Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Arizona and a few other states allow street legal atv's, but my question is, what happens when you travel to a state, who does not register street legal atv's? I mean, you have signals, etc, insurance, title, regist. etc, so what would the out come be? That's the problem with this contradicting counrty. Established by thieves, & now ran by crooks...:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am not sure if this post is legitamately asking what would happen or making a political statement? For the legit side of things all states have laws governing their state but always disclaim that you must contact local authorities to find out their laws. Since ATV's are only legal in certain states and are mostly treated as a variant of a motorcycle they do not necessarily fall under all the legalities of the Department of Transportation. The DOT ultimately decides what is legal for the country and the states can tailor that to their locale. So I would not encourage you to take your ATV to a state that does not allow ATV's on the street.

I say this because here in South Dakota I have a street legal Raptor but even in a place like Alaska it is illegal and I am pretty sure Alaska State Troopers won't give a damn about my South Dakota plate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The way I read it you would be fine its just like a motorcycle or car at that point... If it is good to go in your state it would be in the other 49... If you get pulled over in a different state for say window tint THEY HAVE TO USE THE LAW for the state you have a vehicle registration and tag in .... I have been thru that time and time again... The only time this does not work is for commercial vehicle registrations that fall under a CDL because they fall under Federal laws not state laws... I would call the state police for the states you want to vist and see what they have to say and call your state and see what they say about it being good out of state...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Im in SD also, took mine on a poker run and went through Iowa and Minnisota, at the time neither state allowed it. Passed by a few cops and they never even looked at me. Maybe they knew I was on a poker run from SD or didnt care anyway. I think the problem is when you need to register for tags it needs to be for the state your living in.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The way I read it you would be fine its just like a motorcycle or car at that point... If it is good to go in your state it would be in the other 49... If you get pulled over in a different state for say window tint THEY HAVE TO USE THE LAW for the state you have a vehicle registration and tag in .... I have been thru that time and time again... The only time this does not work is for commercial vehicle registrations that fall under a CDL because they fall under Federal laws not state laws... I would call the state police for the states you want to vist and see what they have to say and call your state and see what they say about it being good out of state...
Multiple states have passed laws that impose their own window tint laws on out of state vehicles. Tennessee comes to mind.

The suggestion on calling state police is always a good one, just hope that you find someone who knows the laws well. All to often I hear of people who got incorrect information from a LEO who thought they knew the right answer but didn't fully understand the law in question.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im in SD also, took mine on a poker run and went through Iowa and Minnisota, at the time neither state allowed it. Passed by a few cops and they never even looked at me. Maybe they knew I was on a poker run from SD or didnt care anyway. I think the problem is when you need to register for tags it needs to be for the state your living in.
I'd be willing to bet that if you were on your own on just any other day they would most likely give you gruff. I have been stopped by cops here in South Dakota that are oblivious to the fact that quads can be made street legal here. Once I show them the tag and registration then they give me their blessings and off I go. Here in SD though the law is on my side. If I were to head over to one of those states and get stopped by the right cop I would bet he's not going to give a crap about what SD does. Even if he doesn't impound your quad on the spot you would most likely get tied up in the courts while they sort out if its legal or not. I would probably just not take the chance and leave the quad at home.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Multiple states have passed laws that impose their own window tint laws on out of state vehicles. Tennessee comes to mind.

The suggestion on calling state police is always a good one, just hope that you find someone who knows the laws well. All to often I hear of people who got incorrect information from a LEO who thought they knew the right answer but didn't fully understand the law in question.
Good advice MD. Here in SC, it's definately illegal, and they will not register them as street legal. Few months ago, I was illegally riding on the highway, and a COUNTY cop stopped me. Said I was not to be on the highway with all 4's, however 2 wheels on road, and other 2 on grass was ok... LOL, OK!!!!

Few weeks later, a buddy and I are riding through a neighborhood, (who doesnt mind quads) and he is wheelie-ing at around 50mph, loses control, and quads hits someone's car. Damage was bad, so law was called. In SC, only State Troopers deal with accidents. When he came, he asked the owner of the car if she wanted to press charges? He also said I could write a heck of alot of tickets, and take his liscense, bc it's not suppose to be on the road anyway! The lady declined pressing charges, and the trooper never persued writing tickets or taking l's. However, I asked him about the 2 on 2 off rule on hwy! He replied, "That's why that dip shit works for the county & not state troopers" Not to be on road period!!!

I can't lie, I still ride mine on road some, and have passed many cops who just don't care to stop or bother me.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure if this post is legitamately asking what would happen or making a political statement? For the legit side of things all states have laws governing their state but always disclaim that you must contact local authorities to find out their laws. Since ATV's are only legal in certain states and are mostly treated as a variant of a motorcycle they do not necessarily fall under all the legalities of the Department of Transportation. The DOT ultimately decides what is legal for the country and the states can tailor that to their locale. So I would not encourage you to take your ATV to a state that does not allow ATV's on the street.

