Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Im new to Raptor Forum and new the Raptors in general. I recently bought a brand new 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R SE and am looking into getting some upgrades. Not nessessarily performance upgrades, but cosmetic uprgrades. At least just for now. I've already purchased Nerf Bars, New Front Bumper, New Grab Bar, etc etc, but now im looking into an Exhaust. After looking around and researching, i came across the HMF Competition Series exhaust and had to have it. I just got it in the mail yesterday. Now as i was online researching, i came across discussions of Rejetting and Remapping. At the time, i had no idea what either was, but i soon learned from others. Again, im not really worried about HP gains, moreso than looks and sound for now. Plus, im on a budget.

Now to my point of this thread. Sorry if this thread has been done before. If so, i apologize ahead of time. Im totally new to all this and from what ive read, you all seem like a nice bunch of people. .

After reading about people saying you need to get a new programmer or something like that, i decided to call up my yamaha service company and a few others and ask them about it. All of them had similar answers. I shouldnt have to do anything extra to my quad if all it is is a slip on exhaust. They all said anything more than that, then i will have to reprogram. They all said i should be fine. They said the "engine" will forgive for something small like a new slip on, but anything more than that i will have to remap, or something like that.

So id like to get some more advice since ive seen some different comments online about it. The reason im posting is because i am worried it will hurt my quad or something. i read a few places that it can hurt the engine, but its a mixed bag out there.

Also, to add a few notes. 1. For all this year, it will probably only be ridden 1-2 times a month since it is being stored back home and not where i live now. 2. Again, im not worried about HP gains. Im only looking for cosmetic and sound differences right now. 3. i may not even add the HMF exhaust on for a few months till i get use to stock riding first. I had a 1998 yamaha Warrior 350 back in the day so im not new to sport quad riding, just new to that amount of power.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ALL!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, just to add a little more info, i called a few more yamaha service places and got the same answer. Just adding a slip on does not warrant a reprogram since it is a miniscule change. Anything more than that it is recommended. Im still open to any and all advice.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
You should be alright, but I would still look around for a used fuel programmer. I wouldn't ride it like that forever, but I'd start saving for one at least. It's just extra stress the engine doesn't need. They sometimes go for less then $100 in this forums classified section.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Are you asking if you will need a fuel controller with a slip on? I've never heard of anyone on here running without a fuel controller with a slip on, its definitely reccomended, and I would also advise you to get an intake while your at it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what most are saying. I dont need one right now, but dont run it without one forever. This year i will only be riding it 1-2 times a month, so it should be fine. But i will take your advice and start saving. I figure maybe at the end of this year or next sometime. It will still have very low hours anyway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i bought mine with an fmf slip on an no controller. i bought one in the classifieds somewhere for $35. ya know if you would have posted this last week i would have sold you that one for $25 and since your right down the road, i'm in apollo, i could have met up with you for a face to face sale and could have even hooked it up for ya. I would check the classified section often, cause sometimes there are killer deals on there that are only there for a day or so. you can find a used dobeck style one for around $100 almost regularly, but sometimes they are even cheaper. now the pc3 or 5 are pricier and around here a dyno tune is hard to get. steel city motors is the only one i have found and they deal in harleys but do tune quads. which i have seen alot of people aren't exactly pleased with the results they got from spending $150 to get a tune. so dobeck style, or pcv with the autotune add on is your best bet.

enjoy your quad, and don't be tryin to sneak it out on to lernerville for some dirt track hot laps. :lol:

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
my girlfriends brother runs his with a slip on and no controller and has had no issues...except the roll over but that wasn't due to that

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thats what i like to hear. I understand that each quad is different, even if its the same year and type, but i keep hearing that it will be fine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
well it will be ok temporarily. i wouldn't push your luck with it tho. even with my controller, which i didn't have set perfectly, when i rebuilt it, it looked pretty lean. i had put 35 hrs on it, and no idea what the first guy put on it in the 6 mos he rode before running his leg over. the piston and cylinder looked perfect, but the head definetely looked a little light on the exhaust valves. not nearly as bad as the warrior i rebuilt at the same time. it was almost white!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the HMF Comp pipe too and when i installed it the bike did run abit lean. I bought my fuel controller and pipe at the same time. Just installed the pipe first because i was so excited to hear how it sounded. I would get a controller IMO.

·
Registered
415 Posts
oh and if your trying to ride it in the cold, it may be too lean to run right. cold air has more oxygen than hot summer air. i'm not bill nye so i can't explain it, but i know that i had to adjust my controller quite a bit to ride when it was 19 out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts