Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ive been riding at Sand Lake for over 2 years now. I was always told that the trails are "One way" being clockwise facing North. The Park Rangers say they dont patrol and dont have authority over the trails but "Un-officially" (Hush, hush. shhh! lol!) its clockwise. So, do you guys ride the trails clockwise and have you gotten flack from others who dont?

Opinions?

X

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't know but I will have to go up there and do an in depth investigation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
A local club posted one way signs up there a while back to cut down on the head-on collisions between quads. Before that it was "common knowledge" to go in the clockwise direction. Most folks that have ridden there over the years keep going in the clockwise direction. From what I heard, the signs were all ripped down from the trees a year or so ago by all the drunk idiot kids partying out there. Every now and then you'll see a sign here or there, but there's only a few of them left.

I don't ride there anymore on the weekends due to the large number of riders and the very small amount of space...

Those riders that do know about the clockwise rule and still ride the wrong direction on those trails deserve to get in an accident, but the people they hit sure don't.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Wow!!! They deserve to get into an accident. What if they run into you or someone close to you? You sound irresponsible and immature for saying that but I would still help you even though you don't "deserve" it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My buddy has talked about making signs and putting them up at sand lake for years. We were'nt sure if it would be appreciated by Oregon Parks Dept. We'll be there Thankgiving and maybe we'll give it a try.

·
Registered
219 Posts
dsan said:
Wow!!! They deserve to get into an accident. What if they run into you or someone close to you? You sound irresponsible and immature for saying that but I would still help you even though you don't "deserve" it.
Irresponsible and Immature...nope, just tired of other folks putting innocent folks at risk. I've hauled more people than I can count back out of the woods/dunes. Heck...I got hauled out for the first time myself not that long ago. If someone needs help, you have to help...

It's a sore point with me.... 2 of my friends over the years have been run into out there. Too many young kids out there not paying attention and running head on into people... I don't know how many times I've stopped along the trail and let people know that it's a general rule of thumb out there to go in the clockwise direction. Most tell you to screw off and continue on. Maybe they don't "deserve" to get hit...a bit harsh I suppose, but there are too many idiots at Sand Lake... Nothing like seing a teenage boy and his girlfriend riding 2-up with no helmets and launching off the top of the bowl with no spotter.

As far as putting up new signs goes, they won't last...And, when last asked, the BLM doesn't even want signs out there. Something about liability issues.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i just rode sand lake for the first time last week. didnt see any signs posted about direction in the trails.

we were the only ones riding, or else we may have found out though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses! I thought about putting up signs too, but hearing how some were torn down I guess Ill just pass. The reason I posted this was that last time out, I almost got taken out on the edge trail (North) going towards the bowl. By teen who was riding a YZ450 at warp speed and wasnt paying attention! Whew lol! (No helmet either- Ouch!)

Anyhow was there today and had a good time! Hopefully I can get a least one more "Nice weather" ride in! :3question:

Thanks again!

X

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've never been to Sand Lake but EVERYONE I know who has talks incessantly about the irresponsibility there. Is there something special about the place - or just the people?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Headrope said:
I've never been to Sand Lake but EVERYONE I know who has talks incessantly about the irresponsibility there. Is there something special about the place - or just the people?
Since its close (Closer sand quading) to Portland metro area I think it attracts a lot of the... Er um, "Irresponsible" people! Lol! But then again the world is full of those types! LOL!

X

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I was just there this weekend and was blown away by all the idiots out there just going in whatever direction they wanted. I couldnt believe how many ride without helmets and dont even think anything could ever happen to them. I did however notice a few signs this time, If I remember 1 was still on the tree and 2 were on the ground leaning against the tree.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts