Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im new to Raptor Forum and new the Raptors in general. I recently bought a brand new 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R SE and am looking into getting some upgrades. Not nessessarily performance upgrades, but cosmetic uprgrades. At least just for now. I've already purchased Nerf Bars, New Front Bumper, New Grab Bar, etc etc, but now im looking into an Exhaust. After looking around and researching, i came across the HMF Competition Series exhaust and had to have it. I just got it in the mail yesterday. Now as i was online researching, i came across discussions of Rejetting and Remapping. At the time, i had no idea what either was, but i soon learned from others. Again, im not really worried about HP gains, moreso than looks and sound for now. Plus, im on a budget.

Now to my point of this thread. Sorry if this thread has been done before. If so, i apologize ahead of time. Im totally new to all this and from what ive read, you all seem like a nice bunch of people. :).

After reading about people saying you need to get a new programmer or something like that, i decided to call up my yamaha service company and a few others and ask them about it. All of them had similar answers. I shouldnt have to do anything extra to my quad if all it is is a slip on exhaust. They all said anything more than that, then i will have to reprogram. They all said i should be fine. They said the "engine" will forgive for something small like a new slip on, but anything more than that i will have to remap, or something like that.

So id like to get some more advice since ive seen some different comments online about it. The reason im posting is because i am worried it will hurt my quad or something. i read a few places that it can hurt the engine, but its a mixed bag out there.

Also, to add a few notes. 1. For all this year, it will probably only be ridden 1-2 times a month since it is being stored back home and not where i live now. 2. Again, im not worried about HP gains. Im only looking for cosmetic and sound differences right now. 3. i may not even add the HMF exhaust on for a few months till i get use to stock riding first. I had a 1998 yamaha Warrior 350 back in the day so im not new to sport quad riding, just new to that amount of power.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ALL!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, just to add a little more info, i called a few more yamaha service places and got the same answer. Just adding a slip on does not warrant a reprogram since it is a miniscule change. Anything more than that it is recommended. Im still open to any and all advice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
You could prob get away with leaving the airbox lid on and running just a slip on, What i would do is do a plug chop, which would be ride it somewhere that you can give it full throttle in liek 2nd gear and at the peak of that hit thekill switch with out letting off the gas and then check the plug color to see if its running too lean with the slip on, if it is id def get the power commander asap

·
Registered
7 Posts
my bike has been popping since i did my barkers, intake and pc5 have you noticed any problems? what does your map look like they said yhe pc5 was all set up and good to go out of the box but still it pops.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
my bike has been popping since i did my barkers, intake and pc5 have you noticed any problems? what does your map look like they said yhe pc5 was all set up and good to go out of the box but still it pops.
A dyno will clear up the popping, yes pc 5 with a map on it for your mode is plug and play but its not 100% right every bike is a little different the map makes it like 97% there the dyno will clean up the rest. Mine did the same btw

·
Registered
7 Posts
great get the stage 2 cam monday and the ignition modual then off to the dyno. anyone now of one in the portland or area?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts