Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just broke in my new raptor, changed the oil and adjusted the valves. (the engine was a little noisey)

I adjusted them to this as i had found on the internet (the manual doesn't state valve clearence of course :unsure:)

the valve train is pretty noisey now... but it runs fine... before i adjusted them, they were on the tight side of the spec, so i adjusted them on the loose side.

i did ~.11 on the intake and ~.18 on the exahust.

Intake .09-.13mm
Exhaust .16-.20mm
TDC Compression stroke (cold)

·
Registered
988 Posts
I found out last night that the valve specs are listed on the Airbox lid also

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
How long did the adjustment take you? I'm planning on doing mine for the first time but am wondering how involved it is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it took about an hour the first time because i had to figure out how the plastic came off.

they were too noisey for me, so i adjusted them again last night to the tight side of the spec (i dont mind adjusting them often) and they are quiet now.

it took me about 30mins. i used the starter to put the engine at tdc, and didnt take the plastic heat shield all the way off (just moved it out of the way)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
random-strike said:
it took about an hour the first time because i had to figure out how the plastic came off.

they were too noisey for me, so i adjusted them again last night to the tight side of the spec (i dont mind adjusting them often) and they are quiet now.

it took me about 30mins. i used the starter to put the engine at tdc, and didnt take the plastic heat shield all the way off (just moved it out of the way)
Thanks for the info! I'll be on it soon.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Search the threads under Maintenance for "Manual". There's a zip-file there for the full service manual.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I know this sounds funny but to be safe it's better to have the valves loose than tight. I’d go back and set them loose. You can use a socket to turn the engine via the hole in the side cover. That way you don’t have to use the starter.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BadRap said:
I know this sounds funny but to be safe it's better to have the valves loose than tight. I’d go back and set them loose. You can use a socket to turn the engine via the hole in the side cover. That way you don’t have to use the starter.
i used the starter on purpose, its faster than taking that plug out and turning the motor by hand

and what exactly is safer about having them on the loose side?

i already said i didnt mind adjusting them often. it'll make more power (probably not even tell though) and overall run better and quieter with them on the tight side.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The valve gets burnt up when its to tight because the valve is not seating all the way. When the valve sits, it transfers its heat to the head. So if it never sits all the way, it doesn't cool. That's why, when adjusting your valves, it's better to be a little loose than tight. The most important part of an engine is breathing. If the valves are (to loose) not opening wide enough your engine isn't getting enough air. The less air your motor is getting, the less power it makes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
06700GUY said:
The valve gets burnt up when its to tight because the valve is not seating all the way. When the valve sits, it transfers its heat to the head. So if it never sits all the way, it doesn't cool. That's why, when adjusting your valves, it's better to be a little loose than tight. The most important part of an engine is breathing. If the valves are (to loose) not opening wide enough your engine isn't getting enough air. The less air your motor is getting, the less power it makes.
thanks a lot expert engine man

THE VALVES ARE WITHIN SPECS. THE SPECS WOULD NOT BE THE SPECS IF THEY DIDN'T LET THE VALVE CLOSE ALL THE WAY. THE MOTOR WILL RUN LIKE COMPLETE SHIT IF THE VALVES NEVER COMPLETELY CLOSED.

THEY ARE ON THE TIGHT SIDE OF THE SPEC BECAUSE THE NOISE BOTHERS ME.

thanks for reading

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Whoa big fella, no need to get pissy. It's your bike and most of us are just here to give opinions and get advice. Use the info you want and forget the rest. Years of experience has taught me that going off on someone only makes you look like an ass. :sherlock:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SULLY0556 said:
Whoa big fella, no need to get pissy. It's your bike and most of us are just here to give opinions and get advice. Use the info you want and forget the rest. Years of experience has taught me that going off on someone only makes you look like an ass. :sherlock:
8)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
This guy, random-strike, is an ass, won't be here long :grin_nod: I hope :eek:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Doesn't matter to me who's on the forum, Everyone obviously has info to share. We all have big hairy ones, otherwise we'd be driving utility quads. I take everyone's suggestions and use what I like, if I don't like a suggestion, I just don't use it but I won't dog a guy for tryin' to help or for asking a question. That's just being a dick. :slap: :stfu:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Valves are be set to within the spec. It is true, if you set them to the tighter side of the spec, it will be a little quieter but also you need to take in consideration that valves expand with heat which takes up more gap. If the gap it takes up is out of spec, then it can end up burning up the valve. It also can cause detonation and ultimately can cause valve seat damage. Personally, when I set my valves I set them to about the middle of the spec knowing when they tighten up a little they should still be with-in the range called for.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
and what exactly is safer about having them on the loose side?
[/quote]

Look dude I was just trying to help out and answer your question.....If you don't want to know then don't ask! :)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
06700 guy, 99% of us DO appreciate the input so don't let a few negative comments get to ya! We need to stick together to keep up on the latest mods and fixes! Thanks!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Joe

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think the question has been answered.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts