome machine, I won't be riding my Kawi v-force much anymore, it's like :banghead: compared to the R1. :D
Just want to say you did a very nice build there!! Props to you! :clap:

141 - 154 of 154 Posts