·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a bike make more WHP in 4th gear or 5th gear? whats the difference

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont understand that question , whp ????
but
does a dyno make a noticeable difference compared to just a map off the internet .... and doesnt anyone change their map when using a 15t :3question:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regardless of whether you are in 4th or 5th the power is the same. Torque produced at the wheels is more in 4th gear though, but that comes at the cost of wheel speed.

Power = torque x speed, and power is always constant (dependent on the engine). If you want torque to increase, it'll come at the cost of wheel speed. If you want higher wheel speed, you'll be sacrificing torque. This is precisely what a gearbox is for.

·
Registered
554 Posts
WHP = wheel horse power as compared to crank horse power.

Okay now my dyno question. What is the avg cost to have a quad ran on the dyno? I have heard it is usually 3 runs. Do they allow you time in between to rejet and so on between each run?

·
Registered
54 Posts
your best reading will come with a 1:1 gear ratio. however i cant find the gear ratios for the 700 anywhere online, so i dont know what to tell you.

palerider,

the yamaha shop here charges $80 an hour including tuning, and you can run as many times as it takes. the time is prorated also, if it only takes 30 minutes to get it tuned, you pay 40 bucks and so on...

·
Registered
815 Posts
palerider - i live in missouri.... It costs 35$ for 3 runs on the dyno, and then 2 hours of labor for them to make a custom map... $55 / hour.....So total it comes to about $150 maybe $175 if they put your bike on the dyno more than 3 times.... thats just a rought estimate tho...

Plattner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. My name is Ted and I am new to this site, but love it so far. I run a tuning shop in Maryland so I would like to give my input on this subject. A fourth gear pull will be different than a fifth gear pull. The reason is that the gear ratio is different. Fourth gear lets say will be a .75 to 1 ratio versus fifth gear being 1 to 1. Obviously its easier to turn the lower ratio for the engine resulting in more power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.