Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i know that a lot of you say use a milk crate. Where the heck can i get one of these things? I know walmart has them but dang those are cheap and flimsy. I need on to use for working on my quad. I need something sturdy enough for me to beat out my rear axle and put the new one in. any ideas?? Or anyone have one to sell??

·
Registered
481 Posts
I use crates, Swapped out axles, Swingarms, motor rebuild etc wheels regularly and never had a problem.. :) cheap an easy...

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
I would just invest in a proper ATV jack. They are pretty reasonably priced and are invalueable to have if you work on your own machine. I work on my three quads and my friends quads all the time and that's why I have two ATV jacks.:D

You will find yourself using it a lot for other purposes around the shop too.I used mine to help lower the fuel tank in my Camaro when I installed the lowering springs and it worked like a charm.:)

I remember the days of using jack stands and floor jacks and ever since they designed these new ATV jacks, I have had one in my garage.

The ones I have are similar to this design with a hydraulic foot pump and this one sells for $99. They have similar models with an air operated hydraulic lift for $139.

·
Registered
415 Posts
those are pretty sweet. i usually just use some bricks or something of that nature. :lol: but it is a pita to lift them up on to anything with any kind of height. that is one thing that does not work from dirt bike mechanics, to quad mechanics. :lol:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just invest in a proper ATV jack. They are pretty reasonably priced and are invalueable to have if you work on your own machine. I work on my three quads and my friends quads all the time and that's why I have two ATV jacks.:D

You will find yourself using it a lot for other purposes around the shop too.I used mine to help lower the fuel tank in my Camaro when I installed the lowering springs and it worked like a charm.:)

I remember the days of using jack stands and floor jacks and ever since they designed these new ATV jacks, I have had one in my garage.

The ones I have are similar to this design with a hydraulic foot pump and this one sells for $99. They have similar models with an air operated hydraulic lift for $139.

On any other day I would completely agree with you. However I have spent way to much money on this damn thingthus far and now I have to buy a new axle cause mine is bent. I am trying to find the cheapest method possible to get this going. Just today I bought a $48 floor jack adapter from auto zone. Got it home put my quad up and then went to take the back wheel off and the dang thing almost fell off the jack. Plus another $200 + for the axle and... I could keep going my point is I just don't have the funds to keep doing this. I looked at the ATv lift at harbor freight and it looked like a piece of crap. We even played with the floor model and the damn thing would function right so we bout a floor jack and a set of jack stand and spent over $100 there so.....

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
I have had this one for at least 15 years and it gets used alot. I use it with those big 850lb Polaris Sportsman's too and it still works flawlessly.

This is how my quad sits now on that 15 year old jack. I am having the swingarm PC'ed gloss black to match the a arms.

I'm sure you can find them for under $100 too and they would be much better and definitely more stable than that $48 jack adaptor you bought.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
i am also looking for something to raise my bike up but i want something quite a bit higher than a jack... ive been trying to get creative in thinking of one but im blank. perhaps some beer would help :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Do you have anything in your garage ceiling that you could hang it from? A couple of ratchet straps hanging from your garage door brackets would work great, don't get much cheaper than that!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have anything in your garage ceiling that you could hang it from? A couple of ratchet straps hanging from your garage door brackets would work great, don't get much cheaper than that!
Really? That will hold? Where do I attach the straps to my bike?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
Really? That will hold? Where do I attach the straps to my bike?
Pretty much anywhere that won't slip off, grab bar, foot pegs, handle bars, etc. just make sure that whatever you attach it to in the ceiling is strong enough you should be able to pull on it and see if it's gona hold.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
thats another good idea. if i were to suspend it from the bumper and grab bar would it put too much stress on the sub frame?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
i don't think hangin it from the bumper or grab bar would cause any problems. as long as your not jumping up and down on it.

on a side note, leave it to FLgyver. you have got to be the most creative guy in the world man. your are always comin up with some kind of idea to make things easier, make things work better, or ways around not having the best equipment in the shop. you are the man. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts