Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently purchased a 2006 raptor that is brand new and am interested in adding an exhaust. Flipping thru the magazines and online, the DMC twin caught my eye and started this whole idea of "spending money for speed" rolling. I have used the search and have read all of the posts here, but still have not arrived at a conclusion.

A couple of questions for the group:
1) How are duals for trail riding? It seems that most people have commented on the performance running wide open on dunes or on a track, but I live in Massachusetts and ride woods and rocky trails with lots of hill terrain. How does a twin exhaust compare to a single exhaust for woods riding?
2) How loud is loud? I saw the DMC's were listed at 102 dB, and I imagine that the others are in close range. I have heard the two sound clips on another post and both sound pretty good, but I don't want something that is going to get me in trouble, or is too loud for personal taste. Riding only trails, we don't have sound tests like in the dunes, but there are a lot of neighbors near the woods. I also understand that there are silent cores that can be added, but I imagine that it takes back some power (?).

Pipe(s), fuel controller and air filter kit will run close to a grand, so I want to be as sure as possible. Thanks in advance.

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
As far as sound goes, I can't speak for the others, but I KNOW LTE is low enough to pass the Oregon sound requirements, especially with the quiet cores. Yes it cuts back on HP, and the Barkers in my humble opinion would be the way to go power wise so far, but they don't come with quiet cores.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Zebradog said:
Yes it cuts back on HP, and the Barkers in my humble opinion would be the way to go power wise so far, but they don't come with quiet cores.
But you can buy a quiet core for them!! :grin_nod: Cost around 39 dollars!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
onelunglow said:
Zebradog said:
Yes it cuts back on HP, and the Barkers in my humble opinion would be the way to go power wise so far, but they don't come with quiet cores.

And that adds another 39 dollars to the price! For those of us who already have bought and paid for the LTE's that came with quiet cores thats a healy chunk of change to switch exhaust.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I ride in colorado mtns all the time and love the lte duals. I did not notice any real diff between the gytr pipe and the lte's in the trail ride situation in the MTN'S, and for sand draggin the lte's are a little better than a single but not much. since I have owned both and tryed both and had custom maps made on both. I just like the look and sound of the dual's better. that's my 0.02

·
Registered
379 Posts
Regardless of which set of duals you go for, or most singles for that matter, if you're worried about your neighbours I suggest you get yourself a quiet core.

I'm running the DMC's, ride in the woods (bush where we come from)surrounding our property and my wife can hear me coming loud and clear from about 2 mile away and thats inside with the TV on.

Ok I exaggerated about the TV bit :lol:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I like my dmcs and they are great in the woods. They are a little loud. My brother-in-law has 18 acres across the street from me and my wife says the same thing. She says she can hear my bike like it's in the yard when I'm rideing over there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
i run the barkers duals and theyre pretty loud. louderr than my lrd single exhaust i used to have. so far so good in the trails..

·
Registered
639 Posts
Zebradog said:
As far as sound goes, I can't speak for the others, but I KNOW LTE is low enough to pass the Oregon sound requirements, especially with the quiet cores. Yes it cuts back on HP, and the Barkers in my humble opinion would be the way to go power wise so far, but they don't come with quiet cores.
they do if you ask for them

·
Registered
478 Posts
If I mainly rode trails I would go single. Weight is a little less. In my opinion they perform every bit as good as duals except when you run it at or near wide open. Just my .02.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info about the performance on trails, guys. I do like the look of the duals as well, and the sound clips from the other post sound pretty mean. i just wish they weren't so expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
onelunglow said:
Zebradog said:
Hmmm... I got charged $50 :unsure:

·
Registered
912 Posts
barkers give you more power but I don't like the look of the cans. If you're spending $700 for pipes, spend $39 more and get the quiet cores. That way you still have the pipes that give the most hp and the sound shouldn't bother your neighbors. 8)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah i ride trails all the time and brought the Barkers, just brought a set of quiet cores for when im riding around my block so i dont disturb the neighbours to much and rip them out for when im going out on a day trip .

·
Registered
113 Posts
QuadFreak said:
I have just recently purchased a 2006 raptor that is brand new and am interested in adding an exhaust. Flipping thru the magazines and online, the DMC twin caught my eye and started this whole idea of "spending money for speed" rolling. I have used the search and have read all of the posts here, but still have not arrived at a conclusion.

A couple of questions for the group:
1) How are duals for trail riding? It seems that most people have commented on the performance running wide open on dunes or on a track, but I live in Massachusetts and ride woods and rocky trails with lots of hill terrain. How does a twin exhaust compare to a single exhaust for woods riding?
2) How loud is loud? I saw the DMC's were listed at 102 dB, and I imagine that the others are in close range. I have heard the two sound clips on another post and both sound pretty good, but I don't want something that is going to get me in trouble, or is too loud for personal taste. Riding only trails, we don't have sound tests like in the dunes, but there are a lot of neighbors near the woods. I also understand that there are silent cores that can be added, but I imagine that it takes back some power (?).

Pipe(s), fuel controller and air filter kit will run close to a grand, so I want to be as sure as possible. Thanks in advance.
Depending on what kind of trail riding your doing (some wide open lots of climbs lot of close turns go for the 3 mods with duels) it's not about duels or singles it's about what you can handle for quick power. the main area I ride has lots of hill climbs and quick turns and my setup might be a little powerfull for it.Lots of places I might never get out of 3rd gear (but I go to the dunes to) if you ride close trails get a slip on a PCIII. If you have places you can get on it get the three mods and duel pipes...just my .02

·
Registered
224 Posts
i just bought inframe barker duals , pciii, and a trinty proflow for 1140....be here friday...so thats not to expensive...just look around...i just like the fact of having duals on my bike...that what kinda made me wanna them...i could care less about the damn neighbors.....plus i live way out in the boondocks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts