Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use in their 700's?? I did some reading and the manual says unleaded, and even ethanol will work in these.. But also my brother has 15 gallons of 110 unocal 76 race gass he is letting me have... Will this make it run much better, or what does everyone think about all this stuff? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
120 Posts
no, race gas is for higher compression motors to stop detonation.
if your motor does not "ping" it wont make any difference in power

·
Registered
429 Posts
You'll actually loose hp with the hi-octane, ya just don't have the compression. The only reason I use super unlead in my raptor is because I have it in bulk for my sledd and dirt bike. Look at the compression on the 450's, they are around 12:00 / 12:5 they run fine on super unlead stock.

·
Registered
494 Posts
87 is all that is needed on a stock bike. If you experience ping\detonation, then it is advisable to go to a higher octane fuel. Using more octane then you need will more than likely cause a drop in power. More octane means the fuel burns slower.

Yes race gas smells great. High octane is appropriate with high compression and forced induction.

I have a turbo setup, so I need higher octane fuel. I started out running F and L leaded 111, but discontinued use, due to it being leaded(didnt want deposits on my valves). I switched to Sunoco GT 100(100 octane UNLEADED). Ran good, except once on the dyno and once up a step hill on a hot day I got some intermitent pinging. I picked up a drum of GT PLUS 104 Sunoco. Im gonna try and burn up whats left tommorow night when its cool, and run the 104 in the heat of the day.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im sure it is probably not needed unless the compression is raised.. I am planning on doing K&N kit. GYTR Exhaust, and a Dynojet for mods.. (nothin much more i dont think)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Be careful with "race gas" some formulations will gum up the fuel system. Some are oxygenated. Highly oxygenated high octane fuels can damage engines that are not built for them.

If you do decide to run it just for the smell which is the ONLY benefit it's going to give you. Consider blending it with pump gas.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Engineer steps into room...

Glamis is spot on. You will lose some amount of efficiency (power and fuel economy) due to the slower burn and resulting reduction in combustion pressure. Try mixing it with 87 and see if you can get the smell you want (I love it as well) without running it straight.

Glamis700 said:
87 is all that is needed on a stock bike. If you experience ping\detonation, then it is advisable to go to a higher octane fuel. Using more octane then you need will more than likely cause a drop in power. More octane means the fuel burns slower.

Yes race gas smells great. High octane is appropriate with high compression and forced induction.

I have a turbo setup, so I need higher octane fuel. I started out running F and L leaded 111, but discontinued use, due to it being leaded(didnt want deposits on my valves). I switched to Sunoco GT 100(100 octane UNLEADED). Ran good, except once on the dyno and once up a step hill on a hot day I got some intermitent pinging. I picked up a drum of GT PLUS 104 Sunoco. Im gonna try and burn up whats left tommorow night when its cool, and run the 104 in the heat of the day.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know This is an old topic but i didnt feel like starting a new thread & before anyone says Anything i already did a search and could not find the answer i was looking for also i don't feel like I'm Hi-jacking cuz my ? is about Gas All i want to know is how long can gas sit in your tank before it go's bad any info will be real helpful

Thank you

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some say at least a few months is what it takes for enough gas to evaporate out, leaving a higher concentration of leftover additives. etc.

Just get a bottle of Sta-Bil and add a bit to your gas, then you won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
pronstar said:
Some say at least a few months is what it takes for enough gas to evaporate out, leaving a higher concentration of leftover additives. etc.

Just get a bottle of Sta-Bil and add a bit to your gas, then you won't have to worry about it.
Thanks on the quick reply i was getting a Little worried cuz i had a tank full of gas now for about 3 & a half weeks with no sta-bil hopefully i can burn it all out this weekend when i take it out

·
Registered
965 Posts
Sniper55 said:
pronstar said:

Thanks on the quick reply i was getting a Little worried cuz i had a tank full of gas now for about 3 & a half weeks with no sta-bil hopefully i can burn it all out this weekend when i take it out
Gas is good for at least a year.  Hell...my old 3-wheeler I had was sitting for almost 2 years before I got it, and she fired right up and ran good. 

Gas is not like Milk... :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.