I say this because here in South Dakota I have a street legal Raptor but even in a place like Alaska it is illegal and I am pretty sure Alaska State Troopers won't give a damn about my South Dakota plate.
Was asking what would happen.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
The kicker is here in SC, you lose your license to DWI but can still ride a moped on the street that doesnt require a tag or anything....thats why we call them liquorcycles :lol:

But, a golfcarts okay on 2 lane roads where the speed limit is less than 35pmh ??? Or you're in Myrtle Beach or for that matter, near the coast.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ill tell ya what, If fuel prices keep rising hear in PA, the troopers are gona see a blue 3 plug raptor running the NE turnpike....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ill tell ya what, If fuel prices keep rising hear in PA, the troopers are gona see a blue 3 plug raptor running the NE turnpike....
I gotta tell ya I rail on my Raptor and still pull in well over 30+ MPG. Plus I have some Duro Scorchers which soften up the ride a bit. It is a lot of fun when you can go 0-60 faster than most any car.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The kicker is here in SC, you lose your license to DWI but can still ride a moped on the street that doesnt require a tag or anything....thats why we call them liquorcycles :lol:

But, a golfcarts okay on 2 lane roads where the speed limit is less than 35pmh ??? Or you're in Myrtle Beach or for that matter, near the coast.
I have a video from up here in the up state that shows an unmarked cop, actually nod at me, as I pass his cruiser on a SC hwy! 8)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I have a video from up here in the up state that shows an unmarked cop, actually nod at me, as I pass his cruiser on a SC hwy! 8)
Post it we wanna see a cool cop. I thought they was only make believe.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Tucson AZ and both my Raptor and Banshee are street legal. AZ is probably the easiest state make your quad street legal. You need a headlight, a horn that can be heard for 200 feet (squeeky bike horn works fine) a mirror (bicycle one works fine) tail/brake light and carry the state mandated registration/insurance. They don't mess with street legal tires and exhaust anymore than they do for motorcycles unless you piss them off and they write you for any and everything they can.

There is no inspection. You go to the DMV and sign a piece of paper that says it's legal and they give you a Motorcycle plate. If you're not legal and get pulled over it's on you.

Just because I'm legal here doesn't mean I am legal ANYWHERE else. Other states MIGHT approve but not because I am legal in AZ, only because their laws are the same or more lenient. (I doubt it)

Motor vehicle laws are no different than anything else, you have to be legal where you are.

I strongly recommend checking with the local authorities where you plan to ride.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Its the sort of thing where its legal in one state but not the other so I would leave it home or trailer it. One state does not have to honor the laws of another....concealed carry for instance.

+1 Wyoming is the same as Arizona and I think our laws there actually allow for side by side travel down a 2 lane highway

·
Registered
562 Posts
I live in Tucson AZ and both my Raptor and Banshee are street legal. AZ is probably the easiest state make your quad street legal. You need a headlight, a horn that can be heard for 200 feet (squeeky bike horn works fine) a mirror (bicycle one works fine) tail/brake light and carry the state mandated registration/insurance. They don't mess with street legal tires and exhaust anymore than they do for motorcycles unless you piss them off and they write you for any and everything they can.

There is no inspection. You go to the DMV and sign a piece of paper that says it's legal and they give you a Motorcycle plate. If you're not legal and get pulled over it's on you.

Just because I'm legal here doesn't mean I am legal ANYWHERE else. Other states MIGHT approve but not because I am legal in AZ, only because their laws are the same or more lenient. (I doubt it)

Motor vehicle laws are no different than anything else, you have to be legal where you are.

I strongly recommend checking with the local authorities where you plan to ride.
yes its very easy in az but wait till you go thru emisions i have to go every year. Your right some other states wont honnor az plates

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sooooooo, what about emissions? Do you pass? Do they care about what type of tires and exhaust you have?
they dont care what you have/ i run race gas and have to lean out my pc3 fine adjustments so it passes on the rap / i have a 07 kfx 700 and a 06 rap 700 / i get worried every year / they start doing emisions after the 4th or 5th year / so if you have an 2010 it wont start till i think 2015/ i feel sorry for 2 strokes i dont know how there gonna pass / i did hear a rummor there trying to do away with emisions for motorcycles in az for nxt year 2013/ now remember when you buy your OHV tag $25 you dont have to pay the full amount on your registration

·
Registered
87 Posts
they dont care what you have/ i run race gas and have to lean out my pc3 fine adjustments so it passes on the rap / i have a 07 kfx 700 and a 06 rap 700 / i get worried every year / they start doing emisions after the 4th or 5th year / so if you have an 2010 it wont start till i think 2015/ i feel sorry for 2 strokes i dont know how there gonna pass / i did hear a rummor there trying to do away with emisions for motorcycles in az for nxt year 2013/ now remember when you buy your OHV tag $25 you dont have to pay the full amount on your registration
Thanks for the info. I bought my 06 Raptor a few months ago so we'll see what happens when I renew the plates.

I just renewed the Banshee tags and no emission test was required.

Both bikes are street legal and have OHV stickers.

P.S. Sorry for highjacking the thread, we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts