Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!

what type of gearing would you recomend for cruising comfortablly at 45mph. i already have 15t up front, and run 21-7-10 front tires and 20-11-9 rears

·
Registered
415 Posts
why would you want to cruise comfortably at 45?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i race xc and my next race is 600 miles and most of them are done in straight flats where you cold cruise at 45mph

·
Registered
415 Posts
well how close are you to it now? with a stock rear sprocket you should be pretty close to that as it sits. remember 45 on a quad feels alot slower than anything else. have a buddy do 45 down the road in a car and just pace him. i wouldn't go much higher with your gearing than you are now. if you need to go higher i would drop 1 maybe 2 teeth off the back and just deal with it. if ya go any higher, you will lose all your bottom end.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well how close are you to it now? with a stock rear sprocket you should be pretty close to that as it sits. remember 45 on a quad feels alot slower than anything else. have a buddy do 45 down the road in a car and just pace him. i wouldn't go much higher with your gearing than you are now. if you need to go higher i would drop 1 maybe 2 teeth off the back and just deal with it. if ya go any higher, you will lose all your bottom end.
thats what i figured, but since its such a long race i wanted to double check and not find out in the middle of the race that i should have raced with higher gearing

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
thats what i figured, but since its such a long race i wanted to double check and not find out in the middle of the race that i should have raced with higher gearing
That's weird that you have a 15 tooth for xc:confused: the 15 is usually put on for more top end, i would think for xc you would want the 14 for more bottom to mid punch from corner to corner. And just my two cents but why do 45 when you can do 75:D

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
hi!

what type of gearing would you recomend for cruising comfortablly at 45mph. i already have 15t up front, and run 21-7-10 front tires and 20-11-9 rears
For 45 mph I'd just use stock gearing.... or even drop to a 13t up front... but like others said, why 45 when you can go 75+? Are you racing or enjoying the scenery?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the bike is mostlly stock, XC races here are different from the ones in the USA. imagine 600 miles of trail riding. when you are racing 600 miles, consistency wins the race, so if i go 75mph all the time im going to get tired quickly, so i just pick a pace suited for the entire race and go with it. and 45mph is a good speed where you can sort most obstacles you encounter without getting thrown of the bike and losing time or the race, you also don go throught the fuel so quicklly. consistency is the key for the really long ones.

in my expierence the raptor already had enough power to handle the 15t without any lack of punch.

relevant mods so far are steering stabilizer, fat bars, precision shock an vibe clamps, vision 12" led bar, maxxis razr2 up front and razr in the back, gytr intake full exhaust and pc5.

i burnt my clutch so i am ordering gytr clutch. and to continue my build i am ordering double rate spring for the back shock.

came in 15 place out of 37 competitors. not bad at all

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you keep popping the bead off the tire from running lower psi, alot of people run them for security to keep the bead from popping off from hitting rocks or what not when racing
i hear ya!

happened day one runnign 4psi, so i ran 5.5 psi second day :wow: and problem solved but a very harsh ride. day one i lost some air but the tire never came out entirelly of the wheel. is it common for the tire to come off complettely of the wheel?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
i hear ya!

happened day one runnign 4psi, so i ran 5.5 psi second day :wow: and problem solved but a very harsh ride. day one i lost some air but the tire never came out entirelly of the wheel. is it common for the tire to come off complettely of the wheel?
Not necessarily but it is easy for the bead to pop when running low psi and when the bead pops that releases air and then its just progression of bad stuff after that. You should hit up the desert thread most of those guys race and are very knowledgeable with these kinds of questions as they race desert

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
If ya don't get beadlocks at least get Tireballs with those you can run your tires with no air or get a run flat tire. The Goodyear tracker PT and ST are run flat, I've got a pair on the front of mine. They're a little heavy but a killer tire for XC and desert.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,642 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
tireballs are good, never ran them but all the dirt bike pros hvae been using them or something like it for years. there is something called the johnny tire too. it looks like a big foam innertube i guess. i just saw an add for it in the new atv action and it stuck cause it has my name in it. :lol: if i was racing and actually competing in a series, beadlocks would most definately be installed on whatever i was racing, along with tireballs or a like product, and some beefy skids. don't want a mechanical problem moving you from 1,2,3, in points down to 5,6,7. that would be a bummer and a "if i would have listened to those raptorforum.com guys i could have won the championship!" type of feeling. what if's could occur and you could end up that old drunk on the end of the bar talking about how he almost won, but got a flat and never forgave himself for not listening to the raptorforum.com guys. :rofl::rofl:

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
tireballs are good, never ran them but all the dirt bike pros hvae been using them or something like it for years. there is something called the johnny tire too. it looks like a big foam innertube i guess. i just saw an add for it in the new atv action and it stuck cause it has my name in it. :lol: if i was racing and actually competing in a series, beadlocks would most definately be installed on whatever i was racing, along with tireballs or a like product, and some beefy skids. don't want a mechanical problem moving you from 1,2,3, in points down to 5,6,7. that would be a bummer and a "if i would have listened to those raptorforum.com guys i could have won the championship!" type of feeling. what if's could occur and you could end up that old drunk on the end of the bar talking about how he almost won, but got a flat and never forgave himself for not listening to the raptorforum.com guys. :rofl::rofl:
Guilt trip the guy why don't ya :haha:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts