Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Brooklyn Raptor.
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old battery died, I bought a dvolt replacement battery. Quad still clicks at relay and main switch i jump it from a car and it starts runs and all.. i rode around the block a few times came back shut it off.....Then again clicks with no start smh what could it be?!

·
Registered
64 Posts
All your connections to the battery good? No corrosion any where?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
hows the stator? Thats what would send voltage back to the battery to charge it. Did the old batter have the same problem?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
He might be better off geting a used one for less

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
For sure! And he also might want to ask in the for sale section. Stupid me its always better to help a bro out on here...Someone might be parting some parts out!

·
Registered
167 Posts
If it doesnt start with a new battery either it is a bad connection at the battery or the new battery is defective. The stator just charges the battery and a new battery should be charged, if it wasnt a quick ride around the block would not be long enough to charge the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Im not sure if it the same way with the quad as a car but if the stator/ alternator is bad your just gonan suck the juice off the battery and it will die. My alternator went inmy truck last month and the voltage started droping off so different things started craping out. Lucky I was able to get it back home, but I wasn't able to get the truck started.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The best way to solve to charging problem with the quad just sitting around is to get a battery tender so the charge is allways good, that way when you go to use the quad you will be all set to.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Stupid question but did you charge the battery? ATV batteries do not come charged up and jump starting it and riding will not charge the battery like it should. You will want to put it on a trickle charger and charge it at about 2amps.

Before replacing the stator check the voltage regulator as well. Also check all your connections at the starter, through the relays, grounds, etc. If you test the stator and find it defective still test the VR, I have seen a bad stator burn up a VR and vise verse. Stators generally do not go bad. All they are are copper wire windings and shaped like a donut. There are magnets on the crank that spin inside the center of the stator to produce the the electricity. The only one I have ever had to replace was burnt up by a faulty VR, it buned the wires coming off of it in two.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Im not sure if it the same way with the quad as a car but if the stator/ alternator is bad your just gonan suck the juice off the battery and it will die. My alternator went inmy truck last month and the voltage started droping off so different things started craping out. Lucky I was able to get it back home, but I wasn't able to get the truck started.
ATV's work the same way. A stator is basically the guts from an alternator and are mounted inside the engine and an alternator generally will have the VR built in. Both output AC voltage and that gets converted by the VR into DC, the regulator also limits the voltage that is being used to charge the battery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts