Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I know this is a Raptor Forum and all, But I found an 89 Honda 250R for $6,000 (I know it sounds high but he said the frame alone cost him around $10,000)

Here's the goods:(From my 30 min walk-around)
Chassis and Frame:
OMF 1'-1/2" Aluminum Tubular Frame, Laeger +2" A-Arms, OMF +2" Aluminum Swingarm, +4"Excalibar Axle, Ohlins Shocks all around, Douglas Beadlocks w/Holeshots, Pro Taper Bars, Sidewinder Chain & Sprocket, New Plastic (No Decals yet),OMF Nerfs,Bumper and Heelguards.

Engine:
310cc Stroker Kit, Ported,Polished and Blueprinted,OMF Fatty Pipe & Silencer, V-Force Reed, and a Domed Head (Only runs on 110 Octane)...

Will get Pics soon, Its been sitting in his shop for 2 years. He hasn't ridden it since he broke his back in a car accident, Thought he would keep it around until he got better. I guess he is hard up for money and wants to sell. If I don't buy it he's putting it on Ebay with a Reserve of $6,500.

What do yall think?? Good deal or not??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean Rebuilding the Top-End every 20-30 hrs? If so, That doesnt bother me all that much :crazy:. The Question I have is if it is worth the $6000 that he is asking for it. This isn't going to be the Quad that I ride every weekend, That's what the Raptor is for (Whenever it comes in). So I might have to rebuild it once a year, maybe. I'm looking for a second quad so when I take my lady out riding with me she doesn't have to ride behind me. I'll just stick her on the Raptor so she can put-around and I could jump on the 250R or my Dirt bike.

I have always wanted a 250r and this one seems like it would suit my needs fine. Wouldn't have to do much to it except maybe a graphics kit + seat cover.
Would also be a great conversation piece. 8)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd get it if I had the cash around. A good 250R is hard to come by.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Kind of odd to see that kind of bike with an oem carb, but otherwise sounds like a pretty good ride. While the bike did cost a great deal to build the market value of the 250R has dropped considerably. You can get built up 450's or 660's with aftermarket shocks, a-arms, and swinger for around that price now. I'd be looking for a price more in the 4500 dollar category. If he won't come down a lot on price, let him post it on ebay with that reserve, I think he'd be hard pressed to get it unless someone is really craving a 250R and is willing to travel to him or ship it to get it.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i would love to have that bike, my friend out here in cali has one that is all souped up,and for sale, and he neeever rides it, 2x a year, cuz he's not really in to quads anymore, he got it cuz it was fast and i don't think he can even handle it, he only wants like 3 grand or something like that, not 100%sure, ,and it's in great shape, if you are willing to get a quad in california and maybe ship it there this would be a good one, i even know a guy that ships, i just bought my paddles from him, he only quoted me 375 from cali to MN, cuz i'm from there, so was just checking prices for if i ever go up there again.......if your really interested i can get ahold of him and get pics, video, info or what ever you want..i almost bought it, but i didn't have cash, had to finance my quad at the time..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*Update* PICS!!! --Has Aftermarket Carb BTW, Don't remember what kind though?

It's an "LRD" Frame and Swingarm, not an OMF (Don't know where I came up with that?? :damnit) Complete "LAEGER" front end It has OMF Beadlocks and maybe thats where the mixup came from.

He said it is a Clone of Bill Ballances 2002-03 Quad and he's got over 23,000 in it. It also comes with enough spare parts to build another 250r (Even a Frame and Motor)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thats alot of cash. I have one here for 3400. In Pittsburgh. New top end. Fast and nice.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Sounds a bit much. Old bikes like that are easy to work on, but it's a hefty investment for such and old bike. You can buy a new 2006-7 Raptor for that or less, not to mention a tricked out pre owned four stroke for that.

Good luck with your decision.

~Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Old Bike", Well, Maybe the motor (It's an 89) But the rest of the bike is only a couple of years old. He bought the frame from LRD and everything else for the bike new in 2003.

I know $6000 sounds kind of high :unsure:, But look at it this way first: I am getting a "Complete" Aluminum Frame Race bike and a "Stock" 250R, Like I said, It comes with all the Original parts including a spare 310cc motor (Brand new). Keep in mind all the parts are in boxes, So I would have to reconstruct everything. There is a possibility of me putting together a scrap 250R and just selling that to recover some of the $6,000. Shoot, I could at least get $3500 for it, Then I will have really only paid $2500 (Plus labor) for a bad a** bike that I don't really need, but have always wanted (Even though its not really a Honda 250r anymore) :3question:.

What about that? Am I making any since? (I think subconsiously I'm trying everything to talk myself into buying this bike :crazy:)

Thanks Guys, I really Appreciate your help.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
now the deal sounds better, with the extra un-assembled spare bike, i would do exactly what you said, sell that one, and have the 1 bad ass bike, if you do, let me ride!!! :grin_nod:
to bad they arn't put togeather all ready, and if they were, ask him how much he'd ask, cuz dang, that's a lot of work buddy, should be fun,and an adventure to hear what kind of posts you put up while putting it all togeather, nice to have a project , and also, when you don't get what YOU want,then you might kick your self in the ass for years to come,...who knows, this could be one hell of an investment.. :thumbsup: good luck , and like NIKE says, just do it...

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
man here in NS. a 2001 STOCK raptor used can cost you close to $9000 CAND on avg. a good Z 400 is about $7000 CAND so even $6000 USD for that deal hell i'd take it give them some tlc you got your self a good quad and and a sick quad :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
AJ RAPTOR said:
man here in NS. a 2001 STOCK raptor used can cost you close to $9000 CAND on avg. a good Z 400 is about $7000 CAND so even $6000 USD for that deal hell i'd take it give them some tlc you got your self a good quad and and a sick quad :thumbsup:
where can i sell my 01 for that! in michigan their worth about 2500.00 us

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The extra parts make a big difference in asking price. I'd say it was a decent deal and if I'd come acrossed it and didn't have the raptor built up I'd buy it for sure.

But don't build a parts bike and sell it off, you'll get a lot more money selling the parts you don't need than clumping them together into another bike. Personally I wouldn't sell the parts, they're a lot cheaper to store than to buy new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts