Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just got a 2001 660 and took it out twice.. ran fine and strong, after the second time.. i let it rest for about an hour and went back out to start er up.. nothing but a winding noise.. i dont know much about this but i'm guessing the starter clutch?? i really dont want to have to spend more money taking it to the dealer so any help would be great.. thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Re: quad wont start

Something like that is typically the starter clutch. If it's a common occurrence and doesn't go away the next time you try to roll the bike over it may be time to replace it.

I've got an L&A in my bike and it spun on me a few times today. I was told it could be the bendix retracting but I'm not versed well enough in starters to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

I've had my L&A for awhile too. It just started to free spin right before I tore into the quad. The starter clutch itself was ok, but you could tell that the 52 tooth gear was a little damaged. You could feel the divets that the roller bearings from the one-way create after a few years of starting the quad up. New gear is on the way. Some wicked clamping force they have.

I don't think our type of starter has a bendix or ballast...which is the reason for the one-way..
bendix type starters are like automotive ones..the gear on the starter is offset from the flywheel, when you start- the shaft and gear from the starter move out to align themselves with the flywheel (gears)and mesh and begins to turn, after the start the gear and shaft retracts to let the fly wheel spin with out the starter being engaged. the starter from the raptor is constantly meshed, but separted from motion due to the one-way.

Ya dude..sounds like your starter-clutch is a gone'r!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts

Thanks RT, hoping my L&A isn't going to crap as well... :unsure:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts

geez,..can't count how many times you gave me advice,..and I finally get to help ya back...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so now that i know its the starter clutch, i ordered a new one.. but i cant wait until it comes to ride.. so i had my friend tow me and push start it.. finally got it going, and warmed it up for a good 20 min no problem.. after i started riding it it kept dying on me.. i dont know why, i know the needle in the carb keeps getting stuck cause the rpms hold at different positions at times.. could that be a reason? and how can i get the needle fixed, will carb cleaner in the gas tank work??

*also, the guy who sold me the quad was playing with the timing but i dont think he knew what he was doing, but the timing sounded ok to me..*

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
seriously dude,..if its broke-don't keep on riding it...be patient, get the bike fixed and when you can start it properly then work on the jetting, timing,..ect. Just looking out for ya,..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got it.. i'll take that advice.. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts