Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Pros

Won't bend every time the bike thinks about rolling over
Anti-vibe clamps are more comfortable
Looks better than stock
Higher mounting position means that lower/wider bend bars will clear gas tank

Cons
If the stem doesn't bend then either the frame or pittman arm and tie-rods/ends are next
Anti vibe clamps typically can't be used with OEM or OEM-compatible dashes/key mounts

And the "it depends" category

Even if you order a "stock length" stem the actual handlebar mount will still be 3/4 to 1 1/4 inches higher than stock
Costs 200-400 dollars to replace something that does a pretty good job when stock
Many people can't tell a difference with an anti-vibe clamp VS OEM style

I bought a burgard stem once, as I'd been through 3 OEM ones already at 100 bucks a pop. Got it out, put it on, and absolutely hated the way my bars sat on it. They were too close to me and felt as though they were in my lap. I have rather low bend bars to begin with so I didn't like them being that close. It's not just that the clamp makes the stem taller, it's that the extra length is on an angle and therefore goes up AND towards the rider. Not my cup of tea but I know that there are plenty of people who are very happy with them. I had a friend in a machine shop use the OEM ends and throw a tube of chromoly in the middle, never had a problem since and I've tested a couple of times.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